Contribute
Register

Anyone have a quiet fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi !
I try to install the patch but i can't install the patch with DSDT Editor i have this error and i can't fix it :
U362 Error _HID suffix must be all hex digits (ITOR)
here my DSDT.aml
Thanks for help me

Attachments

• dsdt.aml
    137.7 KB · Views: 136
al-kimiya said:
Hi !
I try to install the patch but i can't install the patch with DSDT Editor i have this error and i can't fix it :
U362 Error _HID suffix must be all hex digits (ITOR)
here my DSDT.aml
Thanks for help me
The problem is that the name MONITOR is not an ACPI compliant _HID (hardware ID). The new compiler checks this, where evidently an older one didn't. I looked this up in the ACPI v5 spec.

To get it to compile, you will need to change the _HID name from 'MONITOR' to 'FAN00000'. After you do that it will compile, but you will need to change 'MONITOR' in ACPISensors.kext/Contents/Info.plist to 'FAN00000'.

If you search the v4 Installer thread (viewtopic.php?f=259&t=64780) for 'FAN00000' you will the full discussion.

You could also just use the v4 Installer to copy both the DSDT and the ACPISensors.kext. Or... you could extract the same with Pacifist and install/copy them yourself.

I've tried change .plist of ACPISensors.kext from MONITOR to FAN00000 and it's ok, but in the dsdt, when I try compile it, give me an error.
DSDT's world it's dark for me (still), and I've found this theard in another forum: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.p ... st&p=15865
Should be possible control our fan speed? I'm on 2643 rpm usually and 3300 rpm +/- if I go to 55º or more (I'm in Spain, too hot...), well, it's all right, but.. why don't 1000 rpm like my iMac? 40-45 celcius degrees it's a very good temp for my 4530s.
Anyone know about it?

Thanks!!

lolorm said:
I've tried change .plist of ACPISensors.kext from MONITOR to FAN00000 and it's ok, but in the dsdt, when I try compile it, give me an error.
DSDT's world it's dark for me (still), and I've found this theard in another forum: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.p ... st&p=15865
Should be possible control our fan speed? I'm on 2643 rpm usually and 3300 rpm +/- if I go to 55º or more (I'm in Spain, too hot...), well, it's all right, but.. why don't 1000 rpm like my iMac? 40-45 celcius degrees it's a very good temp for my 4530s.
Anyone know about it?

Thanks!!
If you are unable to compile, you probably have an old compiler. I downloaded the latest Intel compiler and built it at the time (google "intel acpi asl compiler"). At any rate, you do don't need to compile your own, you just need to use the DSDTs already included in the v4 ProBook Installer. Then you need to run HWMonitor.

You are not going to get 1000 rpm. The fan on the HP is controlled by the EC (embedded controller). Its speed control is in large granular steps. The ~2600 rpm is the slowest speed before turning completely off. The only way to get slower would be to modify the hardware, perhaps using an inline resistor to change the voltage at the fan.

lolorm said:
Anyone know about it?

Thanks!!

You probably have an old compiler. Ok, go here and take the latest compiler (the link to iASL command line version 20120711). Extract it somewhere. Right-click on the iasl file, Copy "iasl", then locate your DSDT Editor app, right-click on it, Show Contents, go to Contents/Resources/Java (Contents/Resources for the DSDTSE app) and paste the file here, replacing the old one. Now you're good to go.

You probably have an old compiler. Ok, go here and take the latest compiler (the link to iASL command line version 20120711). Extract it somewhere. Right-click on the iasl file, Copy "iasl", then locate your DSDT Editor app, right-click on it, Show Contents, go to Contents/Resources/Java (Contents/Resources for the DSDTSE app) and paste the file here, replacing the old one. Now you're good to go.

Yes, worked for me. Now I'm with FAN00000 instead of MONITOR in both sides (kext and dsdt), but I'm still on 2671 rpm. Is there any way to put it to 0rpm? It'd be the last for my 4530s for being a silent macbook pro.

Yes, worked for me. Now I'm with FAN00000 instead of MONITOR in both sides (kext and dsdt), but I'm still on 2671 rpm. Is there any way to put it to 0rpm? It'd be the last for my 4530s for being a silent macbook pro.
There is no way to go lower than ~2600 except for the fan going to 0. The fan on the ProBook is controlled by the EC (embedded controller) and has only fixed increments (and those increments are pretty large). On battery, it will sometimes turn off, if the temps lower enough, and you can get the same to happen while plugged in, but you need to change the BIOS option for that.

There is no way to go lower than ~2600 except for the fan going to 0. The fan on the ProBook is controlled by the EC (embedded controller) and has only fixed increments (and those increments are pretty large). On battery, it will sometimes turn off, if the temps lower enough, and you can get the same to happen while plugged in, but you need to change the BIOS option for that.

So, is it impossible?

So, is it impossible?
Pretty much. There is a fan controller for Windows (see tpfancontrol.com) where you can keep it at zero for higher temps... I tried it but found it got confused and started reading the temps incorrectly and not turning the fan on when it should (allowing CPU to overheat). Ideally, manufacturers would allow for finer control over fan speeds, such that the fan could turn very slowly (800 - 1000rpm) for moderate use. But they didn't do that on the ProBook. You could probably open up the hardware and put a resistor inline to modify the voltage reaching the fan thus slowing the fan, but that would void the warranty. I'll likely look into that when the warranty is up on mine. But really the slowest speed doesn't really bother me much, except when the ambient noise is quite low.

Pretty much. There is a fan controller for Windows (see tpfancontrol.com) where you can keep it at zero for higher temps... I tried it but found it got confused and started reading the temps incorrectly and not turning the fan on when it should (allowing CPU to overheat). Ideally, manufacturers would allow for finer control over fan speeds, such that the fan could turn very slowly (800 - 1000rpm) for moderate use. But they didn't do that on the ProBook. You could probably open up the hardware and put a resistor inline to modify the voltage reaching the fan thus slowing the fan, but that would void the warranty. I'll likely look into that when the warranty is up on mine. But really the slowest speed doesn't really bother me much, except when the ambient noise is quite low.

I'm curious, did you ever get around to installing the above mentioned resistor? I wonder if I should do this while upgrading my cpu?
(to prevent any obnoxious fan side effects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back