Contribute
Register

Apple’s First ARM-based Mac Will Feature 12-Core Processor, Release in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say Apple moves away from the x86-platform, the interessting question is when will they stop providing updates for it. That might give us an idea about the future of the Hackintosh community. I don't see that coming in the near future and probably we will want to have another hardware by then. My guess, 7-10 years from now.

And: what makes anyone think the ARM-MacOS is not hackintosh-able?

When Apple transition from PowerPC to Intel, PowerPC support ended pretty quickly.

what makes anyone think the ARM-MacOS is not hackintosh-able?
That's for sure. The problem lays in how you'd get your hands on their proprietary chip. Where can you buy an A13 today, for instance? I doubt (to avoid arrogantly saying they won't) they would sell those separately. So while technically it could (definitely) be possible, it would not, practically.

Unless, of course, others started to manufacture the same chip. Don't know how, though.

Also, for those worried about running other operating systems, Windows on Arm exists as does dozens of different Linux distros.

Also, of course the chip is not everything we can change with hackintosh. We can upgrade RAM, SSD, peripherals and so on. But unless you'd buy a high end mac to get a chip out of that one and insert it in your build (which also wouldn't make much sense to me), there's not a lot of benefit in using an older, weaker chip.

you'd buy an iMac and take the chip out of that?
Why ? Then you've got a very large and expensive Aluminum paperweight that doesn't do much but looks pretty.

Why ? Then you've got a very large and expensive Aluminum paperweight that doesn't do much but looks pretty.
I'm really not following... do you think they'd use the same high end chips of, let's say the top iMac then, on lower end phone models? If so, I can see what you're saying, even though I don't agree. It could happen, I just don't think it'd make sense from a business perspective.

To put it simply as possible. I have no doubt they could produce ARM based iMac Pros and Mac Pros in the future. Whether it makes any sense to do that now is the question. When a customer has just invested 10 thousand dollars or more in a Mac Pro and it's modular, designed for many hardware upgrades over the years of ownership, to kill it off early would be very cruel. Trying to run complex and large Pro applications via an emulator will not work either.

A good number of original Intel MP owners used those for up to ten years or more by upgrading them with SSDs newer graphics cards, CPU upgrades etc. They'll really alienate many of their pro and semi pro users if they go this route. You can also probably guess how the hackintosh communities will react too.

Last edited:
That's for sure. The problem lays in how you'd get your hands on their proprietary chip. Where can you buy an A13 today, for instance? I doubt (to avoid arrogantly saying they won't) they would sell those separately. So while technically it could (definitely) be possible, it would not, practically.

Unless, of course, others started to manufacture the same chip. Don't know how, though.
Sorry I put that wrong, I meant to hackintosh the "ARM-MacOS", run it on Intel. I suppose there will be some kind of transition phase where both platforms are supported.

Well I just hope like everyone else that things remain the same for us but I also understand that Apple has to move forward and craft its own future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back