Contribute
Register

Apple Event announced for October 30th: 'Scary Fast'

I don't have any problems connecting an Xbox controller to my Mac over BT. Granted, the regular ones (vs the Elite versions) suffer from drift after a few years of use.
What’s the secret?, my xbox controller refuses to connect!. The Nimbus Steel Series is a pretty good sub though.

What’s the secret?, my xbox controller refuses to connect!. The Nimbus Steel Series is a pretty good sub though.

I have also not had any problems with Xbox or DualShock 4 controllers in macOS. They just work OOTB.

Just to make sure, in addition to pressing the main Xbox logo button on top, are you then also pressing and holding the small round pairing button next to the LB (Left Bumper) until the Xbox button is "fast flashing"? You have to do this second step when attempting to pair it to whatever device you want it paired to (in this case your Mac/Hack while your BT Settings pane is open in System Settings).

Also, if it is already paired to an Xbox or other device, you'll have to tap the pairing button a second time until the new device recognizes it.

Yes, doing all those things, shows up in the BT settings window but won’t connect!. I suspect because it’s paired to my other build which has W11Pro and I've had trouble un-pairing it. Nvm I’ll just get back to F-Zero 99!.

Last edited:
This photo of NeXT Cube better captures the tone of the looming Oct announcement. It's like Jobs is still influencing from the grave.
Thanks for your fascinating insights into the ‘Original’ Mac Cube Pro!. And I would have to agree with you on your 2nd point, I feel that with Sonoma especially. When Steve rejoined Apple he bought a lot of ‘Cube’ to Mac OSX and the ‘Aqua’ interface, Steve talked about fluidity in finder and I see a lot of that in Sonoma. Pick up a desktop widget and interact with items on the desktop, thats a very Steve ‘touch’.

... but the Cube was expensive so buyers went for minimal RAM—and then you do not, but really NOT, want to be on the receiving end of the experience of using a computer which has its swap memory on M/O. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I guess we could say that Steve Jobs always had a bad habit of crippling his computers with respect to storage and then overcharging customers for a solution—and that this legacy is still very well alive at Apple.

Back in the days, though, it was simple enough to put a regular SCSI hard drive in the Cube.

This Q/A with Steve Jobs at WWDC 1997 puts his way of thinking into perspective:

Apple's World Wide Developers Conference 1997 with Steve Jobs

(The relevant remarks begin at 10 min, with Jobs considering "network computing")

We see in his presentation that Jobs saw the concern through a certain lens of his personal preferences and plans.

My guess is that when marketing developed models showing how to extract max profits from up-sells on storage, Jobs offered no back-pressure, because he believed all his data should be on a server.

It's not that Apple doesn't understand price-points. Their awareness was on high display during 2006 WWDC, when the Mac Pro is introduced. Phil Schiller doesn't make a price pitch about storage, but he makes a big pitch about Mac Pro Quad-core Xeon, with 2x perf over PowerMac G5 tower, coming in at the low base price of $2499, which he argues was great deal on a gorgeous design. And I happen to agree.

My reasoning is that it's not that Apple doesn't appreciate the concern of price— They know when it matters. And with the Intel Mac Pro they conceded out of concern that the switch to Intel was a risk and so offered a great deal to ensure no backlash. But when they know when to compromise, they understand profits at least as well.

My guess is that Jobs didn't think the system should have any more storage than needed to be a network node, and it was part his long game to capture users into his networked computer vision. Along the way, storage up-sells delivered excellent margins while the iCloud story was assembled for Jobs' way of thinking. In the end, users were able to decide for themselves on storage — the design was far from weak on the matter — and if customers continued to gush about how insanely great Macs were in so many other ways, then unhappy customers had no one to blame but themselves for being stingey. And, if they didn't understand their own storage needs, then who could be the wiser. Pretty smart on Apple's part.

BTW—In the 1997 QA. Jobs says something amazing that heralds the hackintosh scene.

At 34m Jobs is asked a question:

Q: "How do you see the evolution of the future of the Machintish compatible market?"

A: "License everything—EXCEPT THE HW! Let the clone HW makers do whatever they want!"

He says to license the SW, but he's open-minded about what that means and where the value is. He describes low cost systems which have no margins but work simply "to bring low-end customers into the fold."

We might imagine (it's only a guess) that Apple took this to heart WRT hacks.

Possible new processing core and memory configurations​

Here’s how Bloomberg further characterized Monday’s likely MacBook Pro releases and the possible chip characteristics:
  • [Apple] has been testing multiple different versions of the M3 Pro processor. One baseline version in the works has 12 main processor cores, made up of six high-performance cores and six high-efficiency cores. Generally speaking, the more cores you have, the more powerful the chip. The product also has 18 cores for processing graphics. That would be an increase of two main processing cores and two graphics cores over the current model. Another M3 Pro chip seen in testing by developers has 14 main processing cores, including 10 for high performance and four for efficiency, and 30 graphics cores.
  • There are multiple versions of the M3 Max in testing, including a top-end version with 16 main processing cores — 12 for high performance and four for efficiency — and 40 graphics cores.
  • Apple has also tested updated configurations for memory, including new 24-gigabyte and 48-gigabyte options.

Last edited:
The first evening Apple Event is almost here. I’m always excited by the prospects of new Macs with new processors. Let’s hope M3 offers a substantial bump.

I have to say however that my M1 Max MacBook Pro is still too fast for my needs. Lots of life left in that system. But I may be tempted by the new 24” iMac.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

A 30 minute event on the 30th of October. Nothing we didn't already know about. M3, M3 Pro and M3 Max MBPs and an iMac upgraded to the M3. Only "surprise" was the Space Black color of the MBP. Not sure I'd want that.

Back