Contribute
Register

Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 - Guide: Extract & Edit your own DSDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I was wondering if you had a new link to DSDTSE V2 Beta? The current link seems to be broken. I was able to find another copy on another site, but everytime I click Extract DSDT the program freezes.

I am also using the new 4310 bios, but I could flash back to an older one if you recommend that. Everything else is running perfectly though! Just had to switch to npci=0x3000 instead of 0x2000.

Thanks!

I was wondering if you had a new link to DSDTSE V2 Beta? The current link seems to be broken. I was able to find another copy on another site, but everytime I click Extract DSDT the program freezes.

I am also using the new 4310 bios, but I could flash back to an older one if you recommend that. Everything else is running perfectly though! Just had to switch to npci=0x3000 instead of 0x2000.
Just added the DSDTSE I used to the downloads at the bottom of the first section. Any BIOS should work so update to the one you want to use before extracting. Make sure you set everything in your BIOS correctly (if you need help, follow the settings in MK500's golden build). 0x2000 is for lion and 0x3000 is for ML but they should perform similar functions. Just use the one that works and share your experience.

I would do some benchmarks and make sure that both cards are fully accelerated and that OpenCL and Quarts Extreme are running. Apps I use: CudaZ, Heaven (Open GL), LuxMark (OpenCL), and Cinebench even though it's not accurate on NVidia.

I will get to that once I get audio working. Still fighting that battle. I even RE-did my DSDT edit and still nothing. I think the kexts were installed, but not talking to my computer correctly for some reason. I had a song on loop so I could check my various outports and I got a reaction when I plugged into the "CTR BASS" output...just crackling audio, but it was definitely coming from my system. Whenever I hit mute on the computer the crackling would stop until I unmuted.

Additionally, I don't know what steps I'm messing up on the DSDT. Because my "Registry Info" looks nothing like what your example shows. Perhaps you have some advice? I have uploaded my DSDT for you to look atView attachment DSDT.aml.zip . It's actually the one I created back in early August, but from what I can tell, I did it exactly the same way... If you have a chance I would appreciate some feedback on that.

You have to set your BIOS xmp mode correctly: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10842
If both cards are working and fully accelerated, there is no need for EFI String.

Okay, here's where it got tricky. I followed the link you provided and followed those instructions to the letter..but my computer wouldn't boot after that. I ended up having to reinstall OSX. THE FUNNY THING...now both of my monitors are working from the get-to...but now, I can't even get back my 4.0 OC. I'm stuck at 3.2 for the moment. I'll try to go back in and remember what I did, but the instructions above led me down an awfully dark path.:banghead::banghead:

So, as I understand it, there's no way that audio will work without a DSDT. SO I guess my mission for tonight just to feel like I'm doing something productive, is to once again go through the DSDT steps...hopefully I'll find whatever I've been missing...

If you have time to look and if you see anything in the DSDT that I provided, please let me know. Thanks!

I will get to that once I get audio working. Still fighting that battle. I even RE-did my DSDT edit and still nothing. I think the kexts were installed, but not talking to my computer correctly for some reason. I had a song on loop so I could check my various outports and I got a reaction when I plugged into the "CTR BASS" output...just crackling audio, but it was definitely coming from my system. Whenever I hit mute on the computer the crackling would stop until I unmuted.
With the Kext and DSDT you should have 3 working analog outs to choose from in sys prefs. Set the the correct out in sys prefs audio out section. If audio is distorted try going into audio midi setup and changing the format between 44100 and 48000. Also try 16bit vs 24bit. When using video apps, they usually switch it to 48k automatically but then if you play a 44.1k song in some audio apps they distort because they don't switch it back and don't upsample. If that doesn't work, see if audio functions normally in winblows. If it doesn't, Id suspect faulty hardware. What BIOS are you on?

Hey Shilohh,

I was going back through these old posts since I had to reinstall OSX. I thought I'd update you on this one below.

I would do some benchmarks and make sure that both cards are fully accelerated and that OpenCL and Quarts Extreme are running. Apps I use: CudaZ, Heaven (Open GL), LuxMark (OpenCL), and Cinebench even though it's not accurate on NVidia.

I went with your first suggestion, Cuda-Z. I'm attaching the info on my 2 cards. I had some trouble finding the Nvidia drivers at first then I found this link ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/257-nvidia-releases-mountain-lion-10-8-2-graphics-drivers.html )which I was able to download and which got me to the latest Nvidia driver for my GPUs. Then I was able to run Cuda-Z. I just got finished with the LuxMark benches. Here are those results.

1643 Open CL - Both GPUs on a medium Bench (Sala) with 488K triangles
1183 CPU - Running the CPU & both GPUs on a complex benchmark test with 2016K triangles

I have no idea if those are good or not. I guess because one test is for OpenGL and the other test is for OpenCL that the results prove i have both working at least.

Attachments

• GTX680 1st Drive.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 162
  • GTX680 2nd Drive.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 134
Hey Shilohh,
I was going back through these old posts since I had to reinstall OSX. I thought I'd update you on this one below.
I went with your first suggestion, Cuda-Z. I'm attaching the info on my 2 cards. I had some trouble finding the Nvidia drivers at first then I found this link ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/257-nvidia-releases-mountain-lion-10-8-2-graphics-drivers.html )which I was able to download and which got me to the latest Nvidia driver for my GPUs. Then I was able to run Cuda-Z. I just got finished with the LuxMark benches. Here are those results.

1643 Open CL - Both GPUs on a medium Bench (Sala) with 488K triangles
1183 CPU - Running the CPU & both GPUs on a complex benchmark test with 2016K triangles

I have no idea if those are good or not. I guess because one test is for OpenGL and the other test is for OpenCL that the results prove i have both working at least.
CudaZ is just to show that cuda is running and what speed your cards are running. Luxmark is to bench OpenCL. If opencl isn't running luxmark will report no opencl devices present when you start it. I recommend running it on gpu only and comparing your results to other users and also windows results. Heaven is for open GL. All the benching apps will at least tell you what's working but you should compare your results to other users to see how well they're working. Get your drivers from nvidias website. I use the quadro web driver for my firmi cards but I think you use the same one for your kelpers but read up on it. However I think the stock drivers in 10.8.4 run pretty good but I haven't done much comparison testing. You definitely want to install cuda for resolve and adobe.

Heaven is for open GL.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll get to that maybe tomorrow. In the meantime, I've redone my DSDT with your guide. I had some good progress until I got down to HDEF. Take a quick look and let me know what you think. I don't have nearly the stuff under HDEF as you do and I still don't have audio running. I guess I missed something on the DSDT guide? I REEEEAAALLLY hope it's not that the audio card on the motherboard has fried somehow... everything else is working perfectly.

One quick update. In my System Prefences - Sound - Output tab - I noticed that where I used to be able to see "Digital Out" "Line Out" etc. there's nothing there now. Just my AirPlay wifi stuff for my living room tv.

Attachments

• Ioregistry.ioreg
    2.2 MB · Views: 144
Okay. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll get to that maybe tomorrow. In the meantime, I've redone my DSDT with your guide. I had some good progress until I got down to HDEF. Take a quick look and let me know what you think. I don't have nearly the stuff under HDEF as you do and I still don't have audio running. I guess I missed something on the DSDT guide? I REEEEAAALLLY hope it's not that the audio card on the motherboard has fried somehow... everything else is working perfectly.

One quick update. In my System Prefences - Sound - Output tab - I noticed that where I used to be able to see "Digital Out" "Line Out" etc. there's nothing there now. Just my AirPlay wifi stuff for my living room tv.
Very strange. Please post your current DSDT. Also if you have typed DSDT=No to boot without your DSDT, you may need to check and see that it's not booting with that flag every time. I've noticed that in the newest version of chameleon that I'm using, that if I enter boot flags, the next time I boot the flags are still entered and effecting the boot up. I have to actually start to type at the prompt to see that old flaggs are still present and if I want to boot without them I have to delete them. Also, what audio kext are you using? If your not already, kext beast in the audio kext I posted at the bottom of section 1 and make sure you don't have any audio enabler kexts in S/L/E.

Please post your current DSDT.

Done.

if you have typed DSDT=No to boot without your DSDT, you may need to check and see that it's not booting with that flag every time.

Before I extracted my DSDT, when I booted back into my OS I used the boot flag "DSDT=No" so that it would extract my correct/current BIOS and not something else I had been using, maybe.

The DSDT I attached has an "ID" edit to it. Only one line. I am/was researching possible DSDT edits to the "ID" of the audio for 898. I don't think it was working. But I have to be honest, it's REALLY confusing to me (a total novice) and every guide seemed to have a link to another post you're supposed to look at for your specific problem/hardware/software and for someone like me it's d**n near impossible to figure out which instructions to follow. This is why I'm no good at research.

Also, what audio kext are you using? If your not already, kext beast in the audio kext I posted at the bottom of section 1 and make sure you don't have any audio enabler kexts in S/L/E.

I used the kext you gave out in section 1. I've just deleted the audio enabler kext and I'm about to try reinstalling HDA with kextbeast again and reboot. Up until just now, I had no idea that you weren't supposed to have the enabler kext in there. I have no idea when it was installed....multibeast, I guess....?

All the kexts involving audio I could find in S/L/E. Let me know if there's something else here or elsewhere I should be looking for...
AppleAVBAudio.kext
AppleFWAudio.kext
AppleHDA.kext - deleted and reinstalled with kextbeast.
AudioAUUC.kext
HDAEnabler1.kext - deleted.

1 quick question. Why are the SleepEnabler and VoodooTSCSync kexts grayed out in Extensions? Just curious.

UPDATE: I deleted the HDAEnabler kext and reinstalled the interim 898 kext and rebooted. When I got back up, all of my audio output options were gone. Only Airplay was available. Sooooo......i'm out of ideas for the moment. And I'm too frustrated to continue. I'm going to take a break and be back later.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back