Contribute
Register

2020 is the Twentieth Anniversary of Mac OS X What does the future hold ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I interest in softwares more. Not possible to buy every year, but I do upgrade the operating systems every year.

So where does this upcoming, soon to be announced new direction for macOS leave us ? It's also widely predicted that Apple will announce a new 23 inch iMac which has a 10th gen Comet Lake Intel CPU inside. So when you look at the average length of 5-6 years of support for that new iMac it does leave us plenty of time to keep using our hackintosh machines with the latest macOS version. There's not much chance that Apple would sell these in the Fall of 2020 and then cut off support in 1-2 years. They have some kind of plan to continue supporting x86 architecture, Intel based Macs. I really can't see Apple making the transition to using their own A series chips in all Macs within the next 18 months. That's what they did back in 2006/7 when Jobs was the CEO. This planned transition is what we'll learn more about on Monday the 22nd.

Let Apple release their own ARM based macs. I hope there will a lineup of ARM based PC processors soon. Then we will jump into making arm based hackintosh again. But as you said and I agree with you that we still can use Intel based hackintosh for the next couple of years for sure.

Remember one thing its year 2020 :crazy:. As we know 2020 is so messed up with pandemic, national disasters and other bad things even Apple can't get away with this.

Last edited:
Let Apple release their own ARM based macs. I hope there will a lineup of ARM based PC processors soon. Then we will jump into making arm based hackintosh again. But as you said and I agree with you that we still can use Intel based hackintosh for the next couple of years for sure.
Since the custom Apple chips will not be the same as those ARM CPUs that PC users have in their machines, I don't think it's going to be as simple as you hope. It won't be like the current situation where Intel chips used in Macs are exactly the same as the ones PCs use. I'm certain that Apple won't sell their custom A series Bionic chips to anyone else. There would be an influx of ARM Mac clones if they did. Then there's also the fact of the T2 co-processor that further locks things down. No way anyone will be able to buy those other than what they pull from a logic board which it is tied to.
The custom T2 chip is integrated with the logic board on all Macs from the late 2017 iMac Pro forward. When talking about the T2, which Apple does sparingly, it focuses on the security aspects like storing your system’s cryptographic keys. However, it also interfaces with Apple’s proprietary system configuration software known as Apple Service Toolkit 2 (AST2). Apple only gives AST2 to authorized repair centers, and without that tool, your computer might be dead.

Leaked repair manuals laid the situation out for us several months ago, but now Apple has confirmed: T2 verifies the authenticity of hardware in your system. So, replacing certain components like the logic board or Touch ID sensor could trip the T2 security sensor.

Last edited:
They are also calling it 11.0. Didn't think the chip would be A12Z ?

Screen Shot 22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back