Contribute
Register

Apple Updates Mac Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
The graphics cards going into the MBPs today are Polaris 11 while the RX 460 '70 '80 cards that are for sale now are Polaris 10. The Polaris 11 chip has a much lower TDP of 75W so that it won't overheat inside the confined space of a laptop. As with all other AMD cards you will have to worry about framebuffers and other issues that come with AMD graphics. So WD is correct in saying that you shouldn't jump to the conclusion that there will be AMD graphics support across the board. Some threads already exist that are testing the Polaris 10 cards with Sierra follow those to see which desktop cards are the best options.

Actually, the RX 460 is the Polaris 11, the RX 470, and RX 480 are Polaris 10. I've had the pleasure of running all three in sierra since the early betas.
System def XFX.png
In the AMD9500controllerkext it has the 67ef1002 and 67df1002 definitions and support. Benchmarks on these cardsa are very close to windows 10 in the latest betas.

What's even cooler is the Broadwell and SKYLAKE graphics support in the new Sierra software. There are too many definitions in the AppleIntelSKLgrapphicskext to get a screen shot of. There must be over 10 Skylake igpu definitions in there. I'll bet Tony will have used all ten by next year at the rate he builds systems.

Last edited:
Actually, the RX 460 is the Polaris 11, the RX 470, and RX 480 are Polaris 10. I've had the pleasure of running all three in sierra since the early betas.
View attachment 217635
In the AMD9500controllerkext it has the 67ef1002 and 67df1002 definitions and support. Benchmarks on these cardsa are very close to windows 10 in the latest betas.

What's even cooler is the Broadwell and SKYLAKE graphics support in the new Sierra software. There are too many definitions in the AppleIntelSKLgrapphicskext to get a screen shot of. There must be over 10 Skylake igpu definitions in there. I'll bet Tony will have used all ten by next year at the rate he builds systems.

Do you have the notorious black screen issues at boot / sleep issues / having to enable iGPU etc ?

No. Don't make that kind of assumption. The polaris cards used by apple have not been set free in the wild. They have only been announced by LG today, probably at the same time as the keynote. Apple is the first, and so far only company to have their hands on them. Because of this, we don't known anything about performance or architecture, or how closely aligned they may be to the current polaris cards.

It would be great to think they would kick existing polaris cards into life, but given what has happened with existing AMD chips, you gotta wonder if exactly the same thing might happen i.e black screen / sleep issues.

Much uncertainty at this early stage.
It wasn't an assumption. It was a question. Thanks for the response, though.

It wasn't an assumption. It was a question. Thanks for the response, though.

That's cool. Didn't want anyone rushing out to by a shiny new polaris card only to find out it didn't work as expected :)

The thing I noticed most with the MBP lineup was that the ssd storage cannot be upgraded. Buy it with 256GB SSD, and if you run out of space then you buy a new laptop....

Do you have the notorious black screen issues at boot / sleep issues / having to enable iGPU etc ?

I have Metal Support, and benchmarks are on par with windows testing. Are there any 1070s or 1080s running with metal support?

No. Don't make that kind of assumption. The polaris cards used by apple have not been set free in the wild. They have only been announced by LG today, probably at the same time as the keynote. Apple is the first, and so far only company to have their hands on them. Because of this, we don't known anything about performance or architecture, or how closely aligned they may be to the current polaris cards.

It would be great to think they would kick existing polaris cards into life, but given what has happened with existing AMD chips, you gotta wonder if exactly the same thing might happen i.e black screen / sleep issues.

Much uncertainty at this early stage.

Polaris 10.png
OH this must be the other Polaris 10 then. There is plenty of support for certain brands of RX 4XX cards in Sierra, they do require integrated graphics mode for hackintosh builds.

Polaris support - That should make a lot of folks happy!
I don't want to be the party killer, but I'm pretty sure the OS X build on the new MBP won't have any different Polaris drivers. The MBP has small Polaris 11 GPUs, which had drivers for some months now. The boot to black screen issue is Hackintosh specific, so it's very unlikely Apple has addressed it.

From what I've seen, Polaris 10 compute performance is WAY lower than in Windows. It seems to be limited to 16 CUs (-> that's what the Radeon Pro 460 has - coincidence? ;)), so 20 out of CUs do... nothing.
OpenGL seems to be okay though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back