Contribute
Register

$421 Simple PowerHac G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
That aside,

i find it rather curious that i installed Mavericks on my older Ivy Bridge build, it has zero issue and runs perfectly. But with the newer Haswell build, it's giving me headaches. If the boot issue surfaces again, i will take a shot of the screen and post it here, because i am unable to interpret what all the texts mean.

By the way, how do you clone your OSX installation on your secondary hard drives? What i do is to install OSX multiple times, is there an easy way to do it? Thanks

That aside,

By the way, how do you clone your OSX installation on your secondary hard drives? What i do is to install OSX multiple times, is there an easy way to do it? Thanks

I use Carbon Copy Cloner. I've included a screenshot of my settings. The only downside of Carbon Copy Cloner is the cost, which is $40, and the fact that it cannot copy the bootloader. That said, you only have to install the bootloader (Chimera, Clover, or Chameleon) once and it remains undisturbed unless you repartition the drive. There are some free utilities that do the same thing, but I've never tried them as I've been very pleased with CCC. It works well with both internal and external drives.

Screen Shot 2014-08-29 at 9.15.25 AM.png

Cool. thanks DrTom,

Here is the latest update on my system.

Fearful of the system not able to boot, i installed Mavericks on my 2nd and 3rd hard drives. And i tested things out using the 2nd drive. I tried editing the chameleon plist. If i only inserted "Quiet Boot" without messing with the "Graphic Mode" or anything else, it would boot, but it would boot more slowly than usual (compared to my Ivy Bridge build). But with "Quiet Boot", the black screen would come on, then the apple logo screen comes on, and once it gets to the account log on screen, the screen would flicker once and then become stabilized for log on.

I also tested "Graphics Mode" "1920x1080x32", in which case, OSX would not boot.
I then tested "IGPEnable" "Yes" and "IGPlatformID" "0D220003", it would boot just as it would without these lines in the .plist.

All the signs lead me to suspect that this has been a graphics card issue rather than anything else, but it shouldn't be because you have the same build and you don't have a graphics card issue during boot process.

I am leaving everything intact as of now, at least once booted, the system runs perfectly well and it is stable. The only thing is slow boot time and the boot screen resolution, which i can live with. On my Ivy Bridge build, everything is perfect with Mavericks, and i built that 2 years ago. I kinda wished i had purchased the same 3rd gen i5 CPU and the same motherboard, but the price of that CPU didn't even lower one bit even after 2 years.

Anyhow, thank you so much for your time.

P.S. AWESOME G5 mod and build!! Wish i had the patience to do that.

Cool. thanks DrTom,

Here is the latest update on my system.

I am leaving everything intact as of now, at least once booted, the system runs perfectly well and it is stable. The only thing is slow boot time and the boot screen resolution, which i can live with. On my Ivy Bridge build, everything is perfect with Mavericks, and i built that 2 years ago. I kinda wished i had purchased the same 3rd gen i5 CPU and the same motherboard, but the price of that CPU didn't even lower one bit even after 2 years.

Anyhow, thank you so much for your time.

P.S. AWESOME G5 mod and build!! Wish i had the patience to do that.

Thank you for your very kind comments. :D

I missed one of your earlier messages, so here is the main part of my Chamleon plist to compare against yours. You'll note that I use a different IGPlatformID to resolve some display issues I had with my 24" Dell monitor (1920x1200). You might want to try my plist and see how it works for you.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>0C260000</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

As to having no smbios.plist, did you select a system definition under the customize tab in Multibeast? If not, try using the Mac Pro 3,1 and install only the new system definition and see what happens. Some users have had good luck with the iMac 14,1 or 14,2 definitions, but I found that both introduce annoying audio popping so I've stuck with the Mac Pro 3,1.

Tom

Hi DrTom,

Thanks for sharing the plist.

I did as advised and did some tweaking and trials.

1. Graphics resolution wouldn't work because 1920x1080x32 is my monitor maximum, so i kept that.
2. Tried the given IGPlatform ID 0C260000, would not boot, so i went back to 0D220003 which boots fine.
3. So i basically used your entire chameleon plist with the exception of the above.
4. Installed smbios.plist through Multibeast, tried 3,1; 5,1 and 6,1. 5,1 worked best and with 6,1 system does not boot.

After trials and tweaks. I concluded the following:

- BIOS settings were fine. It was the post installation that i messed up.
- Post Installation: using Multibeast to install ONLY audio, network, chimera, and system definition.
- Anything else I installed through Multibeast, it would fail to boot, including FAKESMC etc.

Now it boots great with 1 second timeout. Everything works just perfect.

Below is a copy of my chameleon plist.

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>0D220003</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Thanks for your help DrTom, really appreciate the time and patience.

You Rock! :thumbup:

Hey DrTom,

Got a question about your home made wifi card.

So you get an Apple native wifi card, insert it into the PCI E x 1 adapter, connect the receiver wires, and it is plug n play.

My question is that your B75M board has no PCI E x 1 slot, did you install your card into a PCI E x 16 slot? Is this the case?

Hey DrTom,

Got a question about your home made wifi card.

So you get an Apple native wifi card, insert it into the PCI E x 1 adapter, connect the receiver wires, and it is plug n play.

My question is that your B75M board has no PCI E x 1 slot, did you install your card into a PCI E x 16 slot? Is this the case?

That is correct. The homemade WiFi card will work in either PCI E slot (x4 or x16). I've tried it in both of them and it works perfectly. In my case I've installed it in the x4 slot so that the x16 slot is available just in case I ever want to install a discrete video card.

Tom

Dear Dr. Tom,

I noticed that you posted that you installed a beta version of Yosemite. I have the same mother board that you have the Gigabyte B85M D3H and I will try to install Yosemite on the board. I was wondering if you will plan to install the final version of Yosemite on this board? I hope you do so that I will use your experience as a guide.

Can you tell me which realtek LAN driver to install for this board when install Yosemite? The latest version of the Multibeast has the following three choices. I went to the motherboard manual and it does not say exactly which model. It just says Realtek Gb LAN.

RealtekRTL81xx or
RealtekRT8111 or
Realtek-AppleRTL8169Ethernet

THanks,

Misscomp

Dear Dr. Tom,

I noticed that you posted that you installed a beta version of Yosemite. I have the same mother board that you have the Gigabyte B85M D3H and I will try to install Yosemite on the board. I was wondering if you will plan to install the final version of Yosemite on this board? I hope you do so that I will use your experience as a guide.

Yosemite 10.10 installed with no problems. I am presently running Yosemite 10.10.1 on the B85 D3H with no problems at all. I used the latest version of Unibeast and did a clean install rather than an upgrade from Mavericks.

My Multibeast configuration looked as follows:

Quick Start>DSDT Free
Drivers>3rd Party SATA
Drivers>Misc>FakeSMC v8.11.1328
Drivers>Misc>FakeSMC v8.11.1328 Plugins
Drivers>Misc>FakeSMC v8.11.1328 HWMonitor Application
Drivers>Network>Realtek>RealtekRTL8111 v1.2.2
Bootloaders>Chimera v4.0.1
Customize>Boot Options>Basic Boot Options
Customize>Boot Options>Generate CPU States
Customize>Boot Options>Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize>Boot Options>Kext Dev Mode
Customize>Boot Options>Use KernelCache
Customize>System Definitions>Mac Pro>Mac Pro 3,1
Customize>Themes>tonymacx86 White

The only place that I deviated from a normal installation was to use KextUtility to install my working AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler1.kext from Mavericks for ALC892 sound rather than Multibeast. It may be that Multibeast now works, but with Mavericks sound would be gone when it work from sleep unless I used Multibeast 6.1 or earlier, so I didn't even try it.

Can you tell me which realtek LAN driver to install for this board when install Yosemite? The latest version of the Multibeast has the following three choices. I went to the motherboard manual and it does not say exactly which model. It just says Realtek Gb LAN.

RealtekRTL81xx or
RealtekRT8111 or
Realtek-AppleRTL8169Ethernet

As you can see above I used the RealtekRT8111 kext. The other two did not work.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any additional questions. :)

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back