Contribute
Register

AMD 5700 XT crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way to answer your question - would be pure conjecture. Just sharing what stabilized mine.

Is there any warranty left on the card? May want to try an RMA.
I forgot to mention; I had a GTX 1080 before and switched the GPU to a GTX 970, after this, I had similar freezing happening; the system would restart sometimes when I tried rendering anything in Adobe After Effects. I just had another crash going back to my GTX 970 (small shock from my finger touching the case). Usually the screen flickers, but NEVER a full restart like now. I'm wondering if either my Motherboard of PSU are starting to die....? The 5700 XT is by far the most power hungry GPU my system has ever tried handled...

I don't have any warranty on the card, I bought it second hand from Facebook Marketplace.

UPDATE:

Got another system reboot with my GTX 970 installed while running an mp4 compression via handbrake. It's looking like it's either my motherboard or my power supply. I hope it's the power supply; that will be easier to replace.

Last edited:
Ah, good jog of memory. I had a Seasonic 550w PSU that I had to upgrade to a 750w unit when I got the 5700XT. These things are hungry cards.
Well, I've since replaced the power supply. Didn't help. System still crashed with the GTX 960, iGPU and the 5700 XT. Crashes were happening even under load when running Handbrake and no strain on the GPU.

Got a replacement motherboard (MSI Z97S Krait Edition); now it's crashing with the 5700 XT when loading games in Windows or typically after a game has finished in OS X. A couple crashes occurred when doing either nothing or when loading my Plex movie library as well in OS X.

Either this card is a total piece of **** from AMD and Sapphire or there's something else going on in my system. I can't take it anymore, I'm so exhausted with all this trouble shooting and trying to figure what the **** is going wrong with the system. I'm almost certain now it's the GPU that it's just hot garbage and get something else like an RX 570... I'll have to forget about playing any games until I can get my hands on a properly functioning GPU.

I wish Apple and Nvidia weren't complete morons and we could get our hands on GPUs that weren't trash. I've never had problems with any of my past Nvidia cards; GTX 660, 960, 970, 980 and 1080. All ran perfectly. Going forward with AMD, I'm going to have to be extra cautious. I've heard about all the issues their cards have especially with drivers, and I'm getting a very unpleasant first hand experience with this.

Well, I've since replaced the power supply. Didn't help. System still crashed with the GTX 960, iGPU and the 5700 XT. Crashes were happening even under load when running Handbrake and no strain on the GPU.

Got a replacement motherboard (MSI Z97S Krait Edition); now it's crashing with the 5700 XT when loading games in Windows or typically after a game has finished in OS X. A couple crashes occurred when doing either nothing or when loading my Plex movie library as well in OS X.

Either this card is a total piece of **** from AMD and Sapphire or there's something else going on in my system. I can't take it anymore, I'm so exhausted with all this trouble shooting and trying to figure what the **** is going wrong with the system. I'm almost certain now it's the GPU that it's just hot garbage and get something else like an RX 570... I'll have to forget about playing any games until I can get my hands on a properly functioning GPU.

I wish Apple and Nvidia weren't complete morons and we could get our hands on GPUs that weren't trash. I've never had problems with any of my past Nvidia cards; GTX 660, 960, 970, 980 and 1080. All ran perfectly. Going forward with AMD, I'm going to have to be extra cautious. I've heard about all the issues their cards have especially with drivers, and I'm getting a very unpleasant first hand experience with this.

Have you tried testing or replacing the RAM? As that sounds like it could be the culprit.

Have you tried testing or replacing the RAM? As that sounds like it could be the culprit.
I tried each RAM stick on it's own with my old motherboard; I still had issues. Haven't tried it with the new motherboard. And honestly, I feel like I don't have any more time for this. If the situation with console plebs swallowing up production of silicon from TSMC wasn't this bad, I'd just say '**** IT' and buy a new 5700 XT GPU instead.

I agree - if you've replace the motherboard, PSU, and it happens with multiple GPUs - I have some bad news - it isn't the GPU. A new GPU will *NOT* solve your issue.

More than likely either RAM (Run Memtest for 24 hours), CPU, or your SSD going bad - it does happen, albeit rare.

I agree - if you've replace the motherboard, PSU, and it happens with multiple GPUs - I have some bad news - it isn't the GPU. A new GPU will *NOT* solve your issue.

More than likely either RAM (Run Memtest for 24 hours), CPU, or your SSD going bad - it does happen, albeit rare.
I got myself a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro 4GB. Instantly I can tell it's more reliable; the screen doesn't flicker when logging into OS X. Furthermore, it never crashed when testing any of my games. For safe measure, I tried two separate PCIe cables instead of daisy chaining the 5700 XT; still crashed.

I got myself a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro 4GB. Instantly I can tell it's more reliable; the screen doesn't flicker when logging into OS X. Furthermore, it never crashed when testing any of my games. For safe measure, I tried two separate PCIe cables instead of daisy chaining the 5700 XT; still crashed.
I'm on same boat with my msi 5700xt gaming X, crashing constantly (playing games in windows, crashes too).
Put my old msi rx570 gaming 4gb and after a week, my system workw without any crash and big sur runs perfect.
I had tried @Gordo74 "turning ON PCIE power management in the BIOS" but my gigabyte z490 Vision D hasn't the same menu (no "auto" option, only enable/disable), but still crash.
My PSU is a Corsair RM750 and use two separate PCIe cables.

I'm on same boat with my msi 5700xt gaming X, crashing constantly (playing games in windows, crashes too).
Put my old msi rx570 gaming 4gb and after a week, my system workw without any crash and big sur runs perfect.
I had tried @Gordo74 "turning ON PCIE power management in the BIOS" but my gigabyte z490 Vision D hasn't the same menu (no "auto" option, only enable/disable), but still crash.
My PSU is a Corsair RM750 and use two separate PCIe cables.
Out of curiousity, is your PSU the regular RM series or the RMx?

Does your screen flicker when you log into OS X with the 5700 XT?

Out of curiousity, is your PSU the regular RM series or the RMx?

Does your screen flicker when you log into OS X with the 5700 XT?
Regular RM series.
I own a gigabyte 2k 170hz monitor. If I use 60hz in monitor preferences, no screen flicker. At 120 hz, flicker appears.
Up to 120hz, my monitor shows black screen (needs to use screen sharing to down the frequency refresh).
Crashes maybe using zoom app, showing youtube videos or stressing the gpu with unigine heaven. Sometimes waking from sleep..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back