Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
wanted to get some wisdom, since the lastest price of the 7980xe dropped to almost the same price as the 10980xe, which one would you get?
I'm not a high end hackintosher so you'd be better off asking those that own a 7980XE CPU. I just don't need that many cores and that much power for what I do on a daily basis. It would be a waste of energy and money.

I'm not a high end hackintosher so you'd be better off asking those that own a 7980XE CPU. I just don't need that many cores and that much power for what I do on a daily basis. It would be a waste of energy and money.

me neither, at least for now. But the prices dropped by so much, although still very expensive

wanted to get some wisdom, since the lastest price of the 7980xe dropped to almost the same price as the 10980xe, which one would you get?

Probably best to wait for the actual release of the 10980xe. See what the performance of the 10980xe is, and then decide. Remember, to get the best performance out of a 7980xe, you should delid it, which you have to do yourself or pay someone to do it and I don't think that with a 9980xe or the 10980xe, that would be necessary. A 7980xe that has not been delidded would not match the performance of the 9980xe or the 10980xe.

Probably best to wait for the actual release of the 10980xe. See what the performance of the 10980xe is, and then decide. Remember, to get the best performance out of a 7980xe, you should delid it, which you have to do yourself or pay someone to do it and I don't think that with a 9980xe or the 10980xe, that would be necessary. A 7980xe that has not been delidded would not match the performance of the 9980xe or the 10980xe.

I was reading that there are delidding services for $60USD, I wouldn't be so brave to do it myself. You are so right, best to wait a bit for the actual release before jumping in.

I want to get some wisdom. Since the lastest price of the 7980xe dropped to almost the same price as the 10980xe, which one would you get?

After the latest announcement about Intel’s competitive price drops, I may opt for the 10980xe as my workload is insanely heavy CPU intensive. So my understanding is that it should just work using this guide right? It seems to be X299 compatible.

I want to get some wisdom. Since the lastest price of the 7980xe dropped to almost the same price as the 10980xe, which one would you get?
Be cautious before jumping in!. There were compatibility issues in hackintoshing with some versions of 99xx series, CPUs failed to boot to macOS was working perfect with Win 10. So wait and see. I bought my 9900x after verifying of the same CPU reference in GB browser with macOS install.

Where can I find the driver?

I have a WS Sage CEB (not 10G), and it works great in Windows, MacOS and Linux Mint.....Clover or OpenCore, doesn't matter, the Sage works great. Plenty of configs to pick from too.....
Hi @mm2margaret, I ask you and anyone else who owns the Asus WS Sage X299 (no 10G), what changes in the Clover configuration compared to the 10G version.
Would you be so kind as to share your EFI? Thanks a lot!!

Before I start, the last hack I built was in 2011. So I'm basically a newb starting over. For work purposes, I've been on a maxed out 2017 MacBook Pro and now that I'm working with heavy 4K workloads- the time has come for me to consider a major upgrade.

Also, I need to thank EVERYBODY who's contributed over the last 142 pages. This was an intense read through (skimming- but I'm getting the idea here).

So over the last few days, I've combed through almost the entirety of the last 142 pages of this thread. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger in the next month and go with the following config (will be upgrading pieces over time, but need a machine running sooner than later):

- Mojave (latest- I need SOME 32 bit support for certain apps that haven't been updated / may never be updated)
- Asus WS X299 SAGE /10G (although I've seen other boards with X299 but can't find any resources on it, i.e., the MSI Creator X299)
- Intel i9 9980XE / 109980XE (depending on release / pricing in the next month in Canada)
- 64 GB RAM (3200 minimum)
- Sapphire RX 580 (I'm reading mixed things about using 580's generally-any other solid card recommendation is welcomed that's in the lower end range at the moment, will consider a Radeon VII or better in a few months).
- Samsung 560 EVO 1TB (already using in the old hack and will be re-purposed here)
- Samsung 560 EVO 500 GB (as above, re-purposed)
- Thunderbolt 3 AIC (see below).
- WiFi/Bluetooth via a Fenvi FV-T919 AC / Bluetooth 4.0 card from my older hack.
- Haven't chosen a PSU, but I'm gathering an 800W with a good rating (silver/gold) is most likely my option here.

Now I have a TON of questions relating to certain parts of this build.

My usage is going to be FCPX & various Audio apps (Audition, Ableton / various plug ins). FCPX I need to be able to export both ProRes 4444 and H264. And I have some other apps in my workflow that are multi-core dependent, that's why I'm aiming at this machine.

Here goes all the questions.

I really REALLY want Thunderbolt 3 w/ hot plug support. My current 2017 Macbook Pro is integrated in my desk setup. using 1 cable into a Caldigit dock. This breaks out certain devices (2 LG 4K monitors via Displayport and passthrough Thunderbolt 3 through the dock). A Focusrite Scarlett 2in2, various hard drives and a Elgato HD60 S).

I'd like to be able to use this.

- Do I have to stick with an Asus TB3 adapter, will a Gigabyte AIC work and regardless of which option, which revision should I look for in terms of max compatibility / hotplug (I know it won't work OOB- but even with tweaking, I'd really want this option).
- Is passing the display through a TB3 card a major issue?

Also, I'd like to use a 2nd Thunderbolt 3 to network directly to another machine (either my 2017 Macbook Pro ... or a literal clone of this build- which I'd probably build with identical parts in 3-4 months after this one).

I'm seeing that there's BIOS updates now for the 10000 series processors, but pricing may be a consideration here (at time of writing this, the 9980XE dropped to ~$1350 CAD (originally ~$2600 CAD), but we don't have any MSRP on the 10980 XE). After speaking to a lot of people at different stores, the assumption is that it could drop again. I know some of you have done BIOS updates on your boards to enable these new 10000 series processors and have had success.

The intention here is to follow the guide written by @kgp to the letter. I'm aware that I will have a much better understanding of how DSDTs and such work. I'm only hoping that I can get this thing as close to functional / fully functional as painlessly as possible.

Once this is done, I'm making a clone image of some sort and storing it in my Dropbox and NAS so I can roll back if anything gets weird later.

Is there any recommendations / things to really watch out for in this build so far?

Again, thank you to everyone who's contributed so far. I hope I can get some help as I go, but I will do my best to follow the guide to the letter before reaching out for help. Also, trying to avoid OpenCore altogether as I don't think it will benefit me- unless I'm wrong. Want this to go as smoothly as possible (most of us do I imagine) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back