Contribute
Register

Anyone have a quiet fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thanks BigDonkey :clap: :clap: :clap:

rev.604

Tested for an hour on my i3 system without any issues.

Attachments

• rev.604.zip
    440.3 KB · Views: 243
For some reason adding the TCPU Method patch reduces the maximum frequency of my i7 2730M CPU from 2500Mhz to 2000Mhz, dropping my geekbench 32-bit score from ~8900 to ~6400. I'm not familiar enough with DSDT to know why. Method FAN0 does not affect performance. I am using latest ACPISensors.kext, FakeSMC.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext, and HWMonitor.app. Any advice?

On the plus side, I notice that it makes the CPU operate at 800Mhz at idle, which is lower than before. I'd like this aspect to remain the same, as there's no need to waste battery when I don't need the processing power.

Should this work with 4330s?
My TCPU is usually slightly below 55 (51-54) and fan keeps switching from around 2900 to 3800 but mostly it's at 3800.

blaraka said:
Should this work with 4330s?
My TCPU is usually slightly below 55 (51-54) and fan keeps switching from around 2900 to 3800 but mostly it's at 3800.
What are your CPU0 and CPU1 temperatures? Are you running something CPU intensive that keeps temperature in the 50's ?

Fan keeps switching because your working temperatures are hitting threshold values 55° and 52°
In your case patch may need to be adjusted couple degrees upwards.

CPU1 tends to be 1 or 2 degress warmer than CPU0 and both are usually above 50 even when I'm just browsing the web... (at the moment it's 52 and 54 with CPU at 792 Mhz) When I am doing something really intensive it sometimes goes even above 60. Is something wrong with my laptop? In my opinion it doesn't feel hot or even warm but I saw most of you got significantly lower temperatures.

How should I change the dsdt patch? I attach my dsdt to this post.

Attachments

• dsdt.aml
    138.9 KB · Views: 86
I adjusted the upper threshold to 60°. See how it works for you.

Can you open Activity Monitor and sort "All Processes" by CPU. Is anything eating your cycles when idle?

Attachments

• dsdt.aml_60.zip
    47.4 KB · Views: 99
It seems to be much better now, it keeps the fan at 2961rpm. Thank you!

Nothing steals the cycles and the temperatures were quite similar when I checked it with HWINFO64 on Win7 (almost clean installation). Any idea why I got such high idle temperatures?

blaraka said:
It seems to be much better now, it keeps the fan at 2961rpm. Thank you!

Nothing steals the cycles and the temperatures were quite similar when I checked it with HWINFO64 on Win7 (almost clean installation). Any idea why I got such high idle temperatures?
You probably have a problem with heatsink (maybe a bit unscrewed, or too much thermal grease...). Have you tried to remove the heatsink, clean it and change the thermal paste, as discussed in the first messages of this topic ? It is really easy on the 4330s.

Well, I think about it but I am a little bit afraid about losing my warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back