Contribute
Register

Anyone have a quiet fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Works great!! I'm coasting at 46-48*C @ 27xx rpm.

Thanks a lot BigDonkey et al., you guys make my laptop the best I've ever owned!

HAnDZ said:
Works great!! I'm coasting at 46-48*C @ 27xx rpm.

Thanks a lot BigDonkey et al., you guys make my laptop the best I've ever owned!
It is strange that mine never goes below 292x. I think it will be very silent if i manage to get it to 27xx. I've atached my dsdt. Maybe can someone have a look to see if it's something wrong.

Attachments

• dsdt.aml
    141.5 KB · Views: 84
I did as described in the first parts of this thread.
Downloaded the latest from osx86.net, so not the 582 version.

I use DSDT editor, not the DSDT SE app, as I can't seem to get that one to compile without giving me some weird issue, even on an unmodified DSDT.

So when I found the DSDT editor app, I could apply the first piece of code that BigDonky posted. This worked in the sense that after I changed the 'monitor' part in one of the kexts, and installed the KEXTs via KextUtility.app, I could read the fan rpm in HW monitor.app.
So far so good.

I think that there is an issue though with the next part of the post that changed the DSDT.
I replaced what was there with what BigDonkey posted but booting with that gives me weird results.
First of all my wifi disappeared and some other box with which I could switch off some other device(s) came into view... huh? Also the battery status went to 'battery' rather than showing the power source to be the power adaptor... che?
And the fan was still the same anyway.

I have a bog standard 4530s with i3-2330, 4GB, no ATI, bios F0A, ... here is my DSDT which I used by booting with DSDT=/Extra/DSDTnewfan.aml (let that be a tip for many who try this and want to fallback to working version by doing nothing but a reboot!!!)

The DSDT editor compiled it fine, and produced an AML file which I saved, attached here.
Funky...

I really like to get rid of some fan noise pls. Yelp!

==> New status <==
I don't know why as I did this several times, but I said 'one more time'... and so I rebooted (cold) with the option (in my case DSDT=/Extra/DSDTnewfan.aml ) and voila!!!
It works now... a bit higher temp but I can live with it, and a much much lower noise level as the fan speed dropped 500 rpms or so.

So I attach a pic of it, running, I also seem to have a CPU heatsink temp now in HW monitor... kewl!

Only other plan of attach I would have had to do this is somehow lower the CPU voltage, as it seems that the CPUs actually can take that quite well and still operate. (Less Volts = Less heat... so less temp, and we could then maybe drop below 30 together with (for me taking the whole thing apart and) changing the heat sink silicone and putting Arctic Silver 5 on it...
The other method would be patching the BIOS but... yeah, never mind.

So fine... seems this works now!!! Fantastic so far. Big thanks to all involved! Looking forward for BK to put it in the installer (bet that is a bit of work :D )

Darf

Attachments

• DSDTnewfan.aml
    138.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 3.17.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 3.17.43 PM.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 275
I need help!
Get 12 errors by using the compile function in DSDT editor and can't fix them.
Have a 4530 with the Radeon and F20 Bios 1080p screen. I realize that I need two patches, but I'm not able to do so cause errors.
Where can I find the HWMonitor.app?

It will be in the zip file when you download the stuff from osx86 net...
and like I wrote, to be on the safe side, you should name your DSDT file something NOT like it is, and test it, by naming it for instance dsdttest.aml.
Then in startup you specify DSDT=/Extra/dsdttest.aml
If you then mess something up, you just need to reboot and not type in the DSDT=... and you are good.

Without posting the DSDT nobody can really help you. In most cases I would bet it is forgetting a { or } etc. Although the editor should check that really.
And you don't put the 2nd patch in AS WELL, you put it in INSTEAD of the previous patch in DSDT.

The other 'patch' is just editing the kext's plist from monitor to MONITOR but that is a simple exercise ... just correct the right one :D

Could you please upload the FakeSMCzip-file, I don't want register to the projectOS-Forum.
Here is my DSDT....

Attachments

• dsdt1.aml
    141.8 KB · Views: 80
@F2Air
Corrected errors in dsdt1.aml and posting files from rev.582
Happy testing !

Attachments

• dsdt2.aml.zip
    48.2 KB · Views: 87
  • rev.582.zip
    310.7 KB · Views: 91
BigDonkey said:
@F2Air
Corrected errors in dsdt1.aml and posting files from rev.582
Happy testing !

Thank you BigDonkey - you made my day. Works like a charm :thumbup:
I only installed RadeonX.kext, ACPI.kext and HW Monitor.app!

Here is my DSDT ,please can somebody put the 2nd patch,thanks.

Attachments

• dsdt.aml
    141.2 KB · Views: 98
goksi75 said:
Here is my DSDT ,please can somebody put the 2nd patch,thanks.

goksi75
please try this one.

Attachments

• dsdt.aml.zip
    47.9 KB · Views: 94
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back