Contribute
Register

4530s wit 10.9.2 takes 2 minutes to boot. How can I improve it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s
CPU
Intel Core I3
Graphics
Intel HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

My setup:
-Probook 4530s
-iCore i3 (the most basic one)
-4GB ram
-Intel 3000HD
-320gb HD (non SSD, is the one that came with the computer)
-OS X 10.9.2 installed 1 week ago with Clover Bootloader following the guide of nguyenmac.

The problem:
OS X takes 2 minutes to boot and once it shows the desktop, once it shows the mouse cursor it takes around 5 seconds till I actually can move the cursor and around 10 seconds more till it really open something (finder, safari or whatever).

Why I think it can be improved:
I remember back in the day my boot time with Lion was around 30-40 seconds so I don't know if Mavericks is too much for my 4530s and I should downgrade to Lion or if there is something I can do to improve my performance with Mavericks.

As I know there is plenty of people with 4530s, could anyone let me know if that long boot time is normal with Mavericks or if there is anything that can be done to improve it?

Thanks a lot in advance

Hi,

My setup:
-Probook 4530s
-iCore i3 (the most basic one)
-4GB ram
-Intel 3000HD
-320gb HD (non SSD, is the one that came with the computer)
-OS X 10.9.2 installed 1 week ago with Clover Bootloader following the guide of nguyenmac.

The problem:
OS X takes 2 minutes to boot and once it shows the desktop, once it shows the mouse cursor it takes around 5 seconds till I actually can move the cursor and around 10 seconds more till it really open something (finder, safari or whatever).

Why I think it can be improved:
I remember back in the day my boot time with Lion was around 30-40 seconds so I don't know if Mavericks is too much for my 4530s and I should downgrade to Lion or if there is something I can do to improve my performance with Mavericks.

As I know there is plenty of people with 4530s, could anyone let me know if that long boot time is normal with Mavericks or if there is anything that can be done to improve it?

Thanks a lot in advance

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

Sorry but although I don't consider myself a noob when it comes to computers software and hardware (I'm not an expert neither) I'm a bit lost when it comes to hacking OS X.

So I would appreciate if you can give a little bit more info instead of just a link, so I can understand more why I have to do a copy of ioreg....
Why should I make a copy of ioreg? Why is that suppose to help me to improve my boot time?

Or at least if any 4530s user with 10.9.2 can comment what's their boot time and if they did something to improve it after installation then I can try to investigate by myself why my boot time is so horrendous.

IOReg contains many information about your OS X. We need it to check if you set up your system correctly.

Sorry but although I don't consider myself a noob when it comes to computers software and hardware (I'm not an expert neither) I'm a bit lost when it comes to hacking OS X.

So I would appreciate if you can give a little bit more info instead of just a link, so I can understand more why I have to do a copy of ioreg....
Why should I make a copy of ioreg? Why is that suppose to help me to improve my boot time?

Or at least if any 4530s user with 10.9.2 can comment what's their boot time and if they did something to improve it after installation then I can try to investigate by myself why my boot time is so horrendous.

Need to check to see if you setup your computer correctly.

Thanks.

Please find my IOReg attached

Attachments

• titooo_IOReg.ioreg
    4 MB · Views: 139
Thanks.

Please find my IOReg attached

Looks fairly normal...

You might look at system.log to see if there are any parts in the boot which are taking a long time (bootlog starts at BOOT_TIME).

Also, try to eliminate 3rd party software when attempting to diagnose problems such as this. Do a fresh install, if necessary. I notice you have some virtualbox stuff installed.

Finally, maybe you have just a very slow (failing?) HDD or a lot of startup tasks enabled.

Looks fairly normal...

You might look at system.log to see if there are any parts in the boot which are taking a long time (bootlog starts at BOOT_TIME).

Also, try to eliminate 3rd party software when attempting to diagnose problems such as this. Do a fresh install, if necessary. I notice you have some virtualbox stuff installed.

Finally, maybe you have just a very slow (failing?) HDD or a lot of startup tasks enabled.

Thanks. According to smartctl (Linux ) and it days that my hard drive is fine. But since I installed OS X I notice that even my Linux mint I installed after that works slower than usual....

Would an SSD really help?

Thanks

Thanks. According to smartctl (Linux ) and it days that my hard drive is fine. But since I installed OS X I notice that even my Linux mint I installed after that works slower than usual....

Would an SSD really help?

Thanks

SSDs are very fast. Whether your problem is a hardware or software problem, I'm not sure...

SSDs are very fast. Whether your problem is a hardware or software problem, I'm not sure...
Thanks once I get the SSD I will dot a clean install with 0 backups.
considering that my pro book 4530s has core i3 2310m, 4Gb ram and will have 120gb SSD.
Am I dreaming if I expect it to run OS X better than a 2008 Core 2 duo macbook pro with 4Gb ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back