Contribute
Register

5700XT with no graphics acceleration

Could it be that my bios is not working properly?
what makes you think there is an issue with your bios?

your image shows you are using your RX 5700

what makes you think there is an issue with your bios?

your image shows you are using your RX 5700
I can’t understand why I have to wait almost 45 minutes to render a h254 (YouTube 720p video) that has a total length of 60minutes. Or when I use Lightroom, that I have to wait a while to process Photos import (the process of generating miniatures and other stuff). Also I sometimes just shorten some videos in Quicktime and the timings are longer than my 2013 MacBook Pro with no dedicated graphics card.

I can't understand why the graphics performance is this bad in this desktop setup (I'm using a fast SSD and have enough RAM). Also whenever I go to Activity monitor of the system and see tasks that require a high load of the GPU I get a 600% of CPU use and 0% GPU use.

I really don't know where to look at now with this graphics card. I can see a lot of people get to make them work properly, but I can't...

Your Z270 motherboard contains the following Ethernet controllers/ports.
  1. 1 x Intel GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)(LAN1)
  2. 1 x Killer E2500 LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) (LAN2)
So you need to be including the following kexts in your OC setup, for both Ethernet ports to work in macOS.

IntelMausi.kext - for Intel Ethernet - https://github.com/acidanthera/IntelMausi
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext - for Killer Ethernet - https://github.com/Mieze/AtherosE2200Ethernet

Your Z270 motherboard contains the following Ethernet controllers/ports.
  1. 1 x Intel GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)(LAN1)
  2. 1 x Killer E2500 LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) (LAN2)
So you need to be including the following kexts in your OC setup, for both Ethernet ports to work in macOS.

IntelMausi.kext - for Intel Ethernet - https://github.com/acidanthera/IntelMausi
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext - for Killer Ethernet - https://github.com/Mieze/AtherosE2200Ethernet
So the one I could delete is RealtekRTL8111.kext, right?

If your GPU can be assumed working now, and you would like to pursue the Network angle of your build, please start another thread in the Post Install/Network forum or these posts may be deleted etc. Thanks.

Yes, if you have included the Realtek Ethernet kext in your OC setup.

You should also remove the Generic SATA kext mentioned multiple times by @Feartech, as your Kaby Lake system doesn’t need this kext for the SATA controller to be recognised in macOS.

Just remember you need to delete the kexts from the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and the entry for the kext in the config.plist. If you don’t remove both your system may kernel panic.

If your GPU can be assumed working now, and you would like to pursue the Network angle of your build, please start another thread in the Post Install/Network forum or these posts may be deleted etc. Thanks.
Hi!

You're right, I'll start another thread for the Ethernet kexts, but my GPU is still experiencing problems....

Here is a copy of the EFI I created for my Z270 system (iMac 2 in my signature) based on OpenCore 0.9.4.
  1. I have amended it for your RX 5700XT dGPU, instead of my Vega 56, i.e. added the agdpmod=pikera boot arg.
  2. It uses an Empty/Headless Framebuffer for the KBL HD630 IGPU, as expected when running Ventura or older versions of macOS.
  3. I have removed my USBPorts.kext as you will need to create & add your own.
Testing/Booting:
If you want to try this revised EFI:
  • Add your Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID to the config.plist.
  • Change the name of the EFI-KBL folder to EFI.
  • Don't make any other changes to the setup.
Enable your IGPU in the BIOS, but make sure you have the PCIE/PEGP/External GPU set as the primary graphics card. You may need to boot in to the BIOS twice, to check that the correct graphics settings are in place.

Copy the revised EFI folder to the EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive and boot from the pen drive to test the EFI.

Don't replace your current EFI until you are sure the revised EFI works and boots without any issues.

You will need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi option before you boot in to macOS with this revised OC setup.
  • Simply boot from the USB pen drive, press the Spacebar when you arrive on the OC boot screen (GUI),
    • This will unhide the tools and drivers contained in your OC setup.
  • Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi and the system should automatically reboot.
  • Select your USB pen drive from the system Boot Menu again, and
    • This time boot in to macOS Ventura using the revised EFI.
Try this EFI and see if it helps with your dGPU issues.

Attachments

• EFI-KBL.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 29
Back