Contribute
Register

ASUS X299 Monterey/Ventura Support

Hey guys,

Trying to get my machine to install Monterey. Had a previous build working well with High Sierra for years thanks to kgp's guide.

Have tried attempted a few different EFI setups and not yet managed to get the Monterey install to work.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good EFI starting point according to my hardware?

Appreciated guys.

BASE-EFI Github link here

agdpmod=pikera is already in the base-efi unless you already removed it.

I didn’t touch anything related to GPU or any boot arguments. Only adjusted things like my serial number and the Thunderbolt stuff we did above.

So it should just plug and play then? I used that latest Base EFI you put up a few days ago.

I didn’t touch anything related to GPU or any boot arguments. Only adjusted things like my serial number and the Thunderbolt stuff we did above.

So it should just plug and play then? I used that latest Base EFI you put up a few days ago.

Yup should be plug and play. Although like etorix mentioned if you have the 6900XTXH you'll need to do some spoofing.

Yup should be plug and play. Although like etorix mentioned if you have the 6900XTXH you'll need to do some spoofing.
I think the highest conceivable GPU in this case would be an 6900XT. If I ever wanted to go beyond that, I would just go M1 Max for obvious reasons.

BASE-EFI Github link here
Appreciated @djlild7hina

On my High Sierra build i used SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 Is the MacPro7,1 fine for me with Monterey? I'm a little confused whether i need to change to MacPro7,1 or not?

Lastly, just want to clarify regarding these points you've made:
"SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext - Disabled but required for Intel 10G Ethernet." and "SmallTreeIntel82576.kext - Disabled but required for Intel I211 NICs"
I know this may be a dumb question but does this mean I need to enable them for my Intel I211 NIC hardware or simply that you've added them and they are to remain disabled?

Appreciate the help...

Appreciated @djlild7hina

On my High Sierra build i used SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 Is the MacPro7,1 fine for me with Monterey? I'm a little confused whether i need to change to MacPro7,1 or not?

Lastly, just want to clarify regarding these points you've made:
"SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext - Disabled but required for Intel 10G Ethernet." and "SmallTreeIntel82576.kext - Disabled but required for Intel I211 NICs"
I know this may be a dumb question but does this mean I need to enable them for my Intel I211 NIC hardware or simply that you've added them and they are to remain disabled?

Appreciate the help...

You can use either MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1 on Monterey so it's up to you. Personally I've been using MacPro7,1 since the Mac Pro 2019 was released and it's pretty much the same.

I've added the two kexts to the config.plist and EFI folder so it's easier for people that need them but by default they are disabled.
The SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext is used for the Intel X550-AT2 on the WS X299 Sage/10G board so that can be left as disabled (or removed from config.plist and EFI folder)

Since you have the 211 NIC, you'll want to enable the SmallTreeIntel82576.kext although I haven't tested this in Monterey.

You can use either MacPro7,1 or iMacPro1,1 on Monterey so it's up to you. Personally I've been using MacPro7,1 since the Mac Pro 2019 was released and it's pretty much the same.

I've added the two kexts to the config.plist and EFI folder so it's easier for people that need them but by default they are disabled.
The SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext is used for the Intel X550-AT2 on the WS X299 Sage/10G board so that can be left as disabled (or removed from config.plist and EFI folder)

Since you have the 211 NIC, you'll want to enable the SmallTreeIntel82576.kext although I haven't tested this in Monterey.
Awesome, looks like your Base EFI worked a treat. Only problem is it's loaded to an apple screen to enable bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Is there any way to bypass this?

Got a wired keyboard/mouse ?
Yeah i do, it doesnt look like the USB ports are allowing them to work.. maybe a USB mapping issue? Any ideas?

Yeah i do, it doesnt look like the USB ports are allowing them to work.. maybe a USB mapping issue? Any ideas?
Try the USB 2.0 ports on the back panel if you have them. I'd think you've already got a USBPorts.kext in your kexts folder. If so it may need some adjustments to work fully with Monterey.

Last edited:
Back