Graphics
Ati Radeon
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I'm looking to buy a new computer and debating whether or not I should get the new 21.5 inch baseline model iMac (2012) or custom build a hackintosh with the same price range. I use a computer for video editing with programs such as final cut pro X and Sony Vegas Pro 11, web browsing, usage of microsoft office and some light music production (with Fl Studio 10).

So what computer should I go for the new 21.5 inch iMac baseline model or custom build a hackintosh with roughly the same price range?

I'm debating the same thing with myself. I'm leaning towards a hackintosh for a couple reasons:

1) Upgradeable
2) Better components for the same price
3) Repairability.

I'm replacing my old 2007 imac that had its motherboard fail. It's $800 to replace the motherboard alone, so I don't want to be in that situation again. For a little more money than the $800 I can get something I can repair myself with less expensive parts. I want to get a hackintosh because I prefer the OS. I just need a hand making sure my parts are correct. :)

So I'm looking to buy a new computer and debating whether or not I should get the new 21.5 inch baseline model iMac (2012) or custom build a hackintosh with the same price range. I use a computer for video editing with programs such as final cut pro X and Sony Vegas Pro 11, web browsing, usage of microsoft office and some light music production (with Fl Studio 10).

So what computer should I go for the new 21.5 inch iMac baseline model or custom build a hackintosh with roughly the same price range?

As btko said, the pros for going with a Hackintosh are better upgradeability; more computer for the money (or even for less money); cheaper repairs; and everything "just works". There are cons as well - you're on your own as far as support goes (except of course for this excellent forum, which shouldn't be underestimated!); Apple could decide to switch to a totally different platform such as AMD or ARM and the Hackintosh community would be pretty much screwed; and it can be a little more difficult to get everything "working".

Depends on if you want a "get it and forget it" system (the iMac) or if you like tinkering.

As btko said, the pros for going with a Hackintosh are better upgradeability; more computer for the money (or even for less money); cheaper repairs; and everything "just works". There are cons as well - you're on your own as far as support goes (except of course for this excellent forum, which shouldn't be underestimated!); Apple could decide to switch to a totally different platform such as AMD or ARM and the Hackintosh community would be pretty much screwed; and it can be a little more difficult to get everything "working".

Depends on if you want a "get it and forget it" system (the iMac) or if you like tinkering.

i agree with all of above, former imac owner, now have a hackintosh that is so stable. Repairs after warranty on imac is very expensive and latest model is very hard to service yourself if not impossible.

if apple makes move to arm or another architecture, we are all screwed, apple imac owners as well as hackintosh. i think it would be a huge mistake to expect devs to make another version of programs but who knows. i will cross that bridge when i come to it. maybe appstore will still provide software for older macs until they discontinue support for them. i think that is at least 5 years off and will be in there macbook air line first. gonna be interesting!

I will add, i have spent far more in software for my desktop mac now that the appstore is available. it is just so easy to purchase and download. I do think it was the right move for apple.

also, i dislike the idea of merging ios and osx. the day i need to jailbreak my desktop os to get what i want done, is the day i move on to ubuntu or something else.

Like you, I have an older iMac that is beginning to show its age. I was planning on getting the new iMac when it came out, but looking over the specs, I found I would want a high-end one for around $2000, and that still wouldn't be near as powerful as I was hoping.

That's when I discovered the viability of a Hackintosh, and I'm not looking back (but then I also like to tinker). The system I'm putting together would probably cost over $3Gs as a Mac (if it were even possible; Macs don't have very powerful graphic card options). I will end up spending about half that. So, for the price of a mid-range iMac you can put together a killer machine with a 23-27" monitor.

Granted, you won't have the wonderful ease-of-use-out-of-the-box-plug-in-and-go of a real Mac or the fantastic support, but there's the rub. You just have to ask yourself if the trade-offs are worth it; they are for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back