Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> 6900 XT not as smooth as RX 570? Driver Issue?

Ok, I am currently away from home and will look at this EFI for your X299 system later this afternoon.

Where is the rest of the EFI?

I need to check the versions and contents of some of the files in the ACPI & Kexts folders when reviewing the EFI. So providing the WHOLE EFI is required, not just the config.plist.

Where is the rest of the EFI?

I need to check the versions and contents of some of the files in the ACPI & Kexts folders when reviewing the EFI. So providing the WHOLE EFI is required, not just the config.plist.
My apologies, been a while since I been on the forum.

Attached.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 20
Having reviewed the EFI above, I would say that while there are a few minor issues in the contents of the ACPI and Kexts folder, i.e. unused kexts and SSDT's. That the folder looks OK and there is nothing present that would cause any graphics issues in the OC setup.

What make and model is your RX6900 XT, i.e. is it an XTXH card, that requires a spoofed Device ID?

I would recommend you add the DeviceProperties for the RX6900 XT to your config.plist, as shown below.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 20.49.17.png

You would need to make sure the PCI Address for your RX 6900 XT is correct when adding the device properties to your config.plist. This should be done in Hackintool > PCIe Devices tab or using IORegistryExplorer, before adding the DeviceProperties.

On a side note your USBPorts.kext is a bit of a mess. You have a number of ports disabled in the kext that don't need to be disabled. You need to remember that the Fresco Logic and ASMedia USB Ports can all be active, as they are each on a separate USB controller and none of these will exceed the 15 ports per controller limit. The only one you would need to limit to 15 ports is the Intel XHC USB controller.

You shouldn't need the ASMedia.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist, as the ASMedia 2141 USB Port controller is natively supported in macOS. Same with the Fresco Logic ports. So while defining them in the USBPorts.kext is not wrong, disabling any of these ports in the kext is most definitely wrong.

Having reviewed the EFI above, I would say that while there are a few minor issues in the contents of the ACPI and Kexts folder, i.e. unused kexts and SSDT's. That the folder looks OK and there is nothing present that would cause any graphics issues in the OC setup.

What make and model is your RX6900 XT, i.e. is it an XTXH card, that requires a spoofed Device ID?

I would recommend you add the DeviceProperties for the RX6900 XT to your config.plist, as shown below.

View attachment 566728

You would need to make sure the PCI Address for your RX 6900 XT is correct when adding the device properties to your config.plist. This should be done in Hackintool > PCIe Devices tab or using IORegistryExplorer, before adding the DeviceProperties.

On a side note your USBPorts.kext is a bit of a mess. You have a number of ports disabled in the kext that don't need to be disabled. You need to remember that the Fresco Logic and ASMedia USB Ports can all be active, as they are each on a separate USB controller and none of these will exceed the 15 ports per controller limit. The only one you would need to limit to 15 ports is the Intel XHC USB controller.

You shouldn't need the ASMedia.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist, as the ASMedia 2141 USB Port controller is natively supported in macOS. Same with the Fresco Logic ports. So while defining them in the USBPorts.kext is not wrong, disabling any of these ports in the kext is most definitely wrong.

Yeah USB mapping usually puts me in the fetal position crying - going to go through it again soon with your advice. I’m assuming unplug the Caldigit dock when I do this right?

So the card is a Saphire Nitro 6900 XT (didn’t need to spoof it)

I’m assuming I can use ProperTree to add the PCI address right?

Yes, you can use ProperTree to edit/add the RX 6900's DeviceProperties.

You can also use ProperTree to edit your USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist to enable the existing ASMedia and Fresco Logic USB Ports. Just right-click on the USBPorts.kext and select show Contents from the drop down list displayed. Then navigate to the Contents folder and open the info.plist with ProperTree. Simply remove the # from the ASMedia and Fresco Logic ports to active them.

As to the Caldigit dock, yes you would probably be best served disconnecting it when undertaking the USB port discovery phase. As long as the dock is connected to a fully working TB/USB port it shouldn't cause any issues after you revise your USBPorts.kext.

Is this your RX 6900 XT card?

If yes, how have you set the Bios switch on the card, options explained in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 21.38.11.png

Do you use the Trixx software in Windows?
Did you make any changes using the software that might effect the way the card runs, in macOS, i.e. play with the fan speed to make the card run quieter?

Yes, you can use ProperTree to edit/add the RX 6900's DeviceProperties.

You can also use ProperTree to edit your USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist to enable the existing ASMedia and Fresco Logic USB Ports. Just right-click on the USBPorts.kext and select show Contents from the drop down list displayed. Then navigate to the Contents folder and open the info.plist with ProperTree. Simply remove the # from the ASMedia and Fresco Logic ports to active them.

As to the Caldigit dock, yes you would probably be best served disconnecting it when undertaking the USB port discovery phase. As long as the dock is connected to a fully working TB/USB port it shouldn't cause any issues after you revise your USBPorts.kext.

Is this your RX 6900 XT card?

If yes, how have you set the Bios switch on the card, options explained in the screenshot below.

View attachment 566729

Do you use the Trixx software in Windows?
Did you make any changes using the software that might effect the way the card runs, in macOS, i.e. play with the fan speed to make the card run quieter?

So here's my card (Toxic Air Cooled Variant):

The BIOS switch is set to 1 (Primary Setting as per the manual- so default, which is called Primary Setting, doesn't state whether or not that's boosted) ::EDIT:: - there's an updated pic on the site of the switch vs what came with the card. Position 1 (its default) is Performance mode. Now I wonder if switching it to Position 2 would solve this - want to try the config.plist stuff first before I mess with the switch.

Regarding Windows, this card has actually never ever touched Windows :lol: - I installed it, it booted up without issue (except this weird issue I mentioned in the thread- which doesn't stop me from getting 99% of my stuff done) so I never messed with it. Also never did any other tweaks for things like fan speed.

So looking at this screenshot, I'm a little confused.

Is the ATY,EFIVersion always 1000127? If not, where do I find the value for mine?

Same question for 'name' which in the screenshot is 0A00CA00 0000.

I'm assuming I just rename the model to 'AMD Radeon 6900 XT' under model correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 20.49.17.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 20.49.17.png
    60 KB · Views: 12
You can cut the DeviceProperties down to those shown below, if you prefer.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 19.14.19.png

You can cut the DeviceProperties down to those shown below, if you prefer.

View attachment 566765
So I did it, same issue exists. Next up, shutting down and switching the BIOS switch to mode 2, which is silent mode? Hopefully that’s actually a downclock of the card to see if that helps.

Back