Contribute
Register

Apple’s First ARM-based Mac Will Feature 12-Core Processor, Release in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I run my new Z490 in El Capitan?

Hmm... Maybe... Seeing as how it's a derivative of Skylake and Skylake ran El Capitan...

Hmm... Maybe... Seeing as how it's a derivative of Skylake and Skylake ran El Capitan...
I did manage to get my Haswell Pentium To boot into Snow Leopard once but it took a lot of work.

I did manage to get my Haswell Pentium To boot into Snow Leopard once but it took a lot of work.

In my opinion, it's pretty pointless to go back beyond Mojave and the only reason I see for doing so is if you have some 32-bit apps that have yet to be updated. Another option for those who need run 32-bit apps is to install Mojave in a virtual machine from within a Catalina system...

Smells like incompatibility issues down the road as different manufacturers will produce their own using ARM processor reference design. Kinda like Nvidia and AMD licencing their video card specs to Asus, Gigabyte, eVGA, etc.

Or having 3 or 4 versions of Android in play at the same time...

So, looks like it's not all untrue.

Whether they stay with Intel or move the ARM, I hope Apple updates base RAM configurations on their systems from 8GB to at least 16GB. Even the Raspberry Pi ships with 8GB now.

I hope Apple updates base RAM configurations on their systems from 8GB to at least 16GB.
Even if they don't double the base ram they should at least allow end users to upgrade it themselves. Soldered on ram is completely ludicrous. No one is going to damage their Mac by installing some ram.

Even if they don't double the base ram they should at least allow end users to upgrade it themselves. Soldered on ram is completely ludicrous. No one is going to damage their Mac by installing some ram.

I really don't think Apple laptops will ever have socketed RAM again. It goes against their "thin at all cost" M.O.

In 13 short days we'll have the answer from Apple. I'm hoping it's one small first step of a longer term transition. Not the hyperspeed Intel transition in the mid 2000s.

1591704611911.png

In 13 short days we'll have the answer from Apple. I'm hoping it's one small first step of a longer term transition. Not the hyperspeed Intel transition in the mid 2000s.

View attachment 475048

It's probably wise for users to hold off on buying any new hardware until after WWDC...

Side note:
There has been considerable GPU driver updates to recent versions of macOS. I don't know if Apple would invest so much time and effort on them if the GPUs are going to be dropped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back