Contribute
Register

Any hackintosh compatible USB 3.1 Type C Pci-E cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, your boot screen is up.
I have 6 boot options.
Boot from:
BkUp HD
Recovery HD
Filevault Preboot
Install Prebooter from Preboot
Hack HD (my main)
Recovery HD

Hack HD

@pastrychef @UtterDisbelief
I've tried booting twice. It hangs just like the other folder did.

I want to apologize to the other members of the forum for totally hijacking this thread.
We went way off into a different direction with you guys trying to help me with my problem.

Should we start a new thread and move this EFI Folder fix there?

To get back to the original question. In the quest to get USB3 ports at 10Gbps speeds I purchased this card:

It uses the ASMedia ASM2142 controller. I could not get it to work and removed it when I took the machine apart last week. With UtterDisbelief's encouragement I rebuilt the machine and made some headway.
Thank you!

I'm going to reinstall this card and I'll let you know if it fires up.

@pastrychef @UtterDisbelief
I've tried booting twice. It hangs just like the other folder did.

I want to apologize to the other members of the forum for totally hijacking this thread.
We went way off into a different direction with you guys trying to help me with my problem.

Should we start a new thread and move this EFI Folder fix there?

To get back to the original question. In the quest to get USB3 ports at 10Gbps speeds I purchased this card:

It uses the ASMedia ASM2142 controller. I could not get it to work and removed it when I took the machine apart last week. With UtterDisbelief's encouragement I rebuilt the machine and made some headway.
Thank you!

I'm going to reinstall this card and I'll let you know if it fires up.

Using that card is no different from using the USB 3.1 gen 2 on your motherboard.

OK.
Before you helped me the RED USB3.1 port did not work.
It does now, although I don't see anything in sys info.

Should we move this dialog to a new thread? I'm feeling guilty about derailing it.

OK.
Before you helped me the RED USB3.1 port did not work.
It does now, although I don't see anything in sys info.

Should we move this dialog to a new thread? I'm feeling guilty about derailing it.

Moving the thread is a good idea. However on the subject of add-on PCI-e USB cards, which remains on-topic ...

If you use the system-definition of a Mac Pro that was designed for PCI-e cards you strengthen the possibility of compatibility. iMacs, Minis, and MacBooks were never designed to be expanded with this method, but fortunately the OS is flexible enough to allow us to, even though it can get confused.

The way macOS works is to examine the hardware and allocate resources to the Intel chipset USB ports on the XHCI controller (or in the old days EHCI) with an upper limit of 15 of these. Add-on cards are catered for but the ports appear elsewhere in the IORegistryExplorer output, usually on the RP0* nodes. This means they are not natively configurable, but they are usable. In theory you could have a huge number of extras as long as they are considered as add-ons and not expected to be treated as XHC.

A problem arises with PC motherboards because the manufacturers often supplement the Intel range of ports with extras either 'boosted' by an external chipset or added-to by one. So for example, a set of USB2 ports included on the Intel chip can be 'boosted' to USB3 with a helper chip. Or extra ports, like the latest USB3.1 Gen 2, can be provided when the Intel chipset being used doesn't supply them.

With this hybrid set up we may want to include these ports in our configurations but macOS just shrugs and says "I don't know what to do with these", so they sometimes work but are not managed as native.

Up until 2015 @RehabMan wrote and maintained a kext called GenericUSBXHCI.kext which, as you can tell from the name, allowed inclusion of these external ports. However it hasn't been updated and now rarely works with the latest macOS versions. Some of these third-party chips are supported by macOS but only as non-XHC ports and if they aren't elsewhere on the PCI-e sub-system the OS is not sure how to use them, though they often provide basic functionality. Getting their power-delivery right is very difficult.

All of this, complicated though it sounds, is just a consequence of us trying to shoehorn PC hardware into the strict confines of macOS.

:)

@UtterDisbelief
Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense.
I'm going to read your "The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration" & "[Guide] Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext" again today and see if I can get further into configuring this machine properly.

I'm going to back to my original post "GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-Designare with Mojave 10.14.6" with questions about the EFI folder and the USB port limit.

Thanks.

I use the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge, with 2 Thunderbolt ports, 2 mini display ports and one display port.

Hi MACAK, do you need add any ktext and configure the card for usage?

Hi MACAK, do you need add any ktext and configure the card for usage?

I still have the card, but it's not installed at the moment. I run a Radeon VII via DP to my monitor and it's a dream come to. When I had it installed, I used @CaseySJ 's help to get it working.

You should fill out your profile so we all can see what kind of setup you have.

I still have the card, but it's not installed at the moment. I run a Radeon VII via DP to my monitor and it's a dream come to. When I had it installed, I used @CaseySJ 's help to get it working.

You should fill out your profile so we all can see what kind of setup you have.
thanks for getting back to me. I am rebuilding a new hackintosh and not sure which board to use Asus Prime-A or Prime-B. My old setup is now a Windows 10-kidspc.

The Gigabyte Designare motherboard even though it has the Z390 chipset, has been the best MB I have had.
I just build a an ASUS MB workstation and it works fine, but for my personal use, it will have to compete with the Designare to get me to use something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back