Contribute
Register

$421 Simple PowerHac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Dr. Tom,

Can you give me the reasons why I would have to edit my Plist? I think one to get the OS to work correctly with the LCD monitor.

Thanks,

Misscomp

Dear Dr. Tom,

Can you give me the reasons why I would have to edit my Plist? I think one to get the OS to work correctly with the LCD monitor.

Thanks,

Misscomp

I think that it's unlikely that you'll have to edit your org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Mine is pure vanilla except for the IGPlatformID I have to use so that my monitor wakes up from sleep properly. The default value gave me a non-spinning beach ball instead of a cursor every single time and sometimes no image at all (black screen). My previous Dell monitor worked perfectly at 1600x1200 with the default value and no IGPlatformID at all.

If you install a video card in addition to the onboard graphics you may need to edit the GraphicsEnabler value from No to Yes depending upon your video card.

Finally, should you find that you need a particular kernal flag, you would have to specify that in your plist so that you don't have to type it in at the bootloader window.

Tom

I was reading on another install. The gentleman describes an error that did not allow him to access the Apple app store. When you installed Mavericks on your hardware did you get this error?

the link to the post is: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/125733-chris-build-ga-z87-hd3-i5-4670-intel-4600-graphics.html it is post #4.

I know this is post is from May, but that link is my build and is worth explaining what happened.

At the time, I had two drives; a 120GB SSD and a 750GB Rotational Drive. For the sake of speed/performance, I had my user folder set on the 750GB with my Library folder symlinked to a folder on my 120GB SSD. Something there was causing issues as the app store would create a security lock file. After deleting the file, everything worked as normal, for a while until the file showed up again. To remedy this, I switched my user folder back to the SSD (like normal) and then symlinked every other folder BUT the library folder to the 750GB drive. That took care of that problem. I now have a 2TB drive which contains my entire user folder with no symlinks which works perfectly as well.

Word to the wise. Keep your Library folder within your defined "User Folder".

Can you put a Mac Pro innards inside a G5 Power PC Tower?

I really don't know much about this i would like to have it done if it is possible.
Thank you!

Any info MUCH appreciated:)

Cammie

Hi DrTom,

You have a build GA-B85M-D3H/i3 4340/HD4600.

I am trying to build a customac with the same Mobo and CPU, i was able to install Mavericks without issues but could only boot in safe mode.

I did my BIOS settings to what's recommended for the 7 series motherboard but it seems that i am missing one. I am not able to disable the "vt-d" in BIOS because i can't find that option anywhere. My BIOS version is F10. i read it somewhere else that i could type "dart=0" to disable the vt-d, do i type that where i would type -x to boot into safe mode? Where should i input that "dart=0" exactly? In the plist?

What BIOS version is your B85M?

I apologize if some of these questions have been answered.

Hi DrTom,

You have a build GA-B85M-D3H/i3 4340/HD4600.

I did my BIOS settings to what's recommended for the 7 series motherboard but it seems that i am missing one. I am not able to disable the "vt-d" in BIOS because i can't find that option anywhere. My BIOS version is F10. i read it somewhere else that i could type "dart=0" to disable the vt-d, do i type that where i would type -x to boot into safe mode? Where should i input that "dart=0" exactly? In the plist?

What BIOS version is your B85M?

I apologize if some of these questions have been answered.

Saganian1,

You don't need to disable the vt-d in your BIOS because it's only present if you're using a K (unlocked) processor.

I am using BIOS F9, so F10 should be good.

Try the following settings in your BIOS:

First set your BIOS to optimized defaults with the F7 key.
Then,
XMP Profile - Set to default. You can always play with it later.
Initial Display - IGFX
Graphics Mem - 64M
XHCI Mode - Enabled
XHCI handoff - Enabled
EHCI handoff - Enabled
SATA mode - AHCI

Tom

Hi DrTom,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

For the XMP setting, there was no "default", I made sure it was "disable" which was the default as part of the "Load Optimized Defaults". Everything else was set to your recommendation. So i tried to install Mavericks again, after installation, couldn't boot. So i booted with -x.

Once logged in, i used Multibeast, and this time, i only installed the audio and network drivers, nothing else. I decided to give it a shot at restarting. Then it restarted, booted. And now i am scared to turn it off or restart it, fear that i might not be able to reboot again.

Will keep you posted.

Hi DrTom,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Once logged in, i used Multibeast, and this time, i only installed the audio and network drivers, nothing else. I decided to give it a shot at restarting. Then it restarted, booted. And now i am scared to turn it off or restart it, fear that i might not be able to reboot again.

Will keep you posted.

Saganian1,

That's why I have two hard drives in all of my Hacks. :p As soon as I get a working installation I clone it to my backup drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. I do this after any major software installation or point update of OS X. That way if I screw up (and I have) I boot to my backup drive, clone back to my main drive, and reboot. Keep in mind that CCC doesn't copy the Chimera bootloader so you have to install it using Multibeast or independently.

Don't forget to repair disk permissions using Disk Utility and sound may not work when your Hack wakes from sleep unless you install audio using Multibeast 6.1.

Good luck with your new Hack!

Tom

Thanks DrTom,

So finally, i decided to give it a restart, and it did, but it restarted rather slowly and the boot screen flickered, i suspect it was an indication of a minor issue of some sort with the onboard graphics card. Rebooted a few times, did the same thing. Couldnt figure out where the issue was.

Using multibeast i only installed audio driver, network card driver and chimera. Anything else i installed, OSX wouldn't boot. So for now i should probably just leave it alone. One thing i noticed is that in /Extra i only have the chameleon plist, but not the smbios.plist , could that be the problem? Also, can you check my chameleon plist, and see if anything i should add or delete? It is shown below.

<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>

I too have multiple hard drives: 1 SSD (128GB) and 3 HDDs (100GB, 500GB and 1TB), and gonna have OSX installations on 2 of the HDDs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back