Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I start, the last hack I built was in 2011. So I'm basically a newb starting over. For work purposes, I've been on a maxed out 2017 MacBook Pro and now that I'm working with heavy 4K workloads- the time has come for me to consider a major upgrade.

Also, I need to thank EVERYBODY who's contributed over the last 142 pages. This was an intense read through (skimming- but I'm getting the idea here).

So over the last few days, I've combed through almost the entirety of the last 142 pages of this thread. So I think I'm going to pull the trigger in the next month and go with the following config (will be upgrading pieces over time, but need a machine running sooner than later):

- Mojave (latest- I need SOME 32 bit support for certain apps that haven't been updated / may never be updated)
- Asus WS X299 SAGE /10G (although I've seen other boards with X299 but can't find any resources on it, i.e., the MSI Creator X299)
- Intel i9 9980XE / 109980XE (depending on release / pricing in the next month in Canada)
- 64 GB RAM (3200 minimum)
- Sapphire RX 580 (I'm reading mixed things about using 580's generally-any other solid card recommendation is welcomed that's in the lower end range at the moment, will consider a Radeon VII or better in a few months).
- Samsung 560 EVO 1TB (already using in the old hack and will be re-purposed here)
- Samsung 560 EVO 500 GB (as above, re-purposed)
- Thunderbolt 3 AIC (see below).
- WiFi/Bluetooth via a Fenvi FV-T919 AC / Bluetooth 4.0 card from my older hack.
- Haven't chosen a PSU, but I'm gathering an 800W with a good rating (silver/gold) is most likely my option here.

Now I have a TON of questions relating to certain parts of this build.

My usage is going to be FCPX & various Audio apps (Audition, Ableton / various plug ins). FCPX I need to be able to export both ProRes 4444 and H264. And I have some other apps in my workflow that are multi-core dependent, that's why I'm aiming at this machine.

Here goes all the questions.

I really REALLY want Thunderbolt 3 w/ hot plug support. My current 2017 Macbook Pro is integrated in my desk setup. using 1 cable into a Caldigit dock. This breaks out certain devices (2 LG 4K monitors via Displayport and passthrough Thunderbolt 3 through the dock). A Focusrite Scarlett 2in2, various hard drives and a Elgato HD60 S).

I'd like to be able to use this.

- Do I have to stick with an Asus TB3 adapter, will a Gigabyte AIC work and regardless of which option, which revision should I look for in terms of max compatibility / hotplug (I know it won't work OOB- but even with tweaking, I'd really want this option).
- Is passing the display through a TB3 card a major issue?

Also, I'd like to use a 2nd Thunderbolt 3 to network directly to another machine (either my 2017 Macbook Pro ... or a literal clone of this build- which I'd probably build with identical parts in 3-4 months after this one).

I'm seeing that there's BIOS updates now for the 10000 series processors, but pricing may be a consideration here (at time of writing this, the 9980XE dropped to ~$1350 CAD (originally ~$2600 CAD), but we don't have any MSRP on the 10980 XE). After speaking to a lot of people at different stores, the assumption is that it could drop again. I know some of you have done BIOS updates on your boards to enable these new 10000 series processors and have had success.

The intention here is to follow the guide written by @kgp to the letter. I'm aware that I will have a much better understanding of how DSDTs and such work. I'm only hoping that I can get this thing as close to functional / fully functional as painlessly as possible.

Once this is done, I'm making a clone image of some sort and storing it in my Dropbox and NAS so I can roll back if anything gets weird later.

Is there any recommendations / things to really watch out for in this build so far?

Again, thank you to everyone who's contributed so far. I hope I can get some help as I go, but I will do my best to follow the guide to the letter before reaching out for help. Also, trying to avoid OpenCore altogether as I don't think it will benefit me- unless I'm wrong. Want this to go as smoothly as possible (most of us do I imagine) lol

For me The Guide written by @kgp for X299 platform is very detailed and perhaps (and surely ) the most complete that can be found in the world.
This continuous supoport here is the logical continuation of the beginning.
I started on January 14, 2018, there were already 353 pages of High Sierra guide I had read before.

No special recommendations except be methodical, patient and make regular backups before any improvement or upgrade.
Everyone here is ready to help you day after day and we all have at one time a specific problem to pose here. ;)

Last edited:
New Mojave build 18G1012 (1.45GB security update)

For me The Guide written by @kgp for X299 platform is very detailed and perhaps the most complete that can be found in the world.
This continuous supoport here is the logical continuation of the beginning.
I started on January 14, 2018, there were already 353 pages of High Sierra guide I had read before.

No special recommendations except be methodical, patient and make regular backups before any improvement or upgrade.
Everyone here is ready to help you day after day and we all have at one time a specific problem to pose here. ;)

That's the plan ;) ... After my last hack experience, and watching other people have issues, the idea of restoring from a USB SSD to get a machine up and running again after a bad series of upgrades / tweaks is essential.

I'll start posting once I acquire all the hardware to commence.

I feel so appreciative for a lot of you for going through a lot of the hard parts on behalf of people like me (Notably @izo1 for the RAM woes and switching boards).

Thank you to all of you for the work you do, in advance and most likely for the help throughout this process.

Hi @mm2margaret, I ask you and anyone else who owns the Asus WS Sage X299 (no 10G), what changes in the Clover configuration compared to the 10G version.
Would you be so kind as to share your EFI? Thanks a lot!!

Due to bad experiences posting my EFI in the past, I don't post it anymore. Sorry. You can view some screenshots of my config at my post on this page of the X299 - Catalina Support thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-x299-catalina-support.279556/page-18

That config is specific to me and my needs however, and could be made much slimmer, meaning not loading all those kexts and additional efi files, etc, but at the time and I was experimenting with FileVault, and some other things that probably don't apply to you and your needs.

You can easily use @kgp 's config in his Mojave thread on the X299, it's still relevant and that's what I used. It's still available on this site.

Last edited:
@djbuddha keep in mind that the whole industry is shifting right now due to AMD giving Intel a butt-whooping.

Most likely Intel will come out with a new X-series lineup maybe mid next year? This latest refresh and price drop was due to desperation and preparing for 39 50X and Thread ripper 2.

@djbuddha keep in mind that the whole industry is shifting right now due to AMD giving Intel a butt-whooping.

Most likely Intel will come out with a new X-series lineup maybe mid next year? This latest refresh and price drop was due to desperation and preparing for 39 50X and Thread ripper 2.

Oh for sure. But I think I'll be happy for years and years on this build with a 9980XE or a 10980XE. I've suffered through mobile/throttled Macbook Pro CPUs for so long, just want to get my render times down substantially. This machine could last me a VERY long time with the way my workflow has been positioned.

Also, this guide @kgp posted is for the X99 board, so do I need to follow his old guide he did with the Prime X299 Deluxe Board to do the WS SAGE 10G? - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

Or will the original guide work? - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-successful-build-extended-guide.255117/

Oh for sure. But I think I'll be happy for years and years on this build with a 9980XE or a 10980XE. I've suffered through mobile/throttled Macbook Pro CPUs for so long, just want to get my render times down substantially. This machine could last me a VERY long time with the way my workflow has been positioned.

Also, this guide @kgp posted is for the X99 board, so do I need to follow his old guide he did with the Prime X299 Deluxe Board to do the WS SAGE 10G? - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

Or will the original guide work? - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-successful-build-extended-guide.255117/

The original X299 thread from KGP is good and very detailed and you should follow it.

Obviously it hasn't been updated for a very long time, and Clover bootloader has changed its directory structure. I personally haven't used Clover ever since they changed the directory structure so can't help there, but others will be able to.

And then there's also OpenCore bootloader, which some users (including me) are using. There's a repo available for it (Prime Deluxe and Sage 10 confirmed), including my own EFI I use every day...but there really is no support for it so you're on your own with OpenCore. The OpenCore X299 thread is a mess and I don't want to touch it anymore :)
But you're more than welcome to try it, there's a configuration image with designated PCIe slots for each build in each ZIP, and you can decide to use the DJ7 or IZO1 SAGE10 EFIs.

The original X299 thread from KGP is good and very detailed and you should follow it.

Obviously it hasn't been updated for a very long time, and Clover bootloader has changed its directory structure. I personally haven't used Clover ever since they changed the directory structure so can't help there, but others will be able to.

And then there's also OpenCore bootloader, which some users (including me) are using. There's a repo available for it (Prime Deluxe and Sage 10 confirmed), including my own EFI I use every day...but there really is no support for it so you're on your own with OpenCore. The OpenCore X299 thread is a mess and I don't want to touch it anymore :)
But you're more than welcome to try it, there's a configuration image with designated PCIe slots for each build in each ZIP, and you can decide to use the DJ7 or IZO1 SAGE10 EFIs.

Hahaha fair enough. I had a feeling it was going to be a while before OC sees real organized support throughout the community. (Gathered this from this thread as I basically skimmed the entire thing). Hopefully I can ask you a few questions as I go through it when I finalize my build.

They have?

I updated to the latest Clover in preparation for the 10.15 update. I can't say I noticed anything different. Update was very straightforward (I didn't use their installer though, I extracted the files from the installer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back