Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

Geekbench Browser just added Mac Studio models to the chart. The M1 Ultra one is now the most powerful Mac.

截圖 2022-05-03 22.10.28.png

Geekbench Browser just added Mac Studio models to the chart. The M1 Ultra one is now the most powerful Mac.

View attachment 547077

The linear scaling of the M1 is notable.

But what catches my eye is the Macbook Pro at bottom, with a result that exceeds a 2 year old 10900K desktop overclocked to 5GHz and pumping close to 300W.

Am interested to see how Apple thinks about performance and design of the next Mac Pro.

I also appreciate others sentiments of preference for a more flexible parts choice by hacking.

My appreciation of the alternative never crosses over to disdain for Apple's way. I truly enjoy using macOS as compared to Linux. It's the simplest things, like copy/paste are two different shortcuts on Ubuntu terminal and apps, and the terminal form requires 3-keys. Whenever Linux cats start talking about how they found a distro that does something another way or another, my eyes start rolling: yes if you reprogram your own computer you can make it work any way you want: Good luck! Mint surprised me with being Windows more likably than Windows.

Actual Windows never stops dumbfounding me with how bad it feels, even when its helping me. Its an honest and true irrational hatred on my part. It does everything and anything and I never feel good about any of it. It also does a 3-reboot major upgrade every other week, and Microsoft never stops hinting that I'm not thinking enough like Microsoft. Windoes is self-fulfilling computing. If I have no work to do, Windows makes me work for it!

I'm now fond of macOS defects and idiosyncrasies. Stuff I thought would be showstopping like end of 32-bit code was less of problem than I thought. Things generally keep working the same way for better or worse. As horrible as the Finder is, with race conditions, and glitchy behavior, Linux and Windows are worse. Linux because everything feels like an afterthought. Windoes because every time I see a F: or Z: drive or have to run regedit or gpedit, or when you get into old parts of config and with goofy tabs and tiny scrolling boxes that look like Windows 2000, I just feel gobsmacked.

IOS I just accept even when it's throwing my work away. Funny how conditioned I am too it. Even when I hate it I don't question its legitimacy.

Androidz, I have no idea and I'm lost in the weeds. Never learned.

Blah blah

The linear scaling of the M1 is notable.

But what catches my eye is the Macbook Pro at bottom, with a result that exceeds a 2 year old 10900K desktop overclocked to 5GHz and pumping close to 300W.

Am interested to see how Apple thinks about performance and design of the next Mac Pro.

I also appreciate others sentiments of preference for a more flexible parts choice by hacking.

My appreciation of the alternative never crosses over to disdain for Apple's way. I truly enjoy using macOS as compared to Linux. It's the simplest things, like copy/paste are two different shortcuts on Ubuntu terminal and apps, and the terminal form requires 3-keys. Whenever Linux cats start talking about how they found a distro that does something another way or another, my eyes start rolling: yes if you reprogram your own computer you can make it work any way you want: Good luck! Mint surprised me with being Windows more likably than Windows.

Actual Windows never stops dumbfounding me with how bad it feels, even when its helping me. Its an honest and true irrational hatred on my part. It does everything and anything and I never feel good about any of it. It also does a 3-reboot major upgrade every other week, and Microsoft never stops hinting that I'm not thinking enough like Microsoft. Windoes is self-fulfilling computing. If I have no work to do, Windows makes me work for it!

I'm now fond of macOS defects and idiosyncrasies. Stuff I thought would be showstopping like end of 32-bit code was less of problem than I thought. Things generally keep working the same way for better or worse. As horrible as the Finder is, with race conditions, and glitchy behavior, Linux and Windows are worse. Linux because everything feels like an afterthought. Windoes because every time I see a F: or Z: drive or have to run regedit or gpedit, or when you get into old parts of config and with goofy tabs and tiny scrolling boxes that look like Windows 2000, I just feel gobsmacked.

IOS I just accept even when it's throwing my work away. Funny how conditioned I am too it. Even when I hate it I don't question its legitimacy.

Androidz, I have no idea and I'm lost in the weeds. Never learned.

Blah blah

An interesting post. A new thread in Bat Cave something along the lines of "macOS Rules" etc. etc. might be more appropriate given the main thrust.

Personally I found the removal of 32-bit code a bit of smoke and mirrors on Apple's behalf. Check the size of their OS packages. You might reasonably expect them to have become smaller with all the legacy code removed, but that wasn't the case. Now, yes, they are twice as big being "Universal" binaries, but Catalina wasn't smaller than Mojave to any notable extent.

Ironically with something as simple as DOSBox64 or Codeweavers Crossover, you can run 8-bit DOS programmes and 16 or 32-bit Windows apps, all on an M1 Mac.

Maybe you can expound further in a new thread? :thumbup:

An interesting post. A new thread in Bat Cave something along the lines of "macOS Rules" etc. etc. might be more appropriate given the main thrust.

Personally I found the removal of 32-bit code a bit of smoke and mirrors on Apple's behalf. Check the size of their OS packages. You might reasonably expect them to have become smaller with all the legacy code removed, but that wasn't the case. Now, yes, they are twice as big being "Universal" binaries, but Catalina wasn't smaller than Mojave to any notable extent.

Ironically with something as simple as DOSBox64 or Codeweavers Crossover, you can run 8-bit DOS programmes and 16 or 32-bit Windows apps, all on an M1 Mac.

Maybe you can expound further in a new thread? :thumbup:

Watching Windows games run on Crossover which runs on Rosetta 2 on Apple Silicon Macs amazes me.

The reason my thoughts wandered into rumination about enjoyment of macOS in context of benchmarks thread and questions/advantages of modularity is that the hackintosher ostensibly gets everything he wants and more with Linux, and has a future in FLOSS community. Yet he's not doing Linux! (I'm speaking about myself in the third-person) implying that macOS is a deal-breaker. Why? As I screedled my post, I found I had no reasons, just feelings. Thus the "blah blah." But I posted anyway, hoping socratic discourse may lead to clearer thinking.

If I come across any revelations I'll start another thread.

Especially since this concept (as far as I know) does not work on Linux ARM. Obviously Windows ARM it does for VMs.

Yes, the key to all this working is Rosetta2 :thumbup:.

Should be interesting!. Using the trial version, downloaded steam and installing Destiny 2 on my M1 MBA 8 core GPU.
Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 2.01.56 AM.png

Craighazan,

Interesting! Didn't know it could work like that. That for sure will make a few ppl happy.

On a separate note I wanted to say I'd been reading up on this new report lately. Not sure if anyone knows but apparently a number of Mac Studio users have been reporting a high-pitched sound coming from their systems. The whine is so loud for some that it sounds like a jet engine turbine taking off when the internal fan runs at full speed.

Back