Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, may have finally solved the issue with SAGE/10G (It may seem minor but for me it's big).

As you know, SAGE/10G has 1 onboard USB3.0 connector and one USB-C 3.1Gen2 connector.

USB-C 3.1Gen2 > USB3.0 adapter did not work at all.

Fresco Logic PCIe USB cards worked, but they were buggy (caused stutters and sudden system freezes).

So I now have BT connected to the onboard USB3.0 (with an adapter) and that works great.
Then I added this SilverStone Technology USB 3.1 Gen2 PCIe Card Internal 19Pin Connector ECU04-E-USA card for the front 2 ports (which are USB3.0). Since USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0/2.0, this card is perfect for front 2 ports (although it requires a SATA Power connector). And it has no additional ports so you won't have any conflicts so it's dedicated just for the front 2 ports. Speeds are great and no glitches or stability issues anywhere. However you can't use this card with Bluetooth USB connector, it just won't work (Probably has to do with the fact that it's USB3.1 chipset and we are feeding it USB2.0 protocol through adapters).

71xtRKfcyiL._SL1500_.jpg

Since this is an ASMedia chip, it's pretty much universally supported both in macOS and Windows with no drivers needed whatsoever.

Anywho, this solves the issue for me with SAGE/10G.

Will report if I find anything different.

Last edited:
Hey guys, may have finally solved the issue with SAGE/10G (It may seem minor but for me it's big).

As you know, SAGE/10G has 1 onboard USB3.0 connector and one USB-C 3.1Gen2 connector.

USB-C 3.1Gen2 > USB3.0 adapter did not work at all.

Fresco Logic PCIe USB cards worked, but they were buggy (caused stutters and sudden system freezes).

So I now have BT connected to the onboard USB3.0 (with an adapter) and that works great.
Then I added this SilverStone Technology USB 3.1 Gen2 PCIe Card Internal 19Pin Connector ECU04-E-USA card for the front 2 ports (which are USB3.0). Since USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0/2.0, this card is perfect for front 2 ports (although it requires a SATA Power connector). And it has no additional ports so you won't have any conflicts so it's dedicated just for the front 2 ports. Speeds are great and no glitches or stability issues anywhere. However you can't use this card with Bluetooth USB connector, it just won't work (Probably has to do with the fact that it's USB3.1 chipset and we are feeding it USB2.0 protocol through adapters).

View attachment 421964

Since this is an ASMedia chip, it's pretty much universally supported both in macOS and Windows with no drivers needed whatsoever.

Anywho, this solves the issue for me with SAGE/10G.

Will report if I find anything different.

Awesome! It is definitely one of the annoying quirks about the sage boards but glad you found a card that's showing promise. Might have to chuck out my inatek one but shame there isn't a card with some external ports too since the sage/10g is short on them.

EDIT: Wonder if this would work. 2 Internal + 2 External USB 3, and 1 USB 3.1 Type-C
(USB 3.1 Controller ASMedia ASM1142, USB 3.0 controller VIA Lab VL812)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZ0XVJO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This might work for those who need four front usb 3. Not sure about the controller support (Etron EJ198) for mac though
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOTVFS0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Awesome! It is definitely one of the annoying quirks about the sage boards but glad you found a card that's showing promise. Might have to chuck out my inatek one but shame there isn't a card with some external ports too since the sage/10g is short on them.

EDIT: Wonder if this would work. 2 Internal + 2 External USB 3, and 1 USB 3.1 Type-C
(USB 3.1 Controller ASMedia ASM1142, USB 3.0 controller VIA Lab VL812)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZ0XVJO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This might work for those who need four front usb 3. Not sure about the controller support (Etron EJ198) for mac though
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOTVFS0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Yeah I had looked at the ECU05, but was worried that the internal header is USB3.0 and a VIA Lab VL812 chipset, which I'm not familiar with. The ASMedia controller is for the rear USB-Type C port. I wouldn't mind testing this, but if you're willing to give it a shot go for it. I can definitely confirm the ASMedia ASM1142 is exactly the same chipset that ASUS uses on these boards (which work OOB in macOS and Windows).

The ECU04 is just a simple internal header only which runs on the ASMedia ASM1142 chipset (which is backwards compatible with USB3.0/USB2.).

I just did a bunch of tests and it works wonderfully for the front 2 USB3.0 ports. Copied over 200GB of data to test and it is getting full USB3.0 speeds. I am not sure if USB3.0 front ports will support USB3.1 10Gb/s, but would love to test them if I can get my hands on a USB3.1 Gen 2 (Type A) drive.

The other cool thing is the front USB-C is also intact and works perfect.

The case is Evolv-X.

Super happy now :headbang:

The other card, with Etron EJ198, am not sure, but I did see that one too. It does seem to support macOS natively, though.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 11.23.47 PM.png

Also just put in a GC-Titan Ridge card and going to do some testing when I get my hands on a TB3 device.

Last edited:
On another note, has anyone been able to bypass the 75c Upper Limit for ASUS Q-Fan Control in the BIOS?

I understand you can use FanXpert...but is there a way to bypass this in the BIOS?

Does anyone have a readymade USB Kext for a X299 WS Sage (not 10g) they would be willing to share? Or if anyone knows whether it's likely that the Sage (non 10g) would be the same as the Sage(10g) in the KGP XHC github? I will guess that it's not...

If you were to purchase the non-10G Sage, you might get by with an existing 15 port kext. If you review the non-10G Sage, it is very similar to the Prime Deluxe boards. I have called the Sage boards just "fixed" versions of the Prime Deluxe boards, and I still think that's true. This is more true of the non-10G board than the 10G board (Just my opinion, of course).

But, there's a better solution: Hackintool has a method/tool for creating a customized USB kext.....I used it for my Z370 hack and it has worked well.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have issues with the asus splash screen/clover bootloader not showing up with an amd card? The screen is black until it loads into an OS and then the screen shows up as normal. I feel like it’s 30% that this shows and I always have to spam an arrow key when I’m rebooting to choose my OS. I don’t have this issue with an nvidia card

Last edited:
Well, with Clover. I have seen that happen with my system once in a while. I have several boot options so I like to see that menu before I boot into an OS, but sometimes (particularly after a reset), I see that happen. Not sure why, but it does happen.

Does anyone else have issues with the asus splash screen/clover bootloader not showing up with an amd card? The screen is black until it loads into an OS and then the screen shows up as normal. I feel like it’s 30% that this shows and I always have to spam an arrow key when I’m rebooting to choose my OS. I don’t have this issue with an nvidia card

check to see if your monitor settings are correct. Example if you have freesync enabled you might not see the boot screen or boot loader screen until macos is booted.

check to see if your monitor settings are correct. Example if you have freesync enabled you might not see the boot screen or boot loader screen until macos is booted.

what monitor settings should I be looking for? Free sync is disabled.

what monitor settings should I be looking for? Free sync is disabled.

See if DisplayPort 1.2 is enabled/disabled if you have that option.

Not sure what monitor you use.

Also of course you already know, but double check if CSM is enabled/disabled.

On my end, if I have FreeSync enabled in the monitor (38UC99) I see nothing but black unless an OS loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back