Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, may have finally solved the issue with SAGE/10G (It may seem minor but for me it's big).

As you know, SAGE/10G has 1 onboard USB3.0 connector and one USB-C 3.1Gen2 connector.

USB-C 3.1Gen2 > USB3.0 adapter did not work at all.

Fresco Logic PCIe USB cards worked, but they were buggy (caused stutters and sudden system freezes).

So I now have BT connected to the onboard USB3.0 (with an adapter) and that works great.
Then I added this SilverStone Technology USB 3.1 Gen2 PCIe Card Internal 19Pin Connector ECU04-E-USA card for the front 2 ports (which are USB3.0). Since USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0/2.0, this card is perfect for front 2 ports (although it requires a SATA Power connector). And it has no additional ports so you won't have any conflicts so it's dedicated just for the front 2 ports. Speeds are great and no glitches or stability issues anywhere. However you can't use this card with Bluetooth USB connector, it just won't work (Probably has to do with the fact that it's USB3.1 chipset and we are feeding it USB2.0 protocol through adapters).

View attachment 421964

Since this is an ASMedia chip, it's pretty much universally supported both in macOS and Windows with no drivers needed whatsoever.

Anywho, this solves the issue for me with SAGE/10G.

Will report if I find anything different.
I am seeing that the x299 Sage has no USB 2.0 headers on the board itself. I need at least 2 - one for the Titan Ridge Card and one for the BT/WiFi card. Does anyone have any ideas here? I see that the above quoted post is a good solution for USB 3 ports but I'm pretty sure I need at last 2 USB 2 headers to get these 2 cards to work.

Please advise if anyone knows!

And thank you!

I am seeing that the x299 Sage has no USB 2.0 headers on the board itself. I need at least 2 - one for the Titan Ridge Card and one for the BT/WiFi card. Does anyone have any ideas here? I see that the above quoted post is a good solution for USB 3 ports but I'm pretty sure I need at last 2 USB 2 headers to get these 2 cards to work.

And thank you!
I’d highly recommended to use the onboard 3 header for bt/ Titan ridge with a internal usb 3 to usb 2 adapter. You can then use the nzxt hub to plug those two devices in.
Then if you need front usb 3, use one of the compatible pci cards with an internal usb 3 header

See if DisplayPort 1.2 is enabled/disabled if you have that option.

Not sure what monitor you use.

Also of course you already know, but double check if CSM is enabled/disabled.

On my end, if I have FreeSync enabled in the monitor (38UC99) I see nothing but black unless an OS loads.

csm is disabled and I’m using the lg uk600. I’ll double check the dp and free sync settings. Thanks!

I’d highly recommended to use the onboard 3 header for bt/ Titan ridge with a internal usb 3 to usb 2 adapter. You can then use the nzxt hub to plug those two devices in.
Then if you need front usb 3, use one of the compatible pci cards with an internal usb 3 header
is the usb 2 header on Titan ridge really necessary? I didn’t plug it in and I see the card. Just don’t have any devices to check function right now.

I see but the only ones I am finding are single USB 3 to 2. Do you know of any that have 2 ports?

Or if @izo1 is right about the Titan ridge usb header, then I may be ok.

is the usb 2 header on Titan ridge really necessary? I didn’t plug it in and I see the card. Just don’t have any devices to check function right now.

it’s only required if you have any usb 2 devices. The power connectors aren’t required either unless you need power delivery. Technically the thunderbolt header isn’t required either unless you need hot plug. If all you care about is usb c hot plug you can short pins 3 and 5 of the header.

I see but the only ones I am finding are single USB 3 to 2. Do you know of any that have 2 ports?

Or if @izo1 is right about the Titan ridge usb header, then I may be ok.

Ah, meant like this since the adapters are only single.

Internal usb 3 header -> usb 3 to usb 2 adapter -> nzxt hub -> bluetooth and Titan ridge header

And thank you!

if you need 2 internal usb2 ports you can get the other one @djlild7hina recommended. Hasn’t been confirmed working yet tho.

it’s only required if you have any usb 2 devices. The power connectors aren’t required either unless you need power delivery. Technically the thunderbolt header isn’t required either unless you need hot plug. If all you care about is usb c hot plug you can short pins 3 and 5 of the header.

Ah, meant like this since the adapters are only single.

Internal usb 3 header -> usb 3 to usb 2 adapter -> nzxt hub -> bluetooth and Titan ridge header
Ahh! I see! Thank you!

OK. Just to be clear, I am seeing this USB 3 to 2 adapter has the correct USB 3 side (female) but the USB 2 side is male and it looks like the NZXT hub needs a female connection. Does this mean I need a female to female cable as well? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to keep guessing.

Ahh! I see! Thank you!

OK. Just to be clear, I am seeing this USB 3 to 2 adapter has the correct USB 3 side (female) but the USB 2 side is male and it looks like the NZXT hub needs a female connection. Does this mean I need a female to female cable as well? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to keep guessing.

Nope that's all you should need. The NZXT hub comes with a cable that connects from the white port to a USB 2 header. You don't connect the USB 3 to 2 adapter straight to the NZXT hub.

if you need 2 internal USB 2 ports you can get the other one @djlild7hina recommended. Hasn’t been confirmed working yet tho.

I'm tempted to try this one since the 011 dynamic xl has 4 front usb 3... Or just switch to a Rampage board lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back