Contribute
Register

$421 Simple PowerHac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Tom,

I have read in your previous posts that you use the following kext in Multibeast to get the ethernet to work: Lnux RTL something. But I have other posts from other people getting the GA H81m HD3 to work with Mavericks. They have the same Realtek chip that the GA B85m D3H motherboard has. I think it is the Realtek 8111F model. They were using this kext to get it to work: AppleRTL8169Ethernet.

Why are there two separate kext's in Multibeast for the Realtek ethernet card?

Misscomp

Dear Dr. Tom,

I was wondering if you all of your RAM slots are occupied by the exact same model and part of RAM?

Have you used the Time Machine feature of the OS X to make a backup of the OS?

You are running the latest version of the BIOS that came out recently to accommodate the new versions of Haswell CPU's?

Misscomp

The answers to your questions are:

1) Yes. All four sticks on the B85M are the same model of Kingston HyperX Black DDR3 1600. That said, I've got two different models of HyperX on my B75M (Red and Blue) and it runs fine too.

2) No. I've used Carbon Copy Cloner since my first Hackintosh.

3) Yes. The latest BIOS version for the GA-B85M-D3H is F9, and that's what I'm using. :p

Tom

Dr. Tom,

I have read in your previous posts that you use the following kext in Multibeast to get the ethernet to work: Lnux RTL something. But I have other posts from other people getting the GA H81m HD3 to work with Mavericks. They have the same Realtek chip that the GA B85m D3H motherboard has. I think it is the Realtek 8111F model. They were using this kext to get it to work: AppleRTL8169Ethernet.

Why are there two separate kext's in Multibeast for the Realtek ethernet card?

Misscomp

I do use the LNX2Mac Realtek driver included in Multibeast 6.1, and it's the only driver available in MB 6.1. Multibeast 6.2.1 does give you the option of choosing between the two kexts mentioned in your question. I think the reason for this is that some people with other Gigabyte motherboards using the same Realtek chipset were having transfer speed problems with one of the drivers so the option was given to let the user try one and if that didn't work to use the other.

Tom

Dr. Tom,

I have read other builds and it seams other people were having the same freeze problems that you mentioned and many of them updated the BIOS to the latest version and this seams to help. Some people updated many other components like the memory and cpu and power supply with mixed results.

I use Dell workstations at work in my line of work and sometimes experience random freeze as well in a windows 7 professional environment. we have use software that relies on Java and it seams that windows 7 pro drivers of a particular video card that we use are not getting along very well with Java. So a host of things can cause these random freezes.

Some people have not had these problems and attribute the freezes in Hackintosh to the memory. I did not realize the Haswell chipsets are so finicky with memory. Next time I will have to pay more attention to the memory that is recommended. I would have to build a stable system to work on software and Xcode. I am not looking for somethings too powerful (corei7). The motherboard that you have paired with an intel 4570 is more than enough for my needs.

Misscomp

Dr. Tom,

You recommended that I go straight to 10.9.3 after I install mavericks? So you are saying that I can install the original Mavericks when it came out last October then do one combo update to 10.9.3? I thought that I have to go in order to 10.9.1 to 10.9.2 then to 10.9.3.

Misscomp

Dr. Tom,

You recommended that I go straight to 10.9.3 after I install mavericks? So you are saying that I can install the original Mavericks when it came out last October then do one combo update to 10.9.3? I thought that I have to go in order to 10.9.1 to 10.9.2 then to 10.9.3.

Misscomp

As soon as 10.9.3 is released, which should be any day now, I would download the Mavericks installer from Apple (which will be 10.9.3), create the Unibeast USB drive, and install it. Then use Multibeast 6.1 (not Multibeast 6.2.1) to install drivers and such. There's no need to go in order from 10.9. to 10.9.3. :D

Tom

Hi DrTom and Guys,

I have a desktop machine with the following parts:
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
Core I5 4570
8GB(4x2GB) Hynix 1333MHz RAM
Gigabyte GTX660OC
Kingston HyperX 128GB SSD

I used a Kingston Datatraveler3.0 32GB USB3 pendrive to make bootable USB installer. By Unibeast I did not select the "laptop support" and the "legacy USB support" neither. So I checked only the Mavricks installer.
I updated my BIOS to F9. I loaded the default settings and I disabled VT-d and set the USB stick as first boot device. When I try to install the Mavricks right after the apple logo I get a Kernel panic and I haven't got any idea, what could it cause.
I removed 3 RAM modules, I set the XHCI mode to Auto. I tried with DVI and HDMI as well, but it dosen't matter what output I use.
Have you got any idea what can I check or try, or what can cause this problem.
I haven't expect a problem right in the start of the install, because I read, that a lot of you guys installed the Mavricks on similar machines as mine.

Many thanks for the help in advance.

Hi DrTom and Guys,

I have a desktop machine with the following parts:
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
Core I5 4570
8GB(4x2GB) Hynix 1333MHz RAM
Gigabyte GTX660OC
Kingston HyperX 128GB SSD

I used a Kingston Datatraveler3.0 32GB USB3 pendrive to make bootable USB installer. By Unibeast I did not select the "laptop support" and the "legacy USB support" neither. So I checked only the Mavricks installer.
I updated my BIOS to F9. I loaded the default settings and I disabled VT-d and set the USB stick as first boot device. When I try to install the Mavricks right after the apple logo I get a Kernel panic and I haven't got any idea, what could it cause.
I removed 3 RAM modules, I set the XHCI mode to Auto. I tried with DVI and HDMI as well, but it dosen't matter what output I use.
Have you got any idea what can I check or try, or what can cause this problem.
I haven't expect a problem right in the start of the install, because I read, that a lot of you guys installed the Mavricks on similar machines as mine.

Many thanks for the help in advance.

Here's what I would try. Remove your video card and try the installation with the built-in HD 4600 graphics via the DVI connector on your motherboard. When doing so make sure the BIOS is set to start IGFX first, set Internal Graphics Memory Size to 64 MB, and select MAX for DVMT total memory size. If this doesn't work then try using Safe Mode for the installation (use -X at the first bootloader screen) still using HD 4600 graphics. Once you've got a working installation then go ahead and install your video card to see if it will now work.

Tom

Dr. Tom,

ON your initial install of Mavericks how did you set your XHCI parameters? did you leave this a optimized default settings. I see different settings according to the motherboard. I am like you and do not care whether I get USB 3 to work. Just as long as things are running stable.

Misscomp

Dr. Tom,

ON your initial install of Mavericks how did you set your XHCI parameters? did you leave this a optimized default settings. I see different settings according to the motherboard. I am like you and do not care whether I get USB 3 to work. Just as long as things are running stable.

Misscomp

In the BIOS set XHCI mode to Enabled and XHCI Hand-off to Enabled and you should be fine. :p

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back