Contribute
Register

Apple Event announced for October 30th: 'Scary Fast'

It's late 2023 why do these iMacs still ship with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSDs ???? Ten years ago, in late 2013 8GB of ram came standard in the iMac. You also got a 1TB hard drive. Today that 8 GBs of ram and a 1TB NVMe SSD drive costs a lot less. Apple buys ram and SSDs is massive quantities at prices way below what we pay at retail. The event should have been titled "Scary Expensive."

Screen Shot 8.jpg

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Wake up Apple. Prices of ram and storage have come way down this year. Don't be so stingy. When you have a few hundred billion dollars of cash in the bank, do something for your customers with it.

Last edited:
What this upgraded iMac comes with should be the base model and cost $1300. To add these upgrades boosts the price to $2100. Hard to believe they do this in a non-user upgradable machine.

Screen Shot 6.jpg

View attachment 573656

A 30 minute event on the 30th of October. Nothing we didn't already know about. M3, M3 Pro and M3 Max MBPs and an iMac upgraded to the M3. Only "surprise" was the Space Black color of the MBP. Not sure I'd want that.
Memory bandwidth shrunk to 150GB/s for M3 Pro is also a surprise.

Although we're likely to just see updates to (a) iMac 24", (b) 14" MacBook Pro, (c) 16" MacBook Pro and (d) maybe update or discontinuation of 13" MacBook Pro, I am interested to see what peripheral updates will accompany these new machines.
Well my gut feeling about the 13” MBP came true. 14 is the new 13.

Last edited:
It's late 2023 why do these iMacs still ship with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSDs ???? Ten years ago, in late 2013 8GB of ram came standard in the iMac. You also got a 1TB hard drive. Today that ram and a 1TB NVMe SSD drive costs a lot less. The event should have been titled "Scary Expensive."

View attachment 573659
View attachment 573657

Wake up Apple. Prices of ram and storage have come way down this year. Don't be so stingy. When you have billions of cash in the bank, do something for your customers with it.
The bottom end costs the same as a iPhone with 512GB

So trade 256G for a screen 20x the size and a more powerful chipset. Sounds fair. Who was complaining about phone prices? No one.

If you want more storage, add it to your order.

This low end is very effective web appliance with killer display and plenty of speed.

And storage easily expandable with add-on drives. You don't have to front for TB and you still can get a cheap USB-C NVMe add-on drive with 2x peak SATA perf.

So my question is: what's suddenly worth complaining about now?

After 20 years, we can be sure Apple has figured out the optimal dark patterns. If you think that's a bad thing, point to any other sector not engaged in the same patterns.

Say... Tesla!

If you think a PC is a fantastic deal by comparison, buy it.

Oh, wait, you already did and spent 10x the cost in time hacking it.

The low-end storage complaint is so tired, it should sleep with the fishes.

With all the leaks, the official announcement was anticlimactic... I miss the days when we really didn't know what Apple had up their sleeves.

There has been lots of reports/forecasts that Mac sales have slowed dramatically. I had hoped that this would force Apple to finally adjust RAM and SSD pricing to reflect more current pricing trends. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

This release will probably kill Mac Studio and Mac Pro sales until they too are updated. My guess is that it won't be long before they are updated because no one in their right mind would purchase M2 based models when the entire M3 series of SoCs have already been released.

All this being said, I find the M3 series to be strong upgrades from M2.

Last edited:
Only "surprise" was the Space Black color of the MBP. Not sure I'd want that.

Someone should tell the Apple design team that the ubiquitous, generic corporate-issued Lenovo ThinkPads already come in all black....

Ten years ago, in late 2013 8GB of ram came standard in the iMac.
Just checked, it was actually late 2012 when the iMac line started giving you 8GB in the base model.
Still way too long without bumping the ram up to 16GB in the latest M3 iMacs. It would only cost
Apple a few dollars more per iMac sold. As long as TC is the CEO I don't think it will happen.

Screen Shot 10.jpg

Last edited:
Did anyone see this at 2:22 in the video ?
Here's the reason why they put this Pirate Flag Easter egg in the video. It's a reference to the Mac team back in 1983.

An Apple (AAPL) employee, among others, have snapped photos of a pirate flag flying high over Apple’s headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. on Friday. Apple also confirmed to Fortune that a pirate flag is indeed flying at its headquarters. The black flag includes the familiar white skull and crossbones, and perhaps most importantly, an Apple patch over one eye.

The flag is a subtle homage to Apple’s history and perhaps even Steve Jobs, who reportedly liked the flag that once flew over the company’s offices.

According to a piece written on historical preservation website Folklore by Andy Hertzfeld, one of the original members of Steve Jobs’ Macintosh team, the pirate flag was a metaphor for what Macintosh, and perhaps even Apple, should be as a team and company.

In 1983, Hertzfeld says Jobs held a retreat with his Macintosh team. At the retreat, Jobs discussed three “sayings” that he wanted his team to focus on: “Real artists ship,” “It’s better to be a pirate than join the Navy,” and “Mac in a book by 1986.”

1698764192844.png

Back