Contribute
Register

Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 - Guide: Extract & Edit your own DSDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Done.
Before I extracted my DSDT, when I booted back into my OS I used the boot flag "DSDT=No" so that it would extract my correct/current BIOS and not something else I had been using, maybe.
Good, but when you get to the chameleon screen, type something. You will see whatever you've typed, if you see DSDT=No before it, the flag is automatically being used every time you boot so your DSDT might not be loading. I just noticed this NEW default behavior in Chameleon and it may be effecting chimera as well because it's just a rebranded branch of chameleon. Now hit the backspace key to erase all flags that were present and hit enter to boot. If chimera is holding on to all your typed flaggs, when you erase them, it will hold on to that state of no flags entered for every following boot. Do take note of all the flags that are there if any, if you can't boot after clearing flaggs, add them to the kernel flags section of org.chameleon.boot.plist.

The DSDT I attached has an "ID" edit to it. Only one line. I am/was researching possible DSDT edits to the "ID" of the audio for 898. I don't think it was working. But I have to be honest, it's REALLY confusing to me (a total novice) and every guide seemed to have a link to another post you're supposed to look at for your specific problem/hardware/software and for someone like me it's d**n near impossible to figure out which instructions to follow. This is why I'm no good at research.
With the proper kext, pin config is all that's needed.

I used the kext you gave out in section 1. I've just deleted the audio enabler kext and I'm about to try reinstalling HDA with kextbeast again and reboot. Up until just now, I had no idea that you weren't supposed to have the enabler kext in there. I have no idea when it was installed....multibeast, I guess....?
Yes the enabler kext will mess things up. That's what the DSDT edit is for.

All the kexts involving audio I could find in S/L/E. Let me know if there's something else here or elsewhere I should be looking for...
AppleAVBAudio.kext
AppleFWAudio.kext
AppleHDA.kext - deleted and reinstalled with kextbeast.
AudioAUUC.kext
HDAEnabler1.kext - deleted.
OK good. That's why I recommended a clean (reformat) re-install so you wouldn't have crap like that lingering but you must have selected one of the audio options in your last install. Don't use anything in the audio section from multibeast! If you ever decide to reinstall, copy your extra folder to a USB stick and use only the minimum amount of options from multibeast.

1 quick question. Why are the SleepEnabler and VoodooTSCSync kexts grayed out in Extensions? Just curious.
Because I label them grey in the finder so you can see what you've added in SLE.

UPDATE: I deleted the HDAEnabler kext and reinstalled the interim 898 kext and rebooted. When I got back up, all of my audio output options were gone. Only Airplay was available. Sooooo......i'm out of ideas for the moment. And I'm too frustrated to continue. I'm going to take a break and be back later.
I hate to say it but since you had the HDA enabler in /S/L/E, I'd say you don't really know what you've done in your install. Since your new at this I think starting fresh again is your best bet. I sugest:

1) Erase and partition your boot drive following the instructions for unibeast. Install your OS using unibeast. when you get to the chimera screen type: -v cpus=1 npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No then hit enter. When you finish your install and the machine tries to re-boot, your machine will use the bootloaded from the unibeast install stick so leave it plugged in. You may need to pick it from the BIOS boot override list to boot. Again, when you get to the chimera screen type: -v cpus=1 npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No then hit enter.

2) Install using Multibeast and ONLY the options in the attached image. DO NOT check any other options ESPECIALLY ANYTHING IN THE AUDIO SECTION. When multibeast finishes, DO NOT RE_BOOT. Feel free to delete the following un-needed multibeast kexts from /System/Library/Extensions:

ElliottForceLegacyRTC, EvOreboot.kext, JMicron36xATA.kext, AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext

Or, leave them there. They shouldn't mess anything up.

3) KextBeast in the ShiKexts.

4) Go to /Extra and open org.chameleon.boot.plist in text edit and Make sure that npci=0x3000 is in the "string" section of "Kernel Flags" like this:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>

5) Eject your UniBeast USB and Re-boot. If nothing happens check your BIOS boot priorities. When you get to the chimera screen, hit delete until all previous boot flags are cleared out, if any are present. Then type -f and hit enter. Whenever you working on the system always boot -f when you finish (ignore caches).

6) Use Disk Utillity to repair permissions on your boot drive. Follow the DSDT guide.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-09-01 at 8.08.52 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-09-01 at 8.08.52 PM.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 180
The DSDT I attached has an "ID" edit to it. Only one line. I am/was researching possible DSDT edits to the "ID" of the audio for 898.
I don't see any Device ID added to the HDEF edit?? Nor do I see 1d20 added anywhere. I DO SEE that the pin layout is wrong in the HDEF edit (0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00). It should be 0x82, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00. I suspect that you installed the "F my DSDT in the A without lube" option from multibeast. Quote from the explanation at the bottom of the installer that you should always read "Replaces the current AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions with a patched 10.8.4 AppleHDA.kext to enable full functionality for the Realtek ALC898 high-definition audio codec. Edits by toleda. Patches /Extra/DSDT.aml to replace layout-id 382 with layout-id 1." Aparently you installed both the "Realtek 8xx" "with DSDT" (F***ed your DSDT) and "without DSDT" (added an enabler kext that may prevent your audio from working) options from multibeast. Both of these will ensure that the R4E audio will NOT work. The "with DSDT" option will ensure that your DSDT will never again work with the PROPER (NOT FROM MULTIBEAST) kext. You could probably just re-do the HDEF edit in your current DSDT but I'm not sure exactly what else MultiBeast might have changed. I would still re-do your install after ERASING and reformatting your boot drive since you've been shotgun installing all the kexts from MultiBeast. I always like to know exactly what I've done and why, and I never like to add anything that doesn't serve a purpose.

You, sir, have made me feel about as small, stupid, and worthless as a person can feel. I hope you are proud of yourself. I spent a lot of time today trying to decide whether or not to just throw the whole F***ING computer in a dumpster because of your choice of words to which I take serious issue. Unfortunately for me, my unhappiness with my current employer and my desire to keep a roof over my wife's head forces me to push on despite my intensely hurt feelings.

Once again I went all the way back to the USB drive and followed all of your directions front to back to the letter and ONCE AGAIN here I am, as I was 2 days ago with no audio. At least this time my computer is registering my audio devices and files are trying to play (at the end of the day yesterday there was no recognized audio output - except for airplay - and audio files wouldn't even try to play), but there is no audio coming from any port on my system. This is the trouble I was having 2 days ago after following your advice and not getting anywhere. Your increased impatience with me and my troubles with research, coupled with my consideration for your time spent so far, caused me to face my biggest hurdle and research anything I could on what sounded like good next-step advice. Obviously, I don't know all that I should and followed troubleshooting advice that didn't apply in my particular case. I did all that work and then sent you the files from my system. When you were first instructing me what to select on multibeast, I DID NOT select any kind of audio, but after repeated attempts following your advice and not getting any progress I "shotgunned" a solution that obviously didn't work. At the same time, I "F'd my DSDT in the A without lube" ALL after getting your advice and not getting progress for several days and in desperation following someone else's advice and THEN sending you the files when you asked for them.

I don't know how I should continue. I don't know if there's anything you can tell me that can help. I DO know that I am highly offended by your tone in your previous replies when you didn't even have all the information I just mentioned. I am going to leave this for a few days to calm down. If I come back in a few days and still feel THIS UPSET, I will make some kind of complaint to the people in charge here. People don't deserve to be treated that way, Shiloh. Especially, if they admitted early on that they didn't know anything about it and were basically PLEADING for your help. I was nothing but respectful to you.

You, sir, have made me feel about as small, stupid, and worthless as a person can feel. I hope you are proud of yourself. I spent a lot of time today trying to decide whether or not to just throw the whole F***ING computer in a dumpster because of your choice of words to which I take serious issue. Unfortunately for me, my unhappiness with my current employer and my desire to keep a roof over my wife's head forces me to push on despite my intensely hurt feelings.
First let me apologize for offending you. It was not my intention. My passionate words were aimed more towards the fact that these multibeast hacks do not work for us and many other Asus users. I have repeated myself about the multibeast audio many, many, many times but maybe my last passionate post was the first you've heard of it, so again, I'm sorry. This site and it's tools are meant to work with Gigabyte hardware. You chose a non-recommended motherboard and probably for the same reasons I did. I do want to emphasize that you should try to understand what everything does before you do it. I do not take pleasure in making others feel bad. I donate my time for free as do many other generous users in this community.
Once again I went all the way back to the USB drive and followed all of your directions front to back to the letter and ONCE AGAIN here I am, as I was 2 days ago with no audio. At least this time my computer is registering my audio devices and files are trying to play (at the end of the day yesterday there was no recognized audio output - except for airplay - and audio files wouldn't even try to play), but there is no audio coming from any port on my system. This is the trouble I was having 2 days ago after following your advice and not getting anywhere. Your increased impatience with me and my troubles with research, coupled with my consideration for your time spent so far, caused me to face my biggest hurdle and research anything I could on what sounded like good next-step advice. Obviously, I don't know all that I should and followed troubleshooting advice that didn't apply in my particular case. I did all that work and then sent you the files from my system. When you were first instructing me what to select on multibeast, I DID NOT select any kind of audio, but after repeated attempts following your advice and not getting any progress I "shotgunned" a solution that obviously didn't work. At the same time, I "F'd my DSDT in the A without lube" ALL after getting your advice and not getting progress for several days and in desperation following someone else's advice and THEN sending you the files when you asked for them.
It is not mine or anyone else's responsibility to get you up and running. I'm just trying to help.
I don't know how I should continue. I don't know if there's anything you can tell me that can help. I DO know that I am highly offended by your tone in your previous replies when you didn't even have all the information I just mentioned. I am going to leave this for a few days to calm down. If I come back in a few days and still feel THIS UPSET, I will make some kind of complaint to the people in charge here. People don't deserve to be treated that way, Shiloh. Especially, if they admitted early on that they didn't know anything about it and were basically PLEADING for your help. I was nothing but respectful to you.
Good luck in your adventure. I have no more time to dedicate to it. And by the way, you're welcome for all the time and help I've already given you.

+1 shilohh. :thumbup: Well, said.

shilohh,

I've followed your guide and have about 50% success. HDEF and SBRG reg entries don't match.

After long days and short nights this week, a second set of eyes would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

aznewt

Attachments

• hdef.tiff
    222.1 KB · Views: 154
  • sbrg.tiff
    180.1 KB · Views: 131
  • baselinedsdt.dsl.zip
    27 KB · Views: 76
shilohh,
I've followed your guide and have about 50% success. HDEF and SBRG reg entries don't match.
After long days and short nights this week, a second set of eyes would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
aznewt
Neither device shows to be loaded according to the photos. Your edits appear to be correct. First verify that your DSDT is in the right place. Then Try rebooting using the flag -f (ignore caches). Also, make sure chimera isn't holding on to previously typed flags especially DSDT=No (ignore DSDT). When you get to the chameleon (chimera) boot screen, type -f and take note if there are any other flags already present once you start to type. If DSDT=No or any others are present, hit delete until they have been erased and retype -f then hit enter to boot and check again. I just noticed this NEW default behavior in Chameleon and it may be effecting chimera as well because it's a branch of chameleon. If chimera is holding on to all your typed flaggs, when you erase them, it will hold on to that state of no flags entered for every following boot. So take note of all the flags that are there if any, if you can't boot after clearing flaggs, add them to the kernel flags section of org.chameleon.boot.plist.

If that doesn't work, try the attached DSDTs in order and let me know if any of them give you audio.

Attachments

• 03_HDMI_DSDT.aml.zip
    13.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 02_NewHDEF2_DSDT.aml.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 01_NewHDEF1_DSDT.aml.zip
    13.7 KB · Views: 106
shilohh,

Thanks for reviewing/confirming my edits!

To be sure that I'm not wasting time, tonight I am going to scratch my install to be sure that everything is clean. I'll use the dsdt that I created first and see how it goes.

Sooooo close. First time experience with ssd. Instantaneous boot times ROCK.

P.E. was able to improve geekscore from 17k to 21k by over clocking to 3.9ghz. I would like to get to 4.ish. Will oc bios changes impact the dsdt? I think I saw something somewhere that said it will not.

Thanks for reviewing/confirming my edits!
P.E. was able to improve geekscore from 17k to 21k by over clocking to 3.9ghz. I would like to get to 4.ish. Will oc bios changes impact the dsdt? I think I saw something somewhere that said it will not.
You're welcome. I only looked over the 2 edits that you pointed out weren't working. I suspect that the dsdt wasn't picked up at boot. Can you please confirm if chimera is holding onto the flags? Also when you open ioreg for verification you can save the file and post it. That's better than screen shots. I can open it and see everything. OC should not effect anything.

shilohh,

turned out that I was away for the weekend. fresh install, same results.

bummed about the word that there are general mobo problems. will pick up another SSD this week and try a windows install.

In the mean time, would be interested in your assessment of my reg data.

thanks in advance,

aznewt

Attachments

• aznewt.ioreg
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
  • DSDT copy.aml.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back