Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> 6900 XT not as smooth as RX 570? Driver Issue?

It's great to hear that you have much more stable system. For that issue maybe you should re-check thunderbolt configuration or USB Mapping. For USBMapping you can use USBToolBox from windows.

It's great to hear that you have much more stable system. For that issue maybe you should re-check thunderbolt configuration or USB Mapping. For USBMapping you can use USBToolBox from windows.
So the USB mapping on the Caldigit is perfect so I don’t want to touch that now lol.

Also, I don’t have Windows on this machine at all. Every time I tried to do Windows I had issues and I haven’t truly needed it to be honest.

Why would changing the serial number, SMBIOS and UUID make such a difference though? I understand for things like video issues and codec stuff, but USB mapping and random MacOS features suddenly working? It’s weird.

Check to see which SMBIOS is used/named in the USBMap.kext. It might be that you were using the wrong one previously and are now using the correct SMBIOS.

@Edhawk just wondering if my post wasn’t approved yet, or if it was removed? It was much easier for me to show this on video than posting it as text.

Your post containing the You Tube video has been moved to a non-public space, as it is against site rules to post links to videos etc hosted on ’File Sharing’ sites. It hasn’t been temporarily moved waiting for moderation, it has been permanently removed.

Just reviving this thread to let everyone know, that graphic issue I was having is completely resolved running Sonoma. It seems Apple updated the GPU driver and hilariously, after a full week of pushing the machine really hard, it’s been about 20-30% faster on average for heavy GPU workloads :headbang:

I haven't given up on fixing the stutters, it's been 2 and a half years since I built the PC and over a year since I created this thread.
I dilly dallyed for long enough, now I'm really honing in on it. I put in a request for a CPU RMA a few days ago, around the same time you commented.

I actually missed a lot of these comments - went through and read the new ones and the rest of the thread as well.
It was nice to see it happened on Windows too...
Earlier today I had thought to remove OpenCore from the equation and booted Windows via the Windows bootloader, and it didn't happen in the 4-5 hours I used it, when it normally would have.

I don't think anything from OpenCore should even apply on Windows, so it wouldn't make sense that it's something in OpenCore affecting Windows.

I've also been trying different clocking, or really, disabling and enabling the Intel limits in BIOS. It just did it either way, I booted Mac and it did it within 10 minutes, after not doing it for a while on Windows. It's the worst when typing cause the screen will freeze then everything catches up.

I'm honestly excited about a DDR5 build with a Gen5 SSD, but whether I do or don't - this problem should be fixed. Plus, I won't really notice a difference in the work I do. Hell, it barely feels much different than my 4690K, I do more graphic design / office work like Photoshop, Illustrator, emails, documents, some coding / SSH work, etc.

I'm going to go to MacPro7,1 on my side Sonoma install and report back. If it still continues, I'll request one of you wonderful people to take a look at the EFI. Fingers crossed

To reiterate, as I've mentioned before, this has happened across Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Windows, Ubuntu, all on different drives, different RAM Sticks, different PSUs, different GPUs, seems everything except CPU and motherboard.
And now thinking about it, if it happened on Ubuntu I'd imagine that rules out OpenCore cause I definitely ran Ubuntu through it's own bootloader, while Windows could be run through OpenCore or its own.

Going to try MacPro7,1 and report back. Fingers crossed!!

I also had a weird story with my 6900XT Sapphire TOXIC water cooled (bios was 0x73bf out of the box).
Card works well without any spoofing, but it freezes the whole system (Ventura and Sonoma) if you try to encode mp4 h264 in FCPX or Compressor without boot argument -radcodec

Now i have agdpmod=pikera -radcodec and everything works well (Sonoma 14.1.2) except HEVC encode from FCPX and Compressor (8 and 10 bits). VideoProc says, everything is supported
1702410535269.png

Last edited:
I also had a weird story with my 6900XT Sapphire TOXIC water cooled (bios was 0x73bf out of the box).
Card works well without any spoofing, but it freezes the whole system (Ventura and Sonoma) if you try to encode mp4 h264 in FCPX or Compressor without boot argument -radcodec

Now i have agdpmod=pikera -radcodec and everything works well (Sonoma 14.1.2) except HEVC encode from FCPX and Compressor (8 and 10 bits). VideoProc says, everything is supported
I can give that a shot! I got a 6600 XT and still seeing the same issue. It's been across GPUs for me. I'm working on the CPU RMA, and if for whatever reason that doesn't solve it, the only thing left is the board

I've tried a bunch of fixes like disabling C states and etc etc, but nothing worked. I've done different PSUs, boot drives, RAM, GPUs, from my count, everything but CPU and MoBo. Talk about crazy :shifty:

I can give that a shot! I got a 6600 XT and still seeing the same issue. It's been across GPUs for me. I'm working on the CPU RMA, and if for whatever reason that doesn't solve it, the only thing left is the board

I've tried a bunch of fixes like disabling C states and etc etc, but nothing worked. I've done different PSUs, boot drives, RAM, GPUs, from my count, everything but CPU and MoBo. Talk about crazy :shifty:
Do you mean HEVC encoding is not possible to be fixed? Why do think that anything besides GPU can be involved?

Back