Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
NVMe drives are working well in PCs/Hackintoshes. Your choice.

Motherboard
Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
Graphics
GTX1080 (Asus ROG Strix)
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
PowerBook, Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm planning to add a second NVMe drive (960 EVO) for the macOS part in (my upcoming dual boot) build. Based on the Buyer's Guide it should be working fine with High Sierra. Or is a SATA drive (M.2) a safer choice when using the APFS file system?
You don't -have- to run APFS with NMVe, HFS+J is working just fine too :)

Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 580, Dell H57 motherboard
CPU
i5 750
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5450
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
I was running High Sierra on APFS for a couple of days with 512gb Samsung EVO850. The whole OS worked great! Before that, I was testing Sierra with +HFS and it was significantly slower.

<>snip<>

Eventually, I had to kiss goodbye to APFS and reinstall High Sierra with +HFS :( I'm using it for the last 36 hours and honestly, it works absolutely the same as with APFS... Or at least that's what I've concluded so far.
Am I reading this right?
Sierra + APFS = faster
High Sierra + APFS = same like HFS?

Motherboard
Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
Graphics
GTX1080 (Asus ROG Strix)
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
PowerBook, Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
I’m not sure it’s possible to run APFS in 10.12 without modifying the OS (if at all)

Motherboard
Z370 XP SLI
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
GTX 1060
Ahh. I thought there were still issues with APFS+Trim on NMVE drives, but maybe that has cleared up?
I had a speed hit on my High Sierra system with Samsung 960 Evo in read/write speeds with Blackmagic when formatted to APFS. As far as I'm aware, general recommendation is still HFS+ with an NVME drive.

Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9 7940X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
@Stork:

I've got an odd problem, and it's directly related to APFS.

I have a Gigabyte Z370 and the drives on it are HFS+. It's on 10.13.6. If I try and format any drive for APFS, I can't. The format won't complete and the drive is left in an incomplete state and won't mount. If I use my X99 that is 10.13.5 and is also now APFS, I can backup (from a HFS+ drive volume) and restore onto an APFS drive (formatted on the 10.13.5 system), but it won't boot on the Z370. My old least favorite error: HID legacy shim. Remember, HFS+ drives boot fine.

Now here's what's strange. I also have an X99 board that was HFS+. It's on 10.13.5. I converted all drives to APFS, using the process listed above - just reformat the system drive as APFS, then do a CCC restore from an HFS+ volume (at first). No issues, boots fine. In fact, my backup clones I converted just like as I've described, and they all booted. No issues.

So, I have a real Mac, and its on 10.13.6. I took one of the portable drive clones (USB) and plugged it in there and formatted it there as apfs, and it completed properly.

Right at this moment, I am doing a restore from an HFS+ volume via CCC to the newly Apfs formatted USB volume, the same process I used successfully to convert all the drives on my X99 system to APFS. I'll let you know if it worked, and if I can boot an APFS drive running 10.13.6 on my Z370 (or not). I'm beginning to believe there really is some issue with APFS and this Gigabyte Z370 board (and yes, BIOS is up to date).

But I now have a more serious problem. Clearly, I have an issue with my Gigabyte Z370 Hackintosh, as both my X99 Hackintosh (on 10.13.5) and my real Mac (on 10.13.6) will format a drive as APFS successfully, but my Gigabyte Z370 will not.

Thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270 D3H
CPU
i3-7350K OC 4.5GHz
Graphics
RX 580, 1280x1080
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Classic
Mobile Phone
iOS
Maybe it’s an optain memory issue since I think those boards were coming with it.

@Stork:

I've got an odd problem, and it's directly related to APFS.

I have a Gigabyte Z370 and the drives on it are HFS+. It's on 10.13.6. If I try and format any drive for APFS, I can't. The format won't complete and the drive is left in an incomplete state and won't mount. If I use my X99 that is 10.13.5 and is also now APFS, I can backup (from a HFS+ drive volume) and restore onto an APFS drive (formatted on the 10.13.5 system), but it won't boot on the Z370. My old least favorite error: HID legacy shim. Remember, HFS+ drives boot fine.

Now here's what's strange. I also have an X99 board that was HFS+. It's on 10.13.5. I converted all drives to APFS, using the process listed above - just reformat the system drive as APFS, then do a CCC restore from an HFS+ volume (at first). No issues, boots fine. In fact, my backup clones I converted just like as I've described, and they all booted. No issues.

So, I have a real Mac, and its on 10.13.6. I took one of the portable drive clones (USB) and plugged it in there and formatted it there as apfs, and it completed properly.

Right at this moment, I am doing a restore from an HFS+ volume via CCC to the newly Apfs formatted USB volume, the same process I used successfully to convert all the drives on my X99 system to APFS. I'll let you know if it worked, and if I can boot an APFS drive running 10.13.6 on my Z370 (or not). I'm beginning to believe there really is some issue with APFS and this Gigabyte Z370 board (and yes, BIOS is up to date).

But I now have a more serious problem. Clearly, I have an issue with my Gigabyte Z370 Hackintosh, as both my X99 Hackintosh (on 10.13.5) and my real Mac (on 10.13.6) will format a drive as APFS successfully, but my Gigabyte Z370 will not.

Thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mm2margaret, I have no idea what is causing the problem. Hopefully, someone can help you with this problem.

Motherboard
Asus X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU
i9 7940X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Well, that makes two of us.....:crazy:

So, reporting back, the restore did not work, and that process was exactly the same as the one I used on my X99 board successfully. It seems as if this Z370 board can't handle APFS drives at all. I'm stumped....for now....

EDIT: I should add that I can convert a regular spinning rotational hard drive to APFS, but I cannot convert any flash based drive to APFS - a 128GB USB drive, a SATA 2.5" SSD, or a M.2 NVMe drive. It just won't do any of them..

What is bizarre about this is that back at 10.13.1 or 10.13.2, I had this system running on APFS, and took it back to HFS+ because I was NTFS for Mac on it with a Windows drive and NTFS for Mac does not support APFS drives (yet).