Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 2.14.22 PM.png
In a short event full of hardware announcements, Apple updated its laptop lineup today. New Macs include a newly designed MacBook Pro in 13” and 15” sizes with ‘Touchbar’ OLED function strip, improved display, and longer battery life. Pro models also feature Intel 6th generation Skylake Core i5/i7 CPUs with AMD Radeon Pro 'Polaris' graphics or Intel Iris 550 graphics. They also have 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports for data, networking, external displays or power. It's worth noting that these Macs have Thunderbolt 3 / USB Type-C ports only and eliminate all standard USB ports.

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 2.19.55 PM.png
Apple has discontinued the MacBook Air 11” and 13" models and replaced with a second more budget 13" MacBook Pro model. This has traditional function keys, integrated Intel 540 graphics, and 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports. The smaller 12” MacBook and older 13" Macbook Air are also still available as part of the new lineup.

The iMac was not mentioned, as it was spec bumped last Fall with Skylake processors and graphics configurations. No word on the Mac mini or Mac Pro either, although those products have not been updated in years.

Other non-Mac announcements included a new Apple TV interface.

More Info:
https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

Related:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/apple-announces-october-27th-press-event.205218/

Last edited:
Apple have received a lot of media hassle lately, especially in the light of Microsoft's new laptop. However it's going to be worth waiting and seeing how things pan out. In general Apple's equipment is high quality and thoroughbred. Microsoft only really has history with Surface and Xbox. Time will tell.

True, it would have been nice for Mac Minis and Mac Pros to get a boost... Oh, and where is the new Thunderbolt Monitor?

The Apple Store is currently down in the UK. Will have a good search once back :)

Apple have received a lot of media hassle lately, especially in the light of Microsoft's new laptop. However it's going to be worth waiting and seeing how things pan out. In general Apple's equipment is high quality and thoroughbred. Microsoft only really has history with Surface and Xbox. Time will tell.

True, it would have been nice for Mac Minis and Mac Pros to get a boost... Oh, and where is the new Thunderbolt Monitor?

The Apple Store is currently down in the UK. Will have a good search once back :)

It's back up now, I was refreshing quickly to check out the prices and boy it's not looking good for the pound sterling.

I was waiting for this release before deciding on building my hackintosh

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 7.32.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 7.32.40 PM.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 601
An incredibly disappointing keynote. Stunning "new" design of overpriced laptops we love too much to notice the actual price of.

It seems Apple just keeps pushing towards attractiveness and not towards productivity. Touch Bar is new and shiny - yes! Hardly either a professional or productive feature though. And to think that it was the highlight of the keynote... And come on - 2133 memory? Really? They could've at least gone for 2400....

Another year without a Mac Pro. I mean - I am guessing it's hard to go back to what works after "having the courage of your convictions to leave things out" - like... say.... the big box that actually allows you to swap things and upgrade, instead of buying a new one? Yeah. Tough call. I bet they are still mad about all the money they lost on the MacPro 5,1 by allowing users to swap memory, HDDs and PCI-E devices.

I still have a quiet hope in the corner of my mind they will launch a new Mac (not a MacBook, not an iMac - a Mac!) - one based on a Pascal GPU.

Gosh I am getting way to toxic, I'll just stop.

P.S. Oh - one more thing (I know, I know)

I had a very interesting discussion with my Leadership professor and she said something very very interesting that got stuck in my head and hasn't come out yet: "Apple is no longer hungry. Nor are they foolish. And that can very easily turn time back to the late 90s".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back