Contribute
Register

Apple Event announced for October 30th: 'Scary Fast'

1080p camera lol c'mon guys....

That’s innovative?...

As an owner of a M1 Max MacBook Pro from 2021, I am glad to see progress in some areas and stagnation in others!

The progress makes me envious. The stagnation makes me content with what I have.

Always two steps forward, one step back. It prevents my 2-year old machine from becoming antiquated too quickly.

As an owner of a M1 Max MacBook Pro from 2021, I am glad to see progress in some areas and stagnation in others!

The progress makes me envious. The stagnation makes me content with what I have.

Always two steps forward, one step back. It prevents my 2-year old machine from becoming antiquated too quickly.
I have the 2020 M1 MacBook Air, I just don't see anything that would justify the purchase of an M3 version!. Macs are becoming the new iPhone, just tiny incremental updates to the same old design. Granted one has to ask have Apple reached the design threshold in their product lineup?. Since Sir Jony left I haven't really seen anything from Apple that would make me think, 'Thank God, an iMac with no chin'!. Sure the Goggles are a new and exciting thing, but am I or 80% of people going to be able to afford it?, unlikely. And I doubt you'll see many people wandering the streets wearing a pair!. Innovation costs and is slow to reach the majority, lets hope Apple pulls this off, else they could be stuck with the 'VR' label.

If the 1080p camera is the biggest complaint about the iMac, then I think the iMac is fine. I don't know how often others use the webcams. Personally, I rarely use mine. If I were shopping for an iMac, I'd be fine with a 1080p camera and would not want the added cost of a 4K webcam tacked on to it. If/when I really want higher quality, I can always use my iPhone via Continuity Camera.

When looking for "innovation", I look under the hood. I'm looking for improvements to the Apple Silicon SoC. I don't know how much "innovation" can go in to the box that houses the guts of a Mac Studio or the form factor of a laptop or iMac. How much "innovation" can go in to these shells? They can add more Thunderbolt ports or include 4K webcams but is that "innovation" or just design/business decisions? To me, "innovation" is adding MetalFX Upscaling or hardware Ray Tracing or improving power/thermal efficiencies while also improving performance. There's a reason why shoelaces have remained largely unchanged for centuries...

At $3500, no one, including Apple, expects the Apple Vision Pro to see mass adoption. However, I fully expect future revisions will see the prices drop. Think Lisa to Macintosh...

Where’s the innovation Apple?.
Under the hood. As in in using (likely) TSMC N3B node, of which Apple is the sole customer.

Commercial innovation: Introduce M3, M3Pro and M3Max variants all in one go—but only in middle to top of the line products, possibly because N3B is not yet ready to deliver enough chips for the lower-end MacBook Air.

And then there could be this "dynamic caching" thing. For those who like to dissect how processors work at the lowest level…

But being boring and not giving reasons to upgrade from products from the previous years is a sign of maturity. So: Well done Apple!

The M series chips are based on iPhone chips but made for desktop, yeah congratulations Apple for making that giant leap in innovation .

The M series chips are based on iPhone chips but made for desktop, yeah congratulations Apple for making that giant leap in innovation .

Until Apple did it, who else was making desktop class Arm based CPUs with performance that's competitive with Intel or AMD's offerings for the mass market? What has Dell or HP done in terms of innovation on laptops or desktop PCs? Stick 4K webcams in them?

Back