Contribute
Register

2020 is the Twentieth Anniversary of Mac OS X What does the future hold ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct quote from Tim: "We expect to ship Intel-based Macs for years to come." I think he also said Intel versions of macOS for Intel based Macs. Didn't think anything like this would happen. Could get very confusing for customers.

10.15 -> 11 that means 6 years left for our Intel based Hackintosh I hope :crazy:.
At least they (including Intel-based Macs) could still run x86 systems. PowerPC-based Macs were completely tragic.

Direct quote from Tim: "We expect to ship Intel-based Macs for years to come." I think he also said Intel versions of macOS for Intel based Macs. Didn't think anything like this would happen. Could get very confusing for customers.

Or maybe he mistook "Apple Silicon" with "Intel" :lol:

Went back and checked (Tim's quote is at about 1:51:45 of the keynote):
His quote is not that they will SHIP intel but rather:

"We plan to continue to support and release new versions of macOS for intel based macs for years to come."

"We plan to continue to support and release new versions of MacOS for intel based macs for years to come."
That's what I thought I heard. Does it mean only 2 years though ? I guess they could maintain 2 versions but it's highly unlikely that they would do that for more than 2 years.

That's what I thought I heard. Does it mean only 2 years though ? I guess they could maintain 2 versions but it's highly unlikely that they would do that for more than 2 years.
Another Osborne effect is coming...

Tim does say, a few seconds later, "in fact, we have some new, intel based macs in the pipeline that we're very excited about." I personally read that as macs scheduled for this year (and, possibly but less likely, first half of 2021). I assume that this is good news for us (we still have unreleased intel macs - not to mention the exorbitantly expensive mac pro - which could, in theory, give us another 6-7 years of support - i.e. a departure from the PowerPC - Intel switch timeline of three years?) That said, the keynote definietely seemed to imply that Apple's custom silicon is the priority moving forward. This, paired with all of their other efforts to further unify their ecosystem, I think, suggests that the fate of the Hackintosh community truly rests, now, with the fate of the 2019 (non T2) iMac.

Last edited:
Another Osborne effect is coming...
Totally agree. Tim's vagueness about intell support for "years to come" would not give me much confidence (especially since I, personally, and through my own ignorance, got burned in the PowerPC - Intel transition).

Given that Tim said they’d continue to support Intel, Big question is this:
Can intel get its act together and can deliver Rocket Lake, Alder Lake, and future Golden Cove processors on 7nm and beyond? If so, will the performance match or exceed ‘Apple Silicon?”

If so, then what is the point of Arm if performance on intel is better? Maybe we might see a dual/hybrid approach. Where Apple releases both Arm and Intel based macs. Can be Arm for small form factor (MacBook/Mac mini) and Intel for Desktop? We need more info...

Also, what about Big Navi Radeon processors. Will they exceed Apple Silicon performance? Apple claims Apple Silicon is going to have much better performance... but I need to see Benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back