Contribute
Register

$421 Simple PowerHac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dual monitor works with hd4600????
Its mirror display or actual dual monitor...

if hdmi workd fr u den y needed string to inject

Both dual monitor and mirror functions worked perfectly on Mavericks with the B85M and default HD 4600 support provided by Chimera 2.2.1. No special string injection was needed.

Tom

I just want sum1 to make sure can wheter booting b85m with hdmi and oly hd4600 is possible without any string injection????anyoneee???? Any help welcomed

Both dual monitor and mirror functions worked perfectly on Mavericks with the B85M and default HD 4600 support provided by Chimera 2.2.1. No special string injection was needed.

Tom

Hi,
does the sound/video output works on HDMI, even if the DVI and the HDMI output are occupied (mirror function)?

Hi,
does the sound/video output works on HDMI, even if the DVI and the HDMI output are occupied (mirror function)?

Video output on HDMI works fine when paired with DVI. I haven't tried to boot Mavericks on the B85M with HDMI only. As I understand it, sound over HDMI will require a special string injection which I haven't tried since I don't use HDMI on a regular basis or as my primary monitor.

Tom

Dr. Tom,

Can you tell me if you had to use any boot flags to get to the installer with the B85m motherboard when you installed Mavericks? I have the identical motherboard and will install Maverticks soon.

When you installed it did you have to use just one stick of Ram? I have read from other threads that people only used only one stick of ram during the install.

Thanks.

Dr. Tom,

Can you tell me if you had to use any boot flags to get to the installer with the B85m motherboard when you installed Mavericks? I have the identical motherboard and will install Maverticks soon.

No boot flags were necessary when I installed Mavericks. I should note that I use the onboard Intel HD 4600 graphics, so if your plan is to use a discrete video card I would do the installation first and then add in the video card. If you intend to use Intel HD graphics, make sure the CPU you purchase supports HD 4600 and not HD 4400 which is unsupported.

When you installed it did you have to use just one stick of Ram? I have read from other threads that people only used only one stick of ram during the install.

Thanks.

It's a good idea to keep your machine very spartan during the initial installation, though I have successfully installed Mavericks with all four of my memory sticks in place when I was testing a clean install of 10.9.2. Make sure you carefully follow the instructions on the correct BIOS settings, have nothing other than a keyboard and mouse connected to USB (other than your Unibeast stick), have no cards in PCI slots, and use the onboard video connected via DVI to your monitor. This is a great motherboard and Mavericks is very stable on it.

Post installation is a separate issue. Do not use Multibeast 6.2. Use Multibeast 6.1 instead because of FakeSMC and audio issues. Below is my working MB 6.1 configuration.

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 11.43.45 AM.png

Good luck! :p

Tom

Dr. Tom,

Thanks very much for the informative reply.

Can you answer another question regarding memory? I have two sticks of skill ripjaws x series 2 x 2 gb ddr3 1600 ram. the timing is 9 9 9 24. I plan to only one of these sticks on the install. I will then place the other stick once the OS is loaded. This model is listed on the motherboard QVL list.

I have another 8 gb of GSkill ddr3 1866 ram 2 x 4 gb. the timing is 10-11-10-something. The latency on both memory models is the same at 9. Do you think I will have problems installing the second set of 1866 ddr3 sticks on this motherboard. Do you foresee instability issues? The 1866 ram is also the X series as well but it is not on the QVL list as you know do to the speed. I am thinking that if I use the xmp to standard RAM settings that it will automatically slow down the 1866 sticks to 1600. Do you think that this will work? I got these sticks on sale last Christmas but did not realize that my motherboard can only use up to 1600 ram.

Thanks,

Misscomp

Dr. Tom,

Thanks very much for the informative reply.

Can you answer another question regarding memory? I have two sticks of skill ripjaws x series 2 x 2 gb ddr3 1600 ram. the timing is 9 9 9 24. I plan to only one of these sticks on the install. I will then place the other stick once the OS is loaded. This model is listed on the motherboard QVL list.

This is a good plan.

I have another 8 gb of GSkill ddr3 1866 ram 2 x 4 gb. the timing is 10-11-10-something. The latency on both memory models is the same at 9. Do you think I will have problems installing the second set of 1866 ddr3 sticks on this motherboard. Do you foresee instability issues? The 1866 ram is also the X series as well but it is not on the QVL list as you know do to the speed. I am thinking that if I use the xmp to standard RAM settings that it will automatically slow down the 1866 sticks to 1600. Do you think that this will work? I got these sticks on sale last Christmas but did not realize that my motherboard can only use up to 1600 ram.

Thanks,

Misscomp

I would keep each set of RAM in its own channel, but not use the faster RAM until everything was stable with Mavericks and the first two sticks. I would set RAM to default (not XMP) in the BIOS, use the multiplier to adjust memory speed to 1600 MHz, and bump the DRAM voltage to 1.56 or 1.58 (both of which are within the allowable 5%). Add the second set of sticks when you're sure things are working well and see what happens. I think that the two sets will likely coexist well, but you won't know for sure until you try them.

Tom

Dr. Tom

Thanks for another informative reply. When I install Mavericks would you recommend that I also set the Bios to default Ram settings and not XMP profile 1?

I also noticed that you said that this motherboard does not need boot flags for Mavericks installation. Does this mean that future revisions of the Mac OS will likely need boot flags as well? I am new to Hackintosh and would rather not put in the boot flags.

Misscomp

DrTom,

I have ben trying to find other's using the same board who might have some insight into a problem I am having with my USB 3.0 ports.

Are your USB 3.0 ports writing at the correct speed?

I am having trouble getting my USB 3.0 ports on my board working with Mavericks 10.9.0+. They show up up as USB 3.0 ports in the system info, and drives connected mount etc. However the writes speeds I am getting are below USB 2.0 speeds. The USB 3.0 ports work fine with 10.8.5, but as soon as I upgraded or do a clean install of 10.9.0 they stopped writing at the correct speeds.

Kind Regards
Spang1974

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back