Contribute
Register

AMD 5700 XT crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it hasn't crashed during a Zoom call, but it just crashed watching a YouTube video.. That being said, I can go several days without a crash.. Still waiting for my RX 580 to arrive.. I think I will switch to it and then see how things pan out with the 5700. I suspect that this is an Apple issue.

Did anyone find a solution to this? I have just upgraded from the RX 580 to 5700 XT and am getting the same problem.

There was never any issues with the RX 580, just a direct swap and it seems to happen randomly.

What smbios are you using?

I changed my smbios back to iMac15,1 from iMacPro1,1 and haven't had a crash in weeks. The issue is the drivers for Navi aren't very good since there currently aren't any desktop macs with a Navi card. Using iMacPro causes the Navi card to be used for almost all rendering, the card will crash and fail to recover.

I changed my smbios back to iMac15,1 from iMacPro1,1 and haven't had a crash in weeks. The issue is the drivers for Navi aren't very good since there currently aren't any desktop macs with a Navi card. Using iMacPro causes the Navi card to be used for almost all rendering, the card will crash and fail to recover.

Thank you I will try that out!

Well you got me all excited and I switched to iMac15,1 from iMacPro1,1 and no luck for me.. Froze during a Zoom call.. Switching for me is a PITA too since I have to move a bunch of licenses I have for various software that appears to be pinned to board numbers and other hardware/software tags.. I am getting good at switching though. ;-)

I think this will be my last Hackintosh.. No intention of switching for a few more years, but I don't plan on spending any more money on this box as it is..

J

Well you got me all excited and I switched to iMac15,1 from iMacPro1,1 and no luck for me.. Froze during a Zoom call.. Switching for me is a PITA too since I have to move a bunch of licenses I have for various software that appears to be pinned to board numbers and other hardware/software tags.. I am getting good at switching though. ;-)

I think this will be my last Hackintosh.. No intention of switching for a few more years, but I don't plan on spending any more money on this box as it is..

J

Yea it is a pain for me to switch SMBIOS too because of licenses and settings. Are you able to check KP reports to make sure it is the GPU causing crashes on a Zoom call?

Yea it is a pain for me to switch SMBIOS too because of licenses and settings. Are you able to check KP reports to make sure it is the GPU causing crashes on a Zoom call?

It's all explained at the start of this thread.. As soon as I switch back to my RX 580, problems go away.. It did get better with 10.15.5.. as in it would recover. But yesterday was a flat out freeze.. Audio worked, the clients could hear me.. But my desktop was dead.. I waited a minute or two and gave up.. Not the kind of thing you want to happen while on a client call.. But that's my fault. Don't beta test your system in production...

I do think this will get fixed though.. We just have to be patient.

Switching to iMac SMBIOS didn't work for me either unfortunately. After trying in windows I was getting a similar glitchy/freeze so I'm sure its a problem with the card itself. Back to RX 580 for now.

Edit - did a bit of searching and it seems that this is a common problem for this card. One solution was to change the bios switch on the card itself to 'silent' or non OC, has anyone else tried this?

Other people suggested it was an issue with PSU not providing enough power. But my PSU is 1600W with a fairly standard set up so I think that is sufficient.

Last edited:
Had the same crashes and it looks like it is related to the fact that having two monitors connected keeps the memory frequency of the GPU at maximum speed. I increased the airflow in the case and used a power table to lower the memory max frequency to 1000. No crashed since these changes.

Had the same crashes and it looks like it is related to the fact that having two monitors connected keeps the memory frequency of the GPU at maximum speed. I increased the airflow in the case and used a power table to lower the memory max frequency to 1000. No crashed since these changes.

Do you mean lowering the memory as in XMP RAM? or changing the frequency of the GPU?

Changing the BIOS switch as mentioned on my last post didn't work for me still crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back