Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I've been browsing the forums for a while now and while I've figured out a lot there are a few things I can't decide on about my proposed build. This build will be used for video editing in Adobe Premiere (eventually 4k video) as well as motion graphics in After Effects and some 3d in Cinema4d.

I've figured out I definitely want an Nvidia GTX 970, and might as well get the super-clocked edition. Anyone have any input as to whether EVGA is > Gigabyte or visa versa? I also want to go with 2 4k 28in monitors - I'm 99% certain I'll never need/want 3. Probably going with a single ASUS PB287Q to start for $580 unless anyone has better suggestions - haven't really looked into monitor too much yet. Probably going to get another eventually but holy FFFFFFFFFFFF this is getting expensive. Will a single GTX 970 keep up with 2 28 in 4k displays at 60hz? Also haven't noticed a general consensus over air vs water cooled?

What I'm still on the fence about is whether to go with either an x99 socket 2011 motherboard or an 1155. Not sure if, for my needs, I'll only need:

LGA 1155 mobo: 32GB of DDR3 RAM & 4 core i7 4790k,

OR if it's better to future proof and go with:

An LGA 2011 mobo (2.5x price) with a 6 core i7 5820k CPU (only $50 more). Heard moar cores is better for Adobe programs. And if I go with this to get either:

mobo w/ 4 DDR4 dimms for a full 32GB (ram 1.5x price, but 1.3x speed) or 8 dimms ddr3 for 64GB.

It's probably better to go the extra mile and get the most recent hardware but everything gets outdated eventually and I was looking for some input of someone more experienced. Let me know any and all thoughts as I haven't seen all that many threads of this kind.

youre planning on getting 3 4k screens, a machine that can work with it accordingly and youre seriously noticing just now how expensive that'll get?

in my opinion youre entering a territory where money should be no object and probably a original Mac Pro will fit your needs best. I mean with that kinda money to spend I would definitely go the extra mile and get official support from Apple and Hardware that was specifically built for the job. Since it will also be a workstation you need for your job.

The 970 should be enough for 2 4k screens and probably will be ok with 3 as well, but id definitely rather go for the 980 just to be sure.

Water cooling will give you the highest possible overclocks but it does come with some work, risk and maintanence included. id always go for a premium air cooler like the ones from noctua.

i would like to join the thread and want to know how well the 900 series from nvidia is supported by premiere and final cut pro x. any experience or input on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back