Contribute
Register

Apple's Policy on Apple File System (APFS) for High Sierra

Seems to work ok, mounts the drives in read-only mode. They are planning full read-write support I believe.

From the Bombich Blog (developers of Carbon Copy Cloner):
This week we reported to Apple a serious flaw in macOS that can lead to data loss when using an APFS-formatted disk image. Until Apple issues a macOS update that resolves this problem, we're dropping support for APFS-formatted disk images.
Note: What I describe below applies to APFS sparse disk images only — ordinary APFS volumes (e.g. your SSD startup disk) are not affected by this problem. While the underlying problem here is very serious, this is not likely to be a widespread problem, and will be most applicable to a small subset of backups. Disk images are not used for most backup task activity, they are generally only applicable when making backups to network volumes. If you make backups to network volumes, read on to learn more...
I encourage you read the remaining two paragraphs for more information (see link below). However, be fore warned that APFS disk images are not to be trusted.

Reference:
https://bombich.com/blog/2018/02/15/macos-may-lose-data-on-apfs-formatted-disk-images

From the Bombich Blog (developers of Carbon Copy Cloner):
I encourage you read the remaining two paragraphs for more information (see link below). However, be fore warned that APFS disk images are not to be trusted.

Reference:
https://bombich.com/blog/2018/02/15/macos-may-lose-data-on-apfs-formatted-disk-images
Sounds like this bug only presents if you create an APFS sparse image and then fill it with more data than would fit on the containing disk. Not exactly a common use case scenario, no wonder it took a while to be discovered.

Can anyone confirm the state of apfs at the moment, in respect of it being stable for use in a production sytstem ?

Here. No problems so far!

Can anyone confirm the state of apfs at the moment, in respect of it being stable for use in a production sytstem ?

I have been using it for about 3 months, my system freezes every so often but I am not sure that APFS is the issue.

I have been using APFS since High Sierra was released. No problems so far.

Back