Contribute
Register

$421 Simple PowerHac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Dr. Tom,

I have a question regarding the installation of Mavericks. I have read the other installs where people say that you have to put the mouse over the usb driver logo then type in certain boot flag in the chimera screen to get into the installer. If I don't have to type in any boot flags does this mean that when I boot from the usb drive that I will get into the installer screen automatically without having to type anything?

Misscomp

Dear Dr. Tom,

I have a question regarding the installation of Mavericks. I have read the other installs where people say that you have to put the mouse over the usb driver logo then type in certain boot flag in the chimera screen to get into the installer. If I don't have to type in any boot flags does this mean that when I boot from the usb drive that I will get into the installer screen automatically without having to type anything?

Misscomp

This is almost correct. What you're going to do is to press the F12 key as the system boots, which will take you to the boot menu. Use your arrow keys to select your USB drive and then hit the enter key. This will bring you to the Unibeast bootloader screen. With your left or right arrow keys select the Unibeast USB drive and then hit the enter key. With luck the installation will now start. Should you need to type in a boot flag simply hit any key (the down arrow works fine) at the Unibeast bootloader screen and then the minus key plus the boot flag you wish to try (-x gets you to safe mode, for example) and then the enter key. The installation should then start. Follow Tony's 10.9 Installation under Guides for complete instructions. :thumbup:

Tom

Dear Dr. Tom,

I was reading on another install. The gentleman describes an error that did not allow him to access the Apple app store. When you installed Mavericks on your hardware did you get this error?

I am wondering if I have to make the same changes.

Thanks,

MIsscomp

I have never had an error accessing the Apple app store on the five hacks I've built and I don't think you will either. ;) Set your BIOS according to instructions, keep your hardware minimal during your initial installation, and then clone it as soon as you've got a working OS. At that point it's safe to install programs or add in hardware such as extra memory, a WiFi card, or a video card and if something does go wrong you'll know exactly what caused it.

In my case I use an IGPlatformID value different from the Chimera default. The default worked fine when I was using a Dell 2001FP (1600x1200) monitor but for some reason did not work properly when I switched to a 24" Dell (1920x1200) monitor. Go figure.

I would also caution you not to use Multibeast 6.2.1. Use Multibeast 6.1 instead as it avoids audio and FakeSMC problems on the GA-B85M-D3H motherboard. You can continue to use MB 6.1 even when 10.9.3 is released, though I hope that when MB 6.3 becomes available it will resolve these two issues. Let others use MB 6.3 first and only when they have confirmed that it works properly should you use it.

Tom

Dear Dr. Tom,

It sounds like I have the same Dell monitor that you have. Does this mean that if I use Multibeast 6.1 then the Chimera that comes with it will give me a IDdPlatform ID which will work with my monitor? Does that mean that I will not have to edit the Plist to get the OS to recognize my monitor correctly. I have the Dell ultrasharp that runs at 1600 x 1200.

Thanks,

Misscomp

Dear Dr. Tom,

It sounds like I have the same Dell monitor that you have. Does this mean that if I use Multibeast 6.1 then the Chimera that comes with it will give me a IDdPlatform ID which will work with my monitor? Does that mean that I will not have to edit the Plist to get the OS to recognize my monitor correctly. I have the Dell ultrasharp that runs at 1600 x 1200.

Thanks,

Misscomp

The default IGPlatformID value for Chimera 2.2.1, which is what is incorporated into Multibeast 6.1, worked just fine on my Dell 2001FP at 1600x1200. You shouldn't need to edit your org.chamleon.Boot.plist. It was my newer Dell 2408WFP running at 1920x1200 that required a different value so that its cursor didn't turn into a colorful non-spinning beach ball when awakened from sleep. Here's what the essential part of my current org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks like:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>0C260000</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Your org.chameleon.Boot.plist will likely look identical to this except that there will be no IGPlatformID key.

Tom

Dear Dr. Tom,

Intel has released a set of new processors. Do you know if you can plug in a new processor which is not supported by the BIOS and then updated the BIOS on the Gigabyte boards. I know I can do this with my Biostar motherboards suppoorting the AMD chipsets.

Misscomp

Dear Dr. Tom,

Intel has released a set of new processors. Do you know if you can plug in a new processor which is not supported by the BIOS and then updated the BIOS on the Gigabyte boards. I know I can do this with my Biostar motherboards suppoorting the AMD chipsets.

Misscomp

I don't know the answer to this question concerning Gigabyte boards, but I think that it is a risky proposition. I do know that there were a couple of times on builds with Asus motherboards that it wouldn't boot with an unknown CPU and that I had to install a known CPU, update the BIOS, and then install the new generation of CPU for it to work. So, if you want to use one of the Haswell refresh CPUs, I'd wait to purchase the motherboard until you're sure it has the updated BIOS.

Tom

Dear Dr. Tom,

I have a question about the Unibeast bootlooder screen. I was wondering when you are in the bootloader screen how long does it take to get to the installer? How long do you wait before you give up and put in a boot flag?

Misscomp

Dear Dr. Tom,

I have a question about the Unibeast bootlooder screen. I was wondering when you are in the bootloader screen how long does it take to get to the installer? How long do you wait before you give up and put in a boot flag?

Misscomp

I ran a timed test with my Unibeast USB drive and it took just under 2 minutes from the point where I pressed the enter key to the first screen of the OS X installation asking me to choose my language. I'd say that if nothing has happened in 5 minutes or so it's time to start over and try the safe mode (-X) flag.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back