Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Monterey/Ventura Support

Hi, everyone, so got a question to you all.
So upon Big Sir both Thunderbolt 3 Ports on my system works fine when connecting a device to it, when booted into MacOS.
But since Monterey / Ventura this isn’t the case anymore.
Port 1 works, but second port doesn’t connect any TB device.
The only way to get Port 2 working is by having a device connected on Port 1 that is active [TB Drive, TB Dock, …] then Port 2 will connect the device you plug in it.

Are there people having the same issues here?
Second: I’m running stock firmware.

If you run a patched FW please let me know and report :)

Systems I tested with:
Gigabyte X299 Designare 10G
ASRock X299 Creator
@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr
Hi guys, because you two are the TB experts here, was hoping to get some community feedback on this before tagging you, so if you have any experience with this matter ?

@CaseySJ @Elias64Fr
Hi guys, because you two are the TB experts here, was hoping to get some community feedback on this before tagging you, so if you have any experience with this matter ?
Hello @BerndVP

Alas this is a fairly common issue. Thunderbolt on Hackintosh is not perfect, but if we can accommodate these workarounds, then it becomes a matter of adjusting to those imperfections.

I’m still trying to see if the Thunderbolt driver in Monterey/Ventura can be patched to some degree so that it behaves a little more like Big Sur’s version, but Apple made a lot of changes to it…

Sabrent 1TB
Mmm, never used them so can't say, I'm using WD SN850X, but it's trim related.... saw it happening on my Samsung 980 Pro before

Hello @BerndVP

Alas this is a fairly common issue. Thunderbolt on Hackintosh is not perfect, but if we can accommodate these workarounds, then it becomes a matter of adjusting to those imperfections.

I’m still trying to see if the Thunderbolt driver in Monterey/Ventura can be patched to some degree so that it behaves a little more like Big Sur’s version, but Apple made a lot of changes to it…

@CaseySJ

Seems like the
"NHI Driver in Monterey and above is doing some kind of checks" or maybe the "DROM and ThunderboltConfig which were implemented before have been depreciated and needs to be refined more".

What do you think?
As per my check, unless there is something connected (either TB or USB Type-C) on Port #1, Port #2 doesn't work at all.
This doesn't happen with your Thunderbolt SSDT on Big Sur and prior.
A reminder that this only happens on stock firmware.
Maybe the NHI Driver in Monterey and newer needs Bus activation in order to activate Port #2?
Or maybe the new NHI Driver in Monterey and newer is looking for some kind of Method or property in NHI?

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I just successfully jumped to 13.2.1!
I am getting this little guy popping up. My airport card is otherwise working perfectly.
I tried to add an SSDT for ARPT but it's not catching. Any advice?

View attachment 563515
@CaseySJ do you have any ideas of what I might be able to try?

@CaseySJ do you have any ideas of what I might be able to try?
  • Is that a menu bar icon?
  • Are you using an Airport card in an ExpressCard slot?
  • Is the menu bar icon an image of an ExpressCard slot?
If you're using an ExpressCard device that can be ejected, then don't you actually want that menu bar icon to appear (assuming it's in the menu bar)? Won't that allow you to safely eject the Airport card and insert something else into the slot?

If you're using an ExpressCard device that can be ejected, then don't you actually want that menu bar icon to appear (assuming it's in the menu bar)? Won't that allow you to safely eject the Airport card and insert something else into the slot?
I think this is something that happens in Ventura for some reason. I get that as well for Z490 Vision D without your thunderbolt SSDT.

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 4.05.34 PM.png

On my older rig, that shows up for onboard ethernet and anything that I connect to pcie x1 (fv-t919, usb expansion card). Once I click "Power off Card", it disables the device. I tried to get rid of it by injecting properties for these devices but couldn't solve it.

• It is a menu bar icon
  • It's an Airport card but I am not aware of my X299 Deluxe having an ExpressCard slot...
  • It is an image of an ExpressCard slot, I believe. If I eject it, the machine freezes and reboots immediately
It also shows up in System Information/PCI as ExpressCard as well. This never happened prior to Ventura.

• It is a menu bar icon
  • It's an Airport card but I am not aware of my X299 Deluxe having an ExpressCard slot...
  • It is an image of an ExpressCard slot, I believe. If I eject it, the machine freezes and reboots immediately
It also shows up in System Information/PCI as ExpressCard as well. This never happened prior to Ventura.
I'm not getting this on my X299 with Ventura with having an AirPort Card and NVME Expansion Card in. I do get this though on my very old X58 legacy system but also only in Ventura, not in Monterey with same EFI for the same Airport Card as in my X299 system and also for onboard ethernet! Also I get this on my NUC 8 with Ventura with Thunderbolt 3. Maybe adding something like this in SSDT may solve the issue:
"power-save",
One,
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
}

edit:
some guys reported that this will go away by adding SSDT-XOSI.aml

one more edit:
this patch I have in my x299 config and not having this menu bar icon:
1678438317620.png

Right now I can't test it without, have to render a lot of thing on this machine ;)

Back