Contribute
Register

ASUS N56VM Install ML 10.8.X Q/A (help appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i didn't keep track of everything i deleted.
but CleanMyMac2 is a useful tool for those not 100% on deleting things
it does a self clean, but there's lots of features for fully uninstalling programs, and totally deleting files
it also has an option for deleting extra languages
i was compiling a bunch of files in a folder and when i was ready i used that to delete the files

also be careful and maybe read up on the each kext before trying this but i went threw my kexts and deleted
about 30 of them which helped alot with boot time

IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF YOU DELETE THE WRONG FILES!! DO A FULL BACKUP OF YOUR DRIVE THEN TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK LOL

had to..

can someone post there FaceTime and PhotoBooth launcher apps for me..
trying to work on a fix for them to work without but now the launchers i have don't work haha
and i don't feel like making a partition and installing ASUS_N just for those files.

Thanks

so has anyone got the bios unlocked on this thing yet..?

i tried before with my n56vm and bricked it, and after talking to asus they sent me a n56vz back :)

but i worried bout trying it again because if i call asus back and say another just won't turn on i don't think they'll believe me haha

so i used kernel boot selector and found it was booting in 32 bit mode
when i used that to change it to 64 it worked but.. its showing we're using
a 32 bit kernel.
does anyone no how to get a 64 bit mach kernel?

k so i donno if anyone else noticed that the sound settings changed everytime you logged back on.

so i've changed the .plist for the voodooHDA.kext in /system/library/extensions

now on restart the volume stays set also i tweaked the sound setting (treble,bass,boost,and increased volume level)

to me sounds great compared to what it was

so to install go to your voodooHDA.kext in /system/library/extensions right click and show contents

then contents and replace your .plist with mine.

make a backup of yours incase you don't like the sound and setting or tweak them yourself using plistedit pro

run kext utility and reboot

done.

Attachments

• Info.plist
    3.4 KB · Views: 267
so has anyone got the bios unlocked on this thing yet..?

i tried before with my n56vm and bricked it, and after talking to asus they sent me a n56vz back :)

but i worried bout trying it again because if i call asus back and say another just won't turn on i don't think they'll believe me haha

I have done the bios unlock to switch graphics card. I posted it sometime back on ukranian forum for N56VZ. IT IS NOT TESTED.
I have N56VM and I have tested my bios mod and it works.

I will post it here today later. If we can make Nvidia work when its set in bios that will be awesome.

I have done the bios unlock to switch graphics card. I posted it sometime back on ukranian forum for N56VZ. IT IS NOT TESTED.
I have N56VM and I have tested my bios mod and it works.

I will post it here today later. If we can make Nvidia work when its set in bios that will be awesome.

be cautious to ANYONE trying this. i flash my bios on my n56vz and it flash but nothing changed.
so i altered my bios again changing all setting to USER from default and bricked it.
still looking to see bout fixing it.

BE CAUTIOUS! this is my second one bricked and i was lucky the first time to get a free upgrade from ASUS.
not gonna happen a second for me.

Hi

I'm going to try the ukranian method to installing OSX on the N56VZ.

Has anyone been able to use the Nvidia graphics? Is the laptop stable enough for day-to-day use?

thanks

Hey Guys,

So I will say that it was fairly painless to get things working with the ASUS-N image. I did have a problem where after I let my computer go to sleep the first time it would not come back. I killed the power and restarted and kept getting hung up at the "system uptime in nanoseconds" line. I was able to boot into the system with a -x option at the command line (safe mode). I seem to have resolved the problem by updating chameleon.

So I suppose the only thing we are missing with this machine is the Nvidia graphics. I haven't tried to install the touchpad kext yet or expand the size of the volume yet. I think I may clone the disk first in case things go south.

Thanks

I think I may clone the disk first in case things go south.

It's a good thing I did. Boy that was painful. I had a bootloader issue and I had to use another bootloader to get it to OSX, then reinstall Chameleon.

Anyway, my computer doesn't seem to sleep properly. I thought this was supposed to work with the ASUS_N image. Did anyone else have problems with sleep?

V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back