Contribute
Register

4540S Webcam and Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This does not make sense and I've been working on it since my last post. I can't boot into OS X no matter what boot flags I used. I tried using the same USB installer that successfully booted and installed Mavericks, and it didn't work! It's stuck at "Still waiting for root device". I used the exact same flags that had worked earlier: -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0 IGPlatform=01660003 IGPEnabler=Yes

I did not meddle with any BIOS configuration.

Argh! I can't boot into Mavericks and I can't reinstall!

Attachments

• IMAG3610.jpg
    IMAG3610.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 163
It's "Still waiting for root device", plug your usb into a USB 2.0 port and try again.

It's "Still waiting for root device", plug your usb into a USB 2.0 port and try again.
Thanks! I have forgotten all about the need to boot from USB 2.0! It works now!!!

Reinstalled successfully, did the steps indicated in the guide, and I'm just before the step to update to 10.9.2. I checked System Information and no cameras are detected. By the way, there are no extension conflicts at the start.

I am going to update to 10.9.2 now, then install "OS X Support Kexts", then boot with -f, remove /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext, finally rebuild kext cache. Reboot and gonna try to look for the camera again.

Installed 10.9.2, rebooted but got a kernel panic, fixed it by deleting the offending ACPI kext, ran Installer and installed "OS X Support Kexts", tried to delete /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext but it wasn't there, rebuilt kext cache, then rebooted.

Still no web cam detected. :(

cci[RR]us;780819 said:
Installed 10.9.2, rebooted but got a kernel panic, fixed it by deleting the offending ACPI kext, ran Installer and installed "OS X Support Kexts", tried to delete /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext but it wasn't there, rebuilt kext cache, then rebooted.

Still no web cam detected. :(

You just did mistake, please read Rehabman's guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112380-guide-installing-mavericks-hp-probook.html

10.9.x to 10.9.2

1. Install the 10.9.2 combo update from either Software Update or from the package installer here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1726

2. After the update, the computer will restart (and finish installing the update).

3. You will need to boot using your Unibeast USB (eg. F9 at BIOS). Use "-f" to boot the installation on your HDD.

4. After reaching the desktop, run the latest ProBook Installer and select only "OS X Support Kexts" appropriate for your computer.

5. Click continue to install your ProBook Installer choices, allow it to complete.

6. If you have a 7-series chipset in your ProBook (eg. 4540s and other models), remove /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Note: this assumes you patched your DSDT with the "Intel USB 3.0 patch", which is the recommended configuration for 7-series ProBooks. After removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext, you should rebuild cache (Kext Wizard).

6. Restart your computer.

About your webcam, try running CameraControl, iGlass, CamTwist may help.

I followed the same guide. Here are the exact steps:

10.9.x to 10.9.2

1. Install the 10.9.2 combo update from either Software Update or from the package installer here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1726

2. After the update, the computer will restart (and finish installing the update).

3. You will need to boot using your Unibeast USB (eg. F9 at BIOS). Use "-f" to boot the installation on your HDD.

4. After reaching the desktop, run the latest ProBook Installer and select only "OS X Support Kexts" appropriate for your computer.

5. Click continue to install your ProBook Installer choices, allow it to complete.

*** 6. If you have a 7-series chipset in your ProBook (eg. *4540s* and other models), *remove* /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Note: this assumes you patched your DSDT with the "Intel USB 3.0 patch", which is the recommended configuration for 7-series ProBooks. After *removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext*, you should rebuild cache (Kext Wizard). ***

6. Restart your computer.

What did I do wrong?

After working on the webcam issue for so long, I discovered that my 4540S does not have a webcam. :( If you see the photo, you see that the webcam part is covered. *face palm* At night, the cover looks like the webcam lens. I'm very sorry for leading you guys on a wild-goose chase. :)

Attachments

• IMAG3612.jpg
    IMAG3612.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 134
My BCM4322 (BCM943224HMS) arrived. I installed the BCM4322x patch via the Installer, shutdown, installed the half-mini card, boot up, and it is detected by Mavericks. However, I can't turn it on. :( Please refer to my screenshot (MAC address is covered).

ifconfig shows en1 as "inactive" and "sudo ifconfig en1 up" doesn't help.

There are only 3 lines about AirPort or WiFi in dmesg:
Code:
AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).
AirPort_Brcm4360_P2PInterface::init name <p2p0> role 1
AirPort_Brcm4360_P2PInterface::init() <p2p> role 1

Any ideas? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 2.07.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-14 at 2.07.50 PM.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 136
cci[RR]us;781135 said:
My BCM4322 (BCM943224HMS) arrived. I installed the BCM4322x patch via the Installer, shutdown, installed the half-mini card, boot up, and it is detected by Mavericks. However, I can't turn it on. :( Please refer to my screenshot (MAC address is covered).

ifconfig shows en1 as "inactive" and "sudo ifconfig en1 up" doesn't help.

There are only 3 lines about AirPort or WiFi in dmesg:
Code:
AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).
AirPort_Brcm4360_P2PInterface::init name <p2p0> role 1
AirPort_Brcm4360_P2PInterface::init() <p2p> role 1

Any ideas? Thank you!
4322 or 43224? Don't use dsdt patch, it is no longer necessary anymore (and may even give you problems). Re patch your dsdt without BCM4322x, and check if wifi work in other OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back