Contribute
Register

Z790 Chipset & Raptor Lake

Thanks for the feedback.But my wired Internet works without any kexts. (I forgot to delete Intel mouse.) All the ports that I use (back and front) work in 2.0-3.0 mode, so I didn't limit them to 15 pieces (then I'll turn off the extra ports anyway). Sleep also works from the first, second and third time. Here I'm still thinking whether a bridge is needed for a video card, because everything works the same without it.

I'm catching up on a previous post...

The Internal (255) connector type should be used for any and all ports served from the USB2 motherboard headers. This will include any Bluetooth, Webcam (laptop), USB2 case front card readers or USB2 case front ports that are connected to an Internal USB2 header.

Is this for sure?

From USBmap's built-in documentation:

Per the ACPI 6.2 Spec:
0: Type A connector
1: Mini-AB connector
2: ExpressCard
3: USB 3 Standard-A connector
4: USB 3 Standard-B connector
5: USB 3 Micro-B connector
6: USB 3 Micro-AB connector
7: USB 3 Power-B connector
8: Type C connector - USB2-only
9: Type C connector - USB2 and SS with Switch
10: Type C connector - USB2 and SS without Switch
11-254: Reserved
255: Proprietary (built-in) connector

My understanding (tho I'm not sure I'm right) is that the port type, regardless of USB 2 or USB 3, should agree with the mechanical edge of the build.

IOW, a header in and of itself doesn't determine a type. You should follow it to it's edge and choose the type that way. Assume that the controller can't tell about the existence of wiring from a header to an edge. You have to inform the system. For pluggable devices, there are edge cases for shorts (over-current), interruption of downstream devices, etc. that may percolate status up through libraries and UIs. I imagine there are other aspects as well. The typing provides guidance to the SW stack.

So a header that connects via harness to a A-port would be "0" if USB 2 or "3" if USB 3.

OTOH, Attachment points not covered by the above list, like non-Express card-readers, can be assumed to be proprietary (255).

Is this for sure?
Yes, any ports served from a USB2.0 motherboard header should be set with connector type 'Interna' (255). Regardless of whether it is serving a case front card reader, USB2 physical port, internal webcam (laptop) or the Bluetooth module.

Try using Internal (255) and see if it works for your system. This is how I have been setting motherboard USB2.0 header ports since Apple started messing with the USB ports in El Capitan and I have never had any sleep/wake issues in any of the numerous hacks I have built. Or when correcting someones USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml etc.

I understand the logic of using the physical port attributes, but have found that setting the 4 or 6 ports served from the USB2 motherboard headers as Internal (255) works.

This is a screenshot showing the Hackintool > USB window for my Kaby Lake i7-7700K/Z270 system in my signature. You can see I have 5 x ports set as Internal (255).

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 00.18.08.png

HS07, HS08, HS09, HS10 and HS11 are all set as Internal. Only HS11 serving the Bluetooth module would be set in this manner following your disposition. The other four serving the case front ports and card reader would be set as USB2 (0).

My position is that all these devices are connected to internal header ports, not USB2 physical ports, so using Internal (255) seems correct to me.

My build is unstable. (-___-) I have spent like 3 weekends trying to get my new desktop to work, but alas. Just when I thought I finally got it. I still have not.

For easy access...
CPU: Intel 13th Gen 13900K-i9
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX Rev 1.1
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64gb (2x32gb) DDR5-6400 CL32 [without XMP in BIOS, it drops to 4800]
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RX 6800XT Master
Boot Drive: WD Black SN850X 1Tb NVMe
Data Drive: WD Black SN850X 2Tb NVMe
PSU: Corsair HX1500i Platinum
BT/Wifi: Fenvi FV-T919 802 11a/b/g/n/ac

What works
Generally, it seems to work averagely okay. For any average user, it'd probably be perfectly fine and acceptable.

• It boots just fine, but the chain of debug text certainly lasts a bit longer than my old 6thGen/Monterey build did. Not sure if that's to be expected.

• I solved my USB issues and Enumeration Errors by simply removing what I discovered to be a faulty internal-USB-hub. As soon as it was gone, all my USBs were working fine, recognition, speeds and all, as they should be.

• I solved the conflict of my Adobe programs crashing on launch, by swapping the generic [CPUFriend + DataProvider] kexts with [CPUTopologyRebuild kext + ProvideCurrentCPUInfo Quirk enabled]. I don't know if it's cosmetic or accurate, but System Settings and Geekbench successfully recognize 24cores/32threads. Cinebench recognizing the Hackintosh default 32core, not specifying threads. Hm. ..?

• Airdrop, Bluetooth and Wifi all looking good. Intel Wifi has x2 speeds compared to the Fenvi, but leaving both active causes irregularities in System Preferences >> Network, so I just unplugged the Intel. I won't be using Wifi with Mac on this computer, anyway. Ethernet's 100%.

• Separating OS boot-drive from my User Profile Data-drive proves successful. I don't know why it wasn't working before. The only thing that I changed between now and then, was the CPU Kexts. Maybe associated?

What doesn't work
• Still won't wake from sleep. Sigh. I timed it. Screensaver is indefinitely fine, but 5 minutes after display sleep, it refuses to wake. of course setting "Turn display off when inactive" to "Never" is a temporary fix, but unacceptable for long-term use. I expect the same problem that is causing this may be the same problem causing the next bit.

• Finder is slow, laggy and jittery. It isn't unbearable, but definitely noticeable. I am a very fast typist, and when typing a search query into a Finder window, it will sometimes hang up for a second. Not associated with keystroke settings in System Preferences. I am also certain that I have never seen a Macintosh Finder window say, "Loading...", in my life, heh. Scrolling is jittery and skips when viewing finder windows with lots of content.

• Applications take longer to boot than they should, sometimes almost twice or three times as long as my M2 Macbook Air.

• As mentioned before, Cinebench is still recognizing my 24-core CPU as having 32cores. I have read that 32cores is the Hackintosh default, without using ProvideCurrentCPUInfo + CPUTopologyRebuild setting it to 24. Cause for concern?

• CPU benchmarks are not impressive. Geekbench rates CPU Single-Core at 1742, multi-core 15114, while my M2 Macbook Air pulls S-2597/M-9913. Cinebench pulls 1550 Single-Core, and application crashes 9 minutes into testing Multi-Core. Oof. S-1579/M-7822 on M2 MBA.

• my cat keeps jumping on my desk and shedding everywhere. Definitely associated.

__
I expect CPU and/or power related.
If some kind soul may have any ideas on how to fix these issues, please do share~<3

EFI Zip and pList attached. Serial Numbers removed.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 1.10.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.30.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.30.06 PM.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.56.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.56.27 PM.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 3.06.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 3.06.31 PM.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230816_153637.jpg
    20230816_153637.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 86
  • EFI_attachment.zip
    20.7 MB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 3.54.34 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 3.54.34 PM.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 70
  • config.plist
    26.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
My build is unstable. (-___-) I have spent like 3 weekends trying to get my new desktop to work, but alas. Just when I thought I finally got it. I still have not.

For easy access...
CPU: Intel 13th Gen 13900K-i9
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite AX Rev 1.1
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64gb (2x32gb) DDR5-6400 CL32 [without XMP in BIOS, it drops to 4800]
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RX 6800XT Master
Boot Drive: WD Black SN850X 1Tb NVMe
Data Drive: WD Black SN850X 2Tb NVMe
PSU: Corsair HX1500i Platinum
BT/Wifi: Fenvi FV-T919 802 11a/b/g/n/ac

What works
Generally, it seems to work averagely okay. For any average user, it'd probably be perfectly fine and acceptable.

• It boots just fine, but the chain of debug text certainly lasts a bit longer than my old 6thGen/Monterey build did. Not sure if that's to be expected.

• I solved my USB issues and Enumeration Errors by simply removing what I discovered to be a faulty internal-USB-hub. As soon as it was gone, all my USBs were working fine, recognition, speeds and all, as they should be.

• I solved the conflict of my Adobe programs crashing on launch, by swapping the generic [CPUFriend + DataProvider] kexts with [CPUTopologyRebuild kext + ProvideCurrentCPUInfo Quirk enabled]. I don't know if it's cosmetic or accurate, but System Settings and Geekbench successfully recognize 24cores/32threads. Cinebench recognizing the Hackintosh default 32core, not specifying threads. Hm. ..?

• Airdrop, Bluetooth and Wifi all looking good. Intel Wifi has x2 speeds compared to the Fenvi, but leaving both active causes irregularities in System Preferences >> Network, so I just unplugged the Intel. I won't be using Wifi with Mac on this computer, anyway. Ethernet's 100%.

• Separating OS boot-drive from my User Profile Data-drive proves successful. I don't know why it wasn't working before. The only thing that I changed between now and then, was the CPU Kexts. Maybe associated?

What doesn't work
• Still won't wake from sleep. Sigh. I timed it. Screensaver is indefinitely fine, but 5 minutes after display sleep, it refuses to wake. of course setting "Turn display off when inactive" to "Never" is a temporary fix, but unacceptable for long-term use. I expect the same problem that is causing this may be the same problem causing the next bit.

• Finder is slow, laggy and jittery. It isn't unbearable, but definitely noticeable. I am a very fast typist, and when typing a search query into a Finder window, it will sometimes hang up for a second. Not associated with keystroke settings in System Preferences. I am also certain that I have never seen a Macintosh Finder window say, "Loading...", in my life, heh. Scrolling is jittery and skips when viewing finder windows with lots of content.

• Applications take longer to boot than they should, sometimes almost twice or three times as long as my M2 Macbook Air.

• As mentioned before, Cinebench is still recognizing my 24-core CPU as having 32cores. I have read that 32cores is the Hackintosh default, without using ProvideCurrentCPUInfo + CPUTopologyRebuild setting it to 24. Cause for concern?

• CPU benchmarks are not impressive. Geekbench rates CPU Single-Core at 1742, multi-core 15114, while my M2 Macbook Air pulls S-2597/M-9913. Cinebench pulls 1550 Single-Core, and application crashes 9 minutes into testing Multi-Core. Oof. S-1579/M-7822 on M2 MBA.

• my cat keeps jumping on my desk and shedding everywhere. Definitely associated.

__
I expect CPU and/or power related.
If some kind soul may have any ideas on how to fix these issues, please do share~<3

EFI Zip and pList attached. Serial Numbers removed.

View attachment 570437
Set ApfsTrim to 0 for faster boot times, Enable Hyperthreading and all P-Cores and all E-Cores in Bios, change SMBIOS to iMac Pro 1.1 for better Geekbench results. Did you enable VTD in Bios? Try changing ResizeAppleGpuBars to 0, Add the below "GPRW to XPRW" to ACPI - Patch for sleep and add the attached SSDT for sleep. Also, I use OpenHfsPlus in drivers instead of HfsPlus, maybe try and see if it makes a difference.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 3.47.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 3.42.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 3.42.12 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-GPRW.aml
    105 bytes · Views: 44
Set ApfsTrim to 0 for faster boot times
That's SetApfsTrimTimeout=0

It will help in certain cases, but you will still sometimes encounter boot stalls.

You have to wait it out as the operation will respeat the next boot and not keep previous progress.

My observation is that these stalls incur drive wear equal to the free space on the volume. So if you have a large drive used entirely for the system container with lots of free space, it's being worn as if all that free space is rewritten. No a big deal for most but something to note.

same issue,still no clue on my z790 aorus master.
Hello, casstsal! I need your help, please. I have Gigabyte Z790 AORUS MASTER, and I have downloaded your EFI from github and tested it, unfortunetly, without a good ending. I always become an system kernel panic in the installation process. My components are
Intel 13900K
Gigabyte Z790 AORUS MASTER
Corsair 32GB 5600MHz memory but are put 4800MHz
AMD RX 580 graphics card 8GB
M.2 Samsung EVO 980 SSD
Please help me
and thank you very much
I've attached my log file

Attachments

• opencore-2023-09-20-183937.txt
    256 KB · Views: 31
Samsung M.2 drives can be problematic when used for macOS. Have a read of this thread for more information on this issue.

Back