Contribute
Register

10.9.2 on Sabertooth x79 Core i7 3930k with Overclock [GUIDE / ADVICE / FILES]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dave, got that working after I copied/pasted from my old ML plist.

The only issue I'm having now is an attempt at light overclocking.

I'm only trying to clock @ about 4 - 4.2GHz, but can't seem to do so successfully without dropping the frequency of my RAM.

I have 1600 MHz RAM, but it's dropping between 1066 & 1300 (I assume because of the BLCK adjustments I'm making). The second I hit 1600, my processor jumps back to 3.2GHz I also can't overclock unless Turboboost is left on.

Would anyone know the exact settings I need for the following?
-Bump up to 4.0-4.2 GHz on the processor
-Keep ram @ 1600MHz

Thanks again!

Overclocking is a mystery and every processor and motherboard is different.

Usually you have to do a trial and error until you find the perfect settings that fit you best.

The most simple overclock would be to higher the "multiplier", default 32, put it at 40 and you get 4.0Ghz.

However, overclocking doesn't work in mavericks if you don't have power management working.

After I got power management working, everything was working with turbo and now I'm running at 4.5Ghz with 36 Multiplier and 126.5 blck or something like that.

I tried to put my guide on power management on here but I got banned for that so if you want it I can send it to you privately.

Dave

PS: You also have to find the perfect vcore and dram voltage so it doesn't overheat (left on auto it will be pretty hot) and for your RAM the best would be to do a DRAM TIMING control setup in your BIOS (just google your dram timings and put them in there)

Overclocking is a mystery and every processor and motherboard is different.

Usually you have to do a trial and error until you find the perfect settings that fit you best.

The most simple overclock would be to higher the "multiplier", default 32, put it at 40 and you get 4.0Ghz.

However, overclocking doesn't work in mavericks if you don't have power management working.

After I got power management working, everything was working with turbo and now I'm running at 4.5Ghz with 36 Multiplier and 126.5 blck or something like that.

I tried to put my guide on power management on here but I got banned for that so if you want it I can send it to you privately.

Dave

PS: You also have to find the perfect vcore and dram voltage so it doesn't overheat (left on auto it will be pretty hot) and for your RAM the best would be to do a DRAM TIMING control setup in your BIOS (just google your dram timings and put them in there)

Ok, great info. Thanks again Dave.

I have mine clocked @ 4GHz with a memory frequency drop, but it's stable, clocking an extra 3,000+ in Geekbench, and I'm seeing a negligible rise in CPU temp. I'll just stick with what I have!

best

Dave,

First off thank you for all your hard work and this guide. I was able to get my system up and running pretty close to 100 percent. (I don't have sleep). Second, I wanted to comment for those that were haveing the issue of it getting stuck at AppleKeyStore. I was having the same issue and did 2 things (fixed the boot error on start up and removed the DTST.aml) not sure what did what but after that everything but sleep worked well.

The Boot 0 issue if you are not familiar with it has to do with the new way drives read sectors or something and you basically just have to load chimaera through multibeast through usb from a working mac or hack.

On the DTST.aml. I think there may be an issue with the bios. I am running the latest at 4680 or something the one that starts with 4. I think that's why we cant see the choices to change the bios to what you have. They simply do not exist in this version.

So there you go.

I hope that helps anyone stuck and thank you again for your guide.

Alex

Ps If you have any idea on how I could get sleep working other then the DTST I would really appreciate it.

Dave,

First off thank you for all your hard work and this guide. I was able to get my system up and running pretty close to 100 percent. (I don't have sleep). Second, I wanted to comment for those that were haveing the issue of it getting stuck at AppleKeyStore. I was having the same issue and did 2 things (fixed the boot error on start up and removed the DTST.aml) not sure what did what but after that everything but sleep worked well.

The Boot 0 issue if you are not familiar with it has to do with the new way drives read sectors or something and you basically just have to load chimaera through multibeast through usb from a working mac or hack.

On the DTST.aml. I think there may be an issue with the bios. I am running the latest at 4680 or something the one that starts with 4. I think that's why we cant see the choices to change the bios to what you have. They simply do not exist in this version.

So there you go.

I hope that helps anyone stuck and thank you again for your guide.

Alex

Ps If you have any idea on how I could get sleep working other then the DTST I would really appreciate it.

Glad I could help you!

Dave

Hi just read this post for the first time after building a similar spec..

Correct me if i'm wrong but you don't need Nullcpupowermanagement.kext or VoodooTSYnc.kext. Dart=0 is only needed when it is enable in the bios.

Looking as IOreg i can see that voodootsync.kext was attached to one thread/one core.. If you remove voodosync I see all threads with AppleCPU.

To do this use SSDTPRGEN to create an SSDT.aml so the operating system will recognise and load the vanila kext for the CPU. I have no errors with the CPU or power management..

Thanks Dave this was great few tricks i did no know ;)

Hi just read this post for the first time after building a similar spec..

Correct me if i'm wrong but you don't need Nullcpupowermanagement.kext or VoodooTSYnc.kext. Dart=0 is only needed when it is enable in the bios.

Looking as IOreg i can see that voodootsync.kext was attached to one thread/one core.. If you remove voodosync I see all threads with AppleCPU.

To do this use SSDTPRGEN to create an SSDT.aml so the operating system will recognise and load the vanila kext for the CPU. I have no errors with the CPU or power management..

Thanks Dave this was great few tricks i did no know ;)

NullCPU and VoodoTSync is needed if you didn't set it up otherwise. Dart=0 is needed if VT-d is activated in BIOS.

I did add "Power Management" to this Tutorial with how to generate SSDT etc. but it got removed because it wasn't Tonymac software.

Cheers
Dave

@davevegas : thanks so so much for this guide! I updated from 10.8.2 to 10.9.3 with Sabertooth x79 3930k and GTX670 4GB -- confirmed working!

I did notice the Open CL bug you mentioned for my graphics card. I'm thinking about disabling it. I don't do much photoshop at all -- but lots of video editing (usually without stills). How bad is it if the GPU core and memory are at their high frequency settings? Does it hurt the life of the card or? And is there a new workaround?

So if I follow this guide power management will work, right?

if not how could I get it to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back