Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, and I completely understand. FWIW, at home, my 2016 Hackintosh is still running 10.11.4 because I was afraid to update it. I'm going to be updating the OS soon, but for work, I literally just need to have a few pieces of code running, and running well, and it's not OS-dependent (as long as it runs ... f-u Windows). Geekbench score was around 5.2k single (slightly below average) and 58k multi (above average for the CPU, but I had a basic OC done in the BIOS with a "fast" turning).

So, I've gotten 10.13.6 installed, and running today. Yay! I could tell right away things were going better because there wasn't a few-second lag when typing with the keyboard. The GPU gives shoddy performance (won't go above 25% usage) but as noted, nothing I do YET for work that I'll run in macOS needs a GPU. My biggest two issues right now:

(1) It won't at all recognize the Unix-formatted drives in the computer, so I am unable to access 14 TB of data including a 2TB NVMe (and because the spare SSD I had on which I installed the macOS is quite old, my code running on all cores can only run around 30% speed due to disk I/O bottlenecks);

(2) it doesn't recognize the Thunderbolt port on the motherboard (Unix does) so I don't have direct fast access to my 80 TB NAS -- I can access it over ethernet, but it's MUCH slower.

Neither of these are deal-killers for home because I won't have Unix and I don't have a TB3 NAS, and I'll be using an AMD GPU so I should be able to install the latest OS and can deal with the GPU issues (if any) then.

But for work, do you (or anyone) know if there's a way for macOS to read / recognize Unix-formatted drives (I did an internet search, couldn't find an easy, free way), and to get the TB3 port working? The System Profiler says a driver for the TB3 isn't loaded. And I don't have Windows nor any spare drives left to try to install it.

For Linux EXT partitions, try putting the EXT4 drivers in EFI > CLOVER > drivers64UEFI folder. It should auto mount in macOS. if it doesn't, you probably have to mount it manually via Terminal (diskutil) if Disk Utility doesn't see it. But it should work.

Attachments

• VBoxExt4-64.efi
    19.9 KB · Views: 51
For Linux EXT partitions, try putting the EXT4 drivers in EFI > CLOVER > drivers64UEFI folder. It should auto mount in macOS. if it doesn't, you probably have to mount it manually via Terminal (diskutil) if Disk Utility doesn't see it. But it should work.
Thanks. I installed a trial of another piece of software, so I think I have to uninstall that before seeing if this works. (How do you mount via diskutil in the Terminal?)

I've been trying to run my code but I'm encountering OS freezes on the Mac. I'm guessing you'll need to see something in the Console log in order to diagnose? It's possible it's related to this issue of reading the EXT4 data, but I'm not sure since I also can't max out the CPU for minutes on end (seems to be what's going on when the computer freezes). Temps are fine, capping out at ~70°C, so it shouldn't be a thermal shutdown. It gets hotter when running in Linux.

Thanks. I installed a trial of another piece of software, so I think I have to uninstall that before seeing if this works. (How do you mount via diskutil in the Terminal?)

I've been trying to run my code but I'm encountering OS freezes on the Mac. I'm guessing you'll need to see something in the Console log in order to diagnose? It's possible it's related to this issue of reading the EXT4 data, but I'm not sure since I also can't max out the CPU for minutes on end (seems to be what's going on when the computer freezes). Temps are fine, capping out at ~70°C, so it shouldn't be a thermal shutdown. It gets hotter when running in Linux.

The .efi driver for EXT4 should show your disk in Disk Utility (after you remove what I assume is something like FUSE?).

If not, you can see if the EXT4 partition even shows up via diskutil.

Launch Terminal (you might have to elevate privilege via sudo (i.e. sudo diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2):
Code:
diskutil list

See if your EXT4 partition shows up (after removing FUSE and using the .efi driver instead)

Then you can just use Unix-style commands to mount your disk, i.e., find your diskXsX (example: disk 1 for disk1, s2 for partition 2):

Code:
diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2

Regarding your freeze, it may be related to whatever driver you installed (I am just guessing its FUSE, I always avoid that thing). But we cannot know exactly what the freeze is unless we know what steps you're taking to get to that freeze and console logs are not always helpful.

70c on the CPU in normal operations (i.e. not full load) and especially idle is way too high. I am not sure how your cooling system is. Is it on air? Water?

PSA: VirtualSMC 1.0.3 with sensor support for Sage/10G and other Asus motherboards has been released

VirtualSMC has always had the same boot speed for me and just tried this latest one and not much of a difference. :)
And it doesn't show all my cores in iStatMenu...nor Radeon VII GPU die.

VirtualSMC has always had the same boot speed for me and just tried this latest one and not much of a difference. :)

Yep was missing a lot of sensor data so switched back. Also couldn't tell the difference between boot speed :lol:

The .efi driver for EXT4 should show your disk in Disk Utility (after you remove what I assume is something like FUSE?).

If not, you can see if the EXT4 partition even shows up via diskutil.

Launch Terminal (you might have to elevate privilege via sudo (i.e. sudo diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2):
Code:
diskutil list

See if your EXT4 partition shows up (after removing FUSE and using the .efi driver instead)

Then you can just use Unix-style commands to mount your disk, i.e., find your diskXsX (example: disk 1 for disk1, s2 for partition 2):

Code:
diskutil mount /dev/disk1s2
I was using extFS. And also installed FUSE to try. I just need to uninstall both and try your suggestion clean. I've set code to run overnight in Unix and it should be done when I get in in the AM to try booting into macOS again and trying.

Regarding your freeze, it may be related to whatever driver you installed (I am just guessing its FUSE, I always avoid that thing). But we cannot know exactly what the freeze is unless we know what steps you're taking to get to that freeze and console logs are not always helpful.

70c on the CPU in normal operations (i.e. not full load) and especially idle is way too high. I am not sure how your cooling system is. Is it on air? Water?
70°C is on a full load with slight overclocking (3.8 GHz on all cores/threads for several minutes). Cooling is Corsair's H110i and the built-in case fans for Corsair's 750D Airflow. Idle, CPU temps are around 35-40°C. My point was that I wasn't hitting 100°C for a thermal shutdown, so that was not the issue causing a freeze.

Edited to Add: This morning I tried it with the motherboard's "extreme" overclocking profile. Temperatures max out at a stable 94-97°C, which is higher than I'd like, but it's stable and running faster.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I now have a 7820x OC @ 5GHz (throttles @4.8GHz after a few seconds) with a Corsair 360mm AIO, do you think I should delid+liquidmetal my CPU? Given I should gain about 15°C, will I be able to clock @ 5.2GHz or more? Anyone has some experience here?

Yep was missing a lot of sensor data so switched back. Also couldn't tell the difference between boot speed :lol:

Interesting, any of you using FileVault2? Maybe it's just a placebo effect :think::lol:

I’m not.

Switched back and did some tests. Not noticing much difference between the two anymore, maybe 1-2s, but my timer could be imprecise. The more you know :D

In other news, seems the LG UltraFine 5k display is unavailable at Apple Stores now, I hope Apple comes up with a new great display at WWDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back