Contribute
Register

3rd Party USB 3.0 - GenericUSBXHCI.kext Working in 10.11.2+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Was going to try installing this kext on my z370 running with 10.13.3. ive currently had followed the
Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext Guide without success with speeds over 10Mbps.

The question i have is will i have any issues with the custom SSDT with this kext? and if i do get a kernal crash what do i do in order to uninstall the kext.
My understanding is to do something in clover on boot up then once in macOS uninstall the kext?

Hi, Was going to try installing this kext on my z370 running with 10.13.3. ive currently had followed the
Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext Guide without success with speeds over 10Mbps.

The question i have is will i have any issues with the custom SSDT with this kext? and if i do get a kernal crash what do i do in order to uninstall the kext.
My understanding is to do something in clover on boot up then once in macOS uninstall the kext?

GenericUSBXHCI.kext does not likely apply to your hardware.
And GenericUSBXHCI.kext is not related to USBInjectAll.kext at all.
You should follow the guide carefully:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Hi - I installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext from Multibeast, but my ASMedia USB 3.1 controller does not work. I have created a custom SSDT and eliminated 4 ports that do not exist on my machine (confirmed with IORegistryExplorer) and all USB ports work correctly. I just have never been able to get the asmedia USB ports to work at all... any suggestions?

Hi - I installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext from Multibeast, but my ASMedia USB 3.1 controller does not work. I have created a custom SSDT and eliminated 4 ports that do not exist on my machine (confirmed with IORegistryExplorer) and all USB ports work correctly. I just have never been able to get the asmedia USB ports to work at all... any suggestions?

The ASMedia 1142 works with the default macOS 10.13 driver but the ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING uses the ASMedia 2142?

Does it work without GenericUSBXHCI.kext using the default macOS 10.13 driver?

The ASMedia 1142 (vendor id:device id = 1b21:1242 class-code = <30 03 0c 00> = 0x0C0330) matches against AppleUSBXHCIPCI of IOKitPersonalities of /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext/Contents/Info.plist
which uses a IOPCIClassMatch of 0x0c033000

The ASMedia 2142 should be similar except the device id. Check the ioregistry.

I have a Asus P8Z68-V Pro which has an Asmedia USB 3.0 controller I thought of wanting to enable, which has failed so far to work effectively. So using DPCIManager I had the idea of perhaps checking out what it might contain. To my surprise it detects not just the Asmedia USB 3.0 controller but also an Asmedia 1083/1085 PCI to PCIe controller. Replacing the 1b21_1000 IOPCIMatch value in GenericUSBXHCI with 1b21_1042, yields me some workable ports on the Asmedia (albeit at very slow speeds). I'm wondering if its possible to create some sort of useable kexts with this?

dpci-asmediausb3-p8v68vpro.png

dpci-ioreg-p8z68vpro.png

I have a Asus P8Z68-V Pro which has an Asmedia USB 3.0 controller I thought of wanting to enable, which has failed so far to work effectively. So using DPCIManager I had the idea of perhaps checking out what it might contain. To my surprise it detects not just the Asmedia USB 3.0 controller but also an Asmedia 1083/1085 PCI to PCIe controller. Replacing the 1b21_1000 IOPCIMatch value in GenericUSBXHCI with 1b21_1042, yields me some workable ports on the Asmedia (albeit at very slow speeds). I'm wondering if its possible to create some sort of useable kexts with this?

View attachment 329999

View attachment 329998

Ignore ASmedia.
Install supported USB3 add-in card (FL1100 based).

Well I had thought that it was all a bit of a lost cause earlier that it was slow. Turns out I did manage to get the port working at 5Gbps speeds with the IOPCIMatch rename! To check the speeds on the Asmedia I used BlackMagic SpeedTest with a hard drive instead of a USB 3.1 stick I was using earlier which didn't have too high a result. Surprisingly the USB 3.0 speeds match those on my new Z370 Prime P as well as my 2013 Haswell MacBook Air and there is definitely constant power (no dropouts) so it is partly saved...

DiskSpeedTestusb3.png

So the kext is here if anyone needs it. At the moment it works only on the bottom port of my P8Z68 V Pro Asmedia. You'll need to combine it with FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux as well as a XHCI-200-series-injector. I'm still testing it, but it looks good for now.

Attachments

• GenericUSBXHCI.kext.zip
    57.7 KB · Views: 281
Well I had thought that it was all a bit of a lost cause earlier that it was slow. Turns out I did manage to get the port working at 5Gbps speeds with the IOPCIMatch rename! To check the speeds on the Asmedia I used BlackMagic SpeedTest with a hard drive instead of a USB 3.1 stick I was using earlier which didn't have too high a result. Surprisingly the USB 3.0 speeds match those on my new Z370 Prime P as well as my 2013 Haswell MacBook Air and there is definitely constant power (no dropouts) so it is partly saved...

View attachment 330026

So the kext is here if anyone needs it. At the moment it works only on the bottom port of my P8Z68 V Pro Asmedia. You'll need to combine it with FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux as well as a XHCI-200-series-injector. I'm still testing it, but it looks good for now.

Keep in mind last I checked there are issues with GenericUSBXHCI.kext on recent macOS/OS X (mostly detection issues).
And I haven't even checked the 10.13 headers to see if the private data in XHCI has changed (the GenericUSBXHCI code accesses various undocumented private kext data and the layout tends to change version to version).

FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext has no effect on 6-series Intel chipset.
Neither does XHCI-200-series-injector.kext.

FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext applies only to 7-series, 8-series, and 9-series.
XHCI-200-series-injector.kext applies only to 200-series, and some 300-series chipsets.

Yes I realise that, but the weirdest thing is that without the 200-series-injector, there was no data signal going to the Asmedia port. On its own the revised GenericUSBXHCI only seemed to provide power and nothing else to the board.

Anyways I will try and remove the kexts to this configuration and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back