Contribute
Register

280x Not recognised by Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing it's the 10.9.2 driver. When I switched to HD 4000 graphics I was able to boot with both Gigabyte 270x 4GB cards installed but LuxMark 2.1 recognized the cards as "AMD Radeon HD Pitcairn PRO Prototype" whereas before it recognized the cards as D300. With the new driver the performance was significantly less then when they were recognized as D300 under 10.9.1.

There were several DisplayPort and boot issues beyond the performance issues. I ended up dumping them since they were going for $300 each. Now you can get a 280x for that price. Crazy.

So goes the rabbit hole... I'd still like to hear from Stingray454 in the other thread. If he is running 10.9.2 then what chipset and what's his luxmark before/after?

Looking at his previous posts, it looks like he's using Haswell? In retrospect, I wish I went down that route as well. The 3930K is super fast when over clocked, but was it worth it? Now I'm missing that AMD performance is FCPX.

I know what you're saying... I love the idea of a 20k geekbench with the 3930k but I'll stick to my z77+3770K for as long as I need to. As you know when you're rendering you can actually see results. Not just geeking out on the numbers.

Small update on my progress with the card.

I was able to get my Luxmark score up to 2077 using GraphicsEnabler=No. Still don't have full QE/CI though. Card shows up as AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB in about this mac and as AMD Radeon HD Tahiti XT Prototype Compute Engine in Luxmark.

Small update on my progress with the card.

I was able to get my Luxmark score up to 2077 using GraphicsEnabler=No. Still don't have full QE/CI though. Card shows up as AMD Radeon HD 7xxx 3072 MB in about this mac and as AMD Radeon HD Tahiti XT Prototype Compute Engine in Luxmark.

This is interesting, I wonder if this will work on the Gigabyte X79 board's? Why didn't you flash to the XFX 7970 OC Black?

This is interesting, I wonder if this will work on the Gigabyte X79 board's? Why didn't you flash to the XFX 7970 OC Black?

It appears that the 280x non Black Edition is the same as the 7970 OC Black. Both have a clock speed of 1000Mhz. Only difference i can see is the 280x has a higher memory clock.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the x79 boards, as I was having the same problems as everyone else before i flashed the bios.

How is the card performing now? Have you managed to get anymore out if it?

Do you use FCPX?

Haven't really had a chance to do anymore testing. I get out of work early today and should have some time to try and tweak it a little more.

I do use FCPX, but haven't gotten around to doing anything with the card working. I'll run the BruceX benchmark tonight and post the results here.

Hi,

I've flashed my card now. I'm getting the same issue as you -AMD Radeon HD 7xxx. Luxmark score is 2141 which is an improvement over the GTX's 712. I have tried FCPX but it keeps crashing when I try Bruce's test (I think I may need to reinstall it) I don't think my Displayport is working, I've had to plug in the DVI to HDMI for now. In fact, I think a fresh install of Mavericks may be order tomorrow (It's late here now).

Keep us updated if you discover anything new.

Thanks.

What bios did you flash?

For some reason every time I launch Luxmark now, the computer freezes, so no updates there. I was able to run the brucex benchmark, it took 26 seconds when exporting as Apple ProRes HQ.

What bios did you flash?

For some reason every time I launch Luxmark now, the computer freezes, so no updates there. I was able to run the brucex benchmark, it took 26 seconds when exporting as Apple ProRes HQ.

I used the 280x DD bios. I've done a clean install of Mavericks and FCPX. The display ports are not working but the HDMI and DVI are.

FCPX is constantly crashing on me, but Luxmark is ok for me. I'm not sure how to get around this crashing FCPX problem. It's always seems to be when I start touching the effects which would explain the Brucex test fail. It seems it is only certain effects which cause FCPX to freeze.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back