Contribute
Register

280x Not recognised by Mavericks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost certain it's the card. I also have the XFX R9 280x Black Edition and am having the same problems. For me, the problem seems to be that the AMDFramebuffer.kext isn't loading. I've tried all combinations of AtiConfig and ATIPorts and an edited frame buffer with no success.

edit: Even when it hangs on boot, I'm able to remote log into the computer and I can hear sound if I press the volume keys.

Hi,

I have the XFX 280x OC Black Edition. The only way we're going to resolve whether it's the motherboard or the GPU is for someone to try a 7970? This guy in Australia from my link above reckons his works with a different brand 280x. But he's not willing to tell me how he got it working. He says "I can't offer free support" as he is running a business. So we're screwed on that front.

I'm almost certain it's the card. I also have the XFX R9 280x Black Edition and am having the same problems. For me, the problem seems to be that the AMDFramebuffer.kext isn't loading. I've tried all combinations of AtiConfig and ATIPorts and an edited frame buffer with no success.

edit: Even when it hangs on boot, I'm able to remote log into the computer and I can hear sound if I press the volume keys.

Hi, I have the XFX 280x OC Black Edition. That's 3 of us with the same card that isn't working isn't it? But then again, we all have Gigabyte boards. We need someone with an X79 Gigabyte board and a different brand 7970 or 280x to be sure?

I was wondering if flashing the video bios to a 7970 would make any difference?

I was wondering if flashing the video bios to a 7970 would make any difference?

I'm not sure about flashing to a 7970, but maybe flashing the video bios from a known working 280x would work.

I've bought a GTX 770 4GB now. Haven't the time to get this working. The 770 seems ok. I would of liked the 280x for better FCPX support though.

I've bought a GTX 770 4GB now. Haven't the time to get this working. The 770 seems ok. I would of liked the 280x for better FCPX support though.

This is hilarious. I had a GTX 760 and sold it for dual 270x cards and now I've sold those. This hackintosh build is becoming painful. Everything worked great with 10.9.1 but then 10.9.2 came out and I couldn't get the cards to work unless I booted off the internal HD 4000. Even then the new 10.9.2 graphics driver was 33% less performance. Completely sucked.

In the beginning all I wanted the better FCPX and Resolve performance since I'm working with magic lantern raw footage (cinemaDNG via RAWMagic).

I've read that people have had better luck with 280x cards running 10.9.2 so I was thinking of picking up a single 280x since script mining is dying and so are the 280x ebay prices. Sounds like you guys are still having issues. I refuse to go back to a 7xx card after having such massive OpenCL performance.

Hi,

I see you are using a different motherboard. I can't say anything about the 280x compatibility for that, but if you have or plan to get a Gigabyte X79 Board and want use a 280x, forget about it on Mavericks for now. I'm currently editing Canon 1DC 4k footage and the 770 and 3930k @ 4.5 Ghz is handling it pretty easily in FCPX. I can play back the 4k footage at full resolution in the timeline on a 4k monitor, so I'm quite happy with that. In Parallels using Windows 8.1, the Passmark benchmark for the CPU is on par with a stock 4930k. Obviously, I'm missing 2 cores when using Parallels which are being used in OSX.

When these issues regarding the 280x are sorted, i will definitely be selling the 770 and maybe investing in a pair of 280x's. Not that there's anything wrong with the 770, it's just that I want maximum performance in FCPX. Who knows, maybe we'll have support for the 290x by then as well!

Can anyone confirm the 280x/7970 is working on the Asus X79 boards under Mavericks?

I have a X79-UD5 sitting on my bench. I was going to get a 3930k for it but I may just scrap the idea. I imagine we'll see the 280x issues sorted (hopefully) but I'd really hate to buy another Nvidia card after having already sold the 760 at a loss. What gets me the most is having had dual 270x working perfectly for 2 months and now they don't! That's frustrating.

Basic 1080p timeline works fine with HD 4000 (CinemaDNG to ProRes 4444) and I've also tested it with my Radeon 6670 as well. Both are very low OpenCL scores, however, the 760 OpenCL score isn't much better. I'm using a 27" Dell U2713h via Display Port with HD 4000 and also tested Dual Link DVI with the 6670. I'm not a pro so I can deal with it but I'm not satisfied with the build. Things like my denoise plug-in were a ton faster with the 270x. I haven't tested Lock & Load (stabilizer) yet, so not sure if it uses OpenCL or just CPU.

At this point I may just sell the x79 and stick with the z77. On the other hand, if I do build it out then I'd probably temporarily use the 6670 via DL DVI since the 3930k doesn't have onboard graphics. If 280x worked I'd jump on this build right now.

Strange, we need to get in contact with this guy to see how he did it? I can't message him as I don't think I have enough posts.

I just piggy backed on your post and quoted the guy running 10.9.2 with x79 and dual 280x cards. He should get a notification since I quoted him. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back