Contribute
Register

4530s wit 10.9.2 takes 2 minutes to boot. How can I improve it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let people know because I guess it might be interesting for some users in a similar situation:

My computer is a 4530s Core i3 2310M and 4GB ram.

*Before (with normal HD he same hard drive I have since I bought my Probook 4530s):
-OS X 10.9.2 installed with the clover guide of this forum. As I mentioned in my first post the boot time was around 2 minutes.

*After (with 120GB Samsung SSD 840):
OS X 10.9.3 installed with following the clover guide of this forum.
-Without any software installed the boot time was around 40 seconds.
-With Chrome, Skype, VLC, Office 2011, Adobe Creative Suite and 0 login items (checked from system preferences) my boot time was 45 seconds
-I restored the Mail folder (which is 15GB) and my boot time now is 1:05minutes.

So we could say that my boot time was decreased from 2 minutes to 1 minute and OS X definetely is more responsive with the SSD.

I still don't why I never could get the system to boot in 30 seconds even when I still didn't install any software, but I guess it might be because my BIOS hasn´t been upgraded since 2 years or so.

Just to let people know because I guess it might be interesting for some users in a similar situation:

My computer is a 4530s Core i3 2310M and 4GB ram.

*Before (with normal HD he same hard drive I have since I bought my Probook 4530s):
-OS X 10.9.2 installed with the clover guide of this forum. As I mentioned in my first post the boot time was around 2 minutes.

*After (with 120GB Samsung SSD 840):
OS X 10.9.3 installed with following the clover guide of this forum.
-Without any software installed the boot time was around 40 seconds.
-With Chrome, Skype, VLC, Office 2011, Adobe Creative Suite and 0 login items (checked from system preferences) my boot time was 45 seconds
-I restored the Mail folder (which is 15GB) and my boot time now is 1:05minutes.

So we could say that my boot time was decreased from 2 minutes to 1 minute and OS X definetely is more responsive with the SSD.

I still don't why I never could get the system to boot in 30 seconds even when I still didn't install any software, but I guess it might be because my BIOS hasn´t been upgraded since 2 years or so.

Boot times should be measured from the bootloader to the login screen. Measuring all the other things after login is too much dependent on what you have installed and loading on startup.

My 4530s boots in about 12 seconds from Clover to the login screen...

Boot times should be measured from the bootloader to the login screen. Measuring all the other things after login is too much dependent on what you have installed and loading on startup.

Yes. When I talk about my boot times I'm referring to the time between I press enter in Clover till I see the OS X desktop.

As I said with absolutely 0 software installed the boot time (from Clover to desktop) and 0 items loading at startup was 40 seconds.
how could you get so much better boot time (with 4530s, 4Gb ram and Core i3 2310mb? )?
I even checked in about mac that Tim is enabled (I didn't need to use trim enabler app).
Could it be just because I have an old bios? Or because after doing the installation following clover installation guide I should have patched me dsdt manually or something ?

Any help to get it to boot in at least 30 seconds (clean install with 0 software) would be highly appreciated.

Nice boot time . Mine would need about 30 seconds but i'm not using a solid state

Nice boot time . Mine would need about 30 seconds but i'm not using a solid state

I got 30s with WD Black 7200rpm, and now 10s with ssd.

Ok. So apart from mentioning how good boot times with ssd you guys have xD
Can anyone help me to improve mine? I guess after fresh installation I should have been able to boot in at least 30 seconds (and that still would be bad compared with you guys)

Can anyone help me to improve mine? I guess after fresh installation I should have been able to boot in at least 30 seconds (and that still would be bad compared with you guys)

Boot in verbose mode -v and see where it stalls , takes a long time to continue

Do a fresh install, then provide details at that point... Avoid adding a bunch of stuff to your install until you have your boot performance issue resolved.

Mines about 9 seconds, but also bare in mind that RM has an i7 in his probook, mines an i5 as is NGs, that is bound to cause there to be a difference in boot time, mines also an elite book, so slightly different hardware elsewhere.....

Previous to having an SSD my boot time was about 40 seconds, I don't think RAM upgrade has made much or any difference, certainly nothing noticeable.

So my boot time has improved by 31 seconds, or 77.5%, perhaps looking at your results as a percentage or time improvement rather than comparing with those who have different hardware would be better?

You also mention an old bios, what revision? perhaps update that prior to reinstalling, see if that makes any difference too.

Mines about 9 seconds, but also bare in mind that RM has an i7 in his probook, mines an i5 as is NGs, that is bound to cause there to be a difference in boot time, mines also an elite book, so slightly different hardware elsewhere.....

My 4530s has an i3-2310m. Lowest of the low end. I have transitioned to my 4540s (Ivy i5) and it boots faster yet (I haven't timed it yet, but noticeably faster). But boot speed can depend on many factors. Both machines have top-rated SSDs (Crucial M4 in one, and Samsung EVO in the other). Both have no DVD installed, and no secondary HDD/SSD installed (having an active secondary SATA device can slow things down). And generally no devices other than a USB mouse plugged in. Both are using Clover which boots OS X a bit faster than Chameleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back