Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Monterey/Ventura Support

Hey everyone, has anyone tried using a sound card? I just ordered the SoundBlaster AE-7 sound card and should get it by this coming Tuesday. I’d be using this with my existing Logitech Z5500 5.1 speakers. Yes, I STILL have those speakers after 12 years of use. They still crank! But, was looking to use it for true 5.1 surround. As it stands, it works nicely in stereo (the 2 left, 2 right and sub works), but the center channel speaker does not work. When I DO put it in surround mode, only the center channel and sub works. Will adding this card work better? If not, is there a card that DOES work with a 5.1 speaker system with my Hackintosh setup? Let me know what you can, thank you.
If yor surround system has optical in and your mboard has audio optical out you're good to go. I think you cannot use analog outs (the black green orange ones you know) as multi channel out since macos uses them as separate stereo out I thik. I'm almost sure macos doesn't support soundblasters.

Hey 7hina, Just reaching out to see if you know anything about using internal sound cards and if you have any experience with it? I'll be getting mine tomorrow to try out. Let me know what you can. Thanks! :cool:

Last edited:
macOS Ventura Public beta is out. No additional configuration besides OC 0.8.3 pre release should be needed. I will not be creating a new thread for it but good luck everyone!

@tucoboy I haven't used any internal sound cards since I just use a USB DAC.

Last edited:
If yor surround system has optical in and your mboard has audio optical out you're good to go. I think you cannot use analog outs (the black green orange ones you know) as multi channel out since macos uses them as separate stereo out I thik. I'm almost sure macos doesn't support soundblasters.
Thank you for letting me know. At least I'll try it to see if it works or not. If not, then I'll return it back to Amazon.

Hey everyone, has anyone tried using a sound card? I just ordered the SoundBlaster AE-7 sound card and should get it by this coming Tuesday. I’d be using this with my existing Logitech Z5500 5.1 speakers. Yes, I STILL have those speakers after 12 years of use. They still crank! But, was looking to use it for true 5.1 surround. As it stands, it works nicely in stereo (the 2 left, 2 right and sub works), but the center channel speaker does not work. When I DO put it in surround mode, only the center channel and sub works. Will adding this card work better? If not, is there a card that DOES work with a 5.1 speaker system with my Hackintosh setup? Let me know what you can, thank you.

The mac outputs if they allow 5.1. In create one audio devices, you can name it whatever you want, in this case "5.1"

Captura de Pantalla 2022-07-11 a la(s) 6.55.29 p.m..png

Select the three stereo outputs that together give 5.1

Captura de Pantalla 2022-07-11 a la(s) 7.00.44 p.m..png

In configure speakers 5.1 is selected

Captura de Pantalla 2022-07-11 a la(s) 7.00.15 p.m..png

Even on a High Sierra machine I use an Audigy card from over 19 years ago, it sounds perfect. Up to 7.1
Captura de Pantalla 2022-07-11 a la(s) 7.07.07 p.m..png
Captura de Pantalla 2022-07-11 a la(s) 7.07.34 p.m..png
Captura de Pantalla 2022-07-11 a la(s) 7.17.28 p.m..png

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2022-07-11 a la(s) 6.57.33 p.m..png
    Captura de Pantalla 2022-07-11 a la(s) 6.57.33 p.m..png
    268.6 KB · Views: 22
The mac outputs if they allow 5.1. In create one audio devices, you can name it whatever you want, in this case "5.1"

View attachment 550983

Select the three stereo outputs that together give 5.1

View attachment 550985

In configure speakers 5.1 is selected

View attachment 550986

Even on a High Sierra machine I use an Audigy card from over 19 years ago, it sounds perfect. Up to 7.1View attachment 550987View attachment 550988View attachment 550989
Thank you Lorengrin! Greatly appreciate what you just shared. I will this new sound card and if it works, great. If not would you then suggest the SB Audigy 2 ZS or maybe a slightly advanced one? Because currently, they have the SB Audigy Fx, SB Audigy Fx V2, SB Audigy Rx, SB Z SE, SB AE-5 Plus, SB AE-7 (what I'm getting), and the SB AE-9. The good thing is that I can order any of these sound cards on Amazon, and if none them work, except one, then I can return the others for a refund. No loss there. Again, I hope that the AE-7 can provide what you have in the sound settings. I look forward to your reply soon. Again, THANK YOU for supplying this info! :cool:

Last edited:
macOS Ventura Public beta is out. No additional configuration besides OC 0.8.3 pre release should be needed. I will not be creating a new thread for it but good luck everyone!

@tucoboy I haven't used any internal sound cards since I just use a USB DAC.
Hi 7hina, I'm going to try using the new beta on one of my backup drives to see if it Ventura will work. I know you won't be creating a new thread, but is there a way that I could possibly post my current EFI file to see (if it doesn't work), what can be possibly done to update this to OC 0.8.2 or 0.8.3? Let me know what is possible. Again, thanks for your dedication, even though you've moved on to a better setup. :)

Thank you Lorengrin! Greatly appreciate what you just shared. I will this new sound card and if it works, great. If not would you then suggest the SB Audigy 2 ZS or maybe a slightly advanced one? Let me know your thoughts. Again, THANK YOU for supplying this info! :cool:
SB Audigy 2 ZS is PCI, it doesn't work on an x299, I have this on an X79 board, the Sound Blaster X-Fi USB works perfect in Monterey and is THX certified. For now I use a Scalett 18i20.

Back