Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> 6900 XT not as smooth as RX 570? Driver Issue?

I believe both of those SMBIOSes have an iGPU which my machine doesn’t have. So I’m stuck with either iMacPro 1,1 (what I’m currently on) or MacPro 7,1

On the latest Ventura as well.
Just changed SMBIOS to MacPro7,1 and disabled iGPU from bios, with agdpmod=ignore everything seems okay but I firmly believe that RDNA2 drivers are buggy on macOS maybe these drivers were just built for W series GPU's. With my monitor sometimes after login I get black screen, or when I toggle HDR on display settings I get black screen too sometimes. RX 500 series were the best stable aftermarket GPU's for mac. I have RX 570 too for my weaker build it's perfect I can say.

Just changed SMBIOS to MacPro7,1 and disabled iGPU from bios, with agdpmod=ignore everything seems okay but I firmly believe that RDNA2 drivers are buggy on macOS maybe these drivers were just built for W series GPU's. With my monitor sometimes after login I get black screen, or when I toggle HDR on display settings I get black screen too sometimes. RX 500 series were the best stable aftermarket GPU's for mac. I have RX 570 too for my weaker build it's perfect I can say.

So if I attempt MacPro7,1 do I need to generate a new serial number? May attempt this tonight.

I would say yes you need to generate a new SMBIOS, including a new Serial Number if you move your system to a MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

I would also recommend signing out of any Apple Services - Messages, iCloud, App Store, Music etc. while using your iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, so there are no clashes when you boot the system with the new SMBIOS.

I would say yes you need to generate a new SMBIOS, including a new Serial Number if you move your system to a MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

I would also recommend signing out of any Apple Services - Messages, iCloud, App Store, Music etc. while using your iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, so there are no clashes when you boot the system with the new SMBIOS.
So my question is, why did agdpmod=ignore cause no display under iMacPro1,1 ? And what is it about MacPro7,1 that could mitigate this?

Maybe because 'ignore' disables the AGDP patches, while 'pikera' doesn't?

Could it be the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS requires the AGDP patches to be enabled, while the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS doesn't?

Maybe because 'ignore' disables the AGDP patches, while 'pikera' doesn't?

Could it be the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS requires the AGDP patches to be enabled, while the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS doesn't?
Interesting. May look at trying this tomorrow (need my computer tonight to remote into during my DJ gig lol) - I’ll test and report back.

I couldn’t understand what the difference was, I just hope MacPro7,1 doesn’t brick anything I have that’s functioning properly.

@oguz463 what CPU/ board are you running?

Interesting. May look at trying this tomorrow (need my computer tonight to remote into during my DJ gig lol) - I’ll test and report back.

I couldn’t understand what the difference was, I just hope MacPro7,1 doesn’t brick anything I have that’s functioning properly.

@oguz463 what CPU/ board are you running?
I have i9 10850K with ASUS Z490 TUF wifi board. I really have no clue why I get the screen if I set agdpmod=ignore in the docs it says "Disables AGDP patches" and it is default. If it's the default one I should get the screen without any boot-args right? Well, I don't, and I don't know why. There are tons of things to debug and investigate.

By the way with SMBIOS MacPro7,1 without any agdpmod boot-flag I get black-screen too.

I suggest you to use MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

I have i9 10850K with ASUS Z490 TUF wifi board. I really have no clue why I get the screen if I set agdpmod=ignore in the docs it says "Disables AGDP patches" and it is default. If it's the default one I should get the screen without any boot-args right? Well, I don't, and I don't know why. There are tons of things to debug and investigate.

By the way with SMBIOS MacPro7,1 without any agdpmod boot-flag I get black-screen too.

I suggest you to use MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

Ok, so I did this tonight finally.

Couple of very interesting observations. First off, replacing pikera with ignore worked so that was great.

The glitch issuse in Final Cut is way better - but it still does it. HOWEVER, by sheer accident, I accidentally unplugged my Thunderbolt cable to my Caldigit dock - and in the middle of a Final Cut project that was glitching, it went back to normal.

So I tried to replicate the issue and now I can't get it to glitch out. I'm sure it'll happen again, but I want to isolate if it's the Caldigit dock, or my Apollo X4 causing this.

Here's some other interesting stuff.

My Caldigit dock had this horrible USB musical chairs issue. I'd reboot. and only half of the ports would work, but which half you ask? Who knows, because upon rebooting, they would switch. The operative work here being 'had'. All the ports are working suddenly since I did this, and even funnier, I rebooted about 15 times as a sanity check. Hotplug still works, all the ports work when the dock is fully populated. I'm floored. Tagging @CaseySJ here because about a year ago we were trying to solve the Thunderbolt thing in another thread. (TLDR for Casey, installed Ventura and no change, had a weird FCPX glitch issue I was troubleshooting since Monterey and changed my SMBIOS to MacPro7,1 from iMacPro1,1 and changed agdpmod=pikera to agdpmod=ignore as it was suggested above for some codec issues).

Continuity camera and the desk view never activated properly on my Hack, so I just left it be. Now it suddenly works.

The whole system feels more stable. I only changed the serial # & UUID after signing out of iCloud. So what changed? Hopefully nothing broke in this endeavour, I'm so perplexed lol

Last edited:
Back