Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> 6900 XT not as smooth as RX 570? Driver Issue?

I would look to RMA the card if it is still an option, as it sounds like you have a defective card.
But I couldn't exactly confirm that cause it's all good on Windows & Linux.
I don't know that the slight coil whine is enough for an RMA, though I'd love to.
The card shouldn't be playing up like that. The first issue I'd work on would be try to upgrade it to Monterey 12.5 as we previously posted back in March version 12.3 was reported to have problems with the card. There's a whole thread dedicated to this issue:

> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ems-for-5700-6800-6900-graphics-cards.319421/

The fix for it was mentioned in this post > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...00-graphics-cards.319421/page-10#post-2312828
Aside from that, the 6900 XT requires the use of agdpmod=pikera and see if enabling Above 4G Decoding and Resizeable Bar in BIOS helps. (Resizeable Bar is the PC equivalent of AMD's Smart Access Memory, which allows the cpu better access to the overall total available graphics memory, so textures and so on loads up much quicker). If you have set any existing boot-args for the RX570 they will need to be removed from the config.plist otherwise it can cause KP conflicts.

As a precaution I would also double check if there's enough power going to your GPU from your PSU. On my Ryzen 5900X B550 Vision D system, I found I had to use a 750W PSU to provide enough power to run my 16GB RX6800 card plus associated peripherals.
I was on 12.1 and I remember hearing it was patched on 12.3.1 which is the only reason I updated it then.
It also was happening on 11.6 I believe. I did update to 12.5.1 last night and I'm eager to use it today.

I believe I have the pikera but no above 4g decoding, I'll try that. I remember hearing to turn the pcie from auto to 3.0, I tried that as well.

Power might be a thing.. As I've got 2x NVMes, 1x HDD, and a bunch of rgb stuff with an 11700k. It fit by the power supply calculator but it does sound low and could be an issue. I have a 650w right now lol

The 12.5.1 looked promising last night, no freeze in the 10 minutes or so I used it. Will use it today and chime back in

Okay guys, it's been confirmed. It did the intermittent freezing on Windows too.
It's a bad card.

Now the unfortunate part is, I paid $1509 on StockX and I'm hearing AMD may not honor that warranty..though I bought it new from someone who bought it from the AMD website. And I paid double since AMD just announced all AIB 6900 XTs should be 699 MSRP. Bummer. It's totally bad practice to not only deliver a faulty part initially, DOA, but then also find ways to skirt the warranty.

Anywho, I suppose I can buy a 580 or 6600 XT for the time being, lest anyone has any other recommendations or possible solutions.

P.S., FWIW, I've had EXTREMELY bad experiences with AMD recently. I've went thru 3 5700 XTs (not RMA, actually bought and sold) which all were unable to support 3 monitors due to some bug. I had a 6600 XT with a crackle over HDMI audio. Literally would work fine when it was "running" but if it was idling, those things would happen. Now this 6900 XT same thing, if it's churning it won't freeze but when idling it will do the intermittent freezing. Hence I didn't really see it while gaming on Windows.

So that's 5 AMD cards that just don't play well! F*ck! How are they planning on challenging Nvidia with this kind of work?!

Before buying anything new, just try your luck with contacting AMD. Just because you bought it second hand doesn’t mean there’s no warranty.

holy ****!!! I finally solved all the issues I was facing with that card!
a PSU swap solved the coil wine, about 80% less and now an unnoticeable reasonable level
and Lulu was the cause of the stuttering!!! I've disabled lulu and now no more stuttering!

I must have seen it on windows too so I ruled out it being something with this install, but that was probably more related to that game's optimization or the PSU!
Lulu was causing the stutters!!!!!

Thank you all for your time and kind attention to this issue - particularly @Edhawk and @10tacle!
So pleased to announce that this is no longer plaguing my computer and the GPU is now running well! :thumbup::clap:

That’s great to hear!

However, I always thought that Lilu is one of the few absolutely mandatory kexts for Hackintoshing. Am I misinformed?

Yes, Lilu.kext is an essential kext, along with VirtualSMC.kext. OpenCore won't work without these two kexts.

However, if @TripleYoThreat was using LuLu Firewall, https://objective-see.org/products/lulu.html then it is OK to remove this third-party firewall, with no impact on the Hackintosh setup.

Yes, referring to Lulu, the third party firewall. I'll confirm today to make sure I didn't count my eggs before they hatch, but, I ran it for a while yesterday with some strenuous stuff too that almost always caused stutters and there wasn't a hint of any.

It ran almost as smooth as the clean Ventura install, I'd say 90% as smooth, which is actually fantastic considering how many menu bar items, apps, and other stuff it has on it!

@Edhawk, did you delete the other thread I made? I've spoke too soon, it's still there and I could really use some pointers on what to try to disable or uninstall. If we can bring that back or if I could at least access the body to copy paste it that would be great

I've tried without Lulu and Bettertouchtool, which are two things I noticed that could interfere graphically - it's less frequent but, just happened 3 times today.

E: if anything, archive this thread and not the other cause the other one addresses this issue directly and it's the most recent, it runs through everything I've tried, different RAM, different PSU, etc.
but also just getting me that body would help so I can post it elsewhere as well ~ try and get some pointers.

Last edited:
I haven’t archived any of your threads or posts. The site admins only set a thread as closed after it has not been active for a year, i.e. since last post. But it can still be read as a reference point, they are not physically removed.

The only reason a whole thread would be removed would be when the subject matter breached the site rules, i.e.mentioned or linked to another site that used methods that were deemed to be piracy based.

I will have a look later today and see if any of your posts/threads have been removed from the public forums to the ‘Graveyard’.

Merry Christmas.

I haven’t archived any of your threads or posts. The site admins only set a thread as closed after it has not been active for a year, i.e. since last post. But it can still be read as a reference point, they are not physically removed.

The only reason a whole thread would be removed would be when the subject matter breached the site rules, i.e.mentioned or linked to another site that used methods that were deemed to be piracy based.

I will have a look later today and see if any of your posts/threads have been removed from the public forums to the ‘Graveyard’.

Merry Christmas.
Hey Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

This is the thread I had posted, but it has disappeared. I don't believe I broke any site rules.

It stuttered even with a Vega 56 I used. It seems this problem is something else. CPU or somewhere else...
I've seen it happen on different RAM sticks, different power supplies, different boot drives. The only thing common in all those would be the board & CPU. So fed up. Got a $5k machine that stutters all the time.

Apparently there's a large community behind this, a lot of people have stutters with this card, and there's even some PPT changes to fix it, but it seems the new drivers don't read that and I couldn't apply a BIOS swap because they say the newer cards use BIOS authentication checking and won't boot without it. I could try it I suppose..but again, why would this stutter on the Vega 56 too? That's where everything went super confusing to me. When that stuttered there, my jaw dropped and nothing made sense anymore lol.

Back