Contribute
Register

Z790 Chipset & Raptor Lake

Nearly finished with my z790 Mac Studio 'alternative'.. Went all out on this guy. I was actively saving up for a real Mac Studio but my needed configuration would run about $6K, eventually I just said eff it and plunked everything down on this beast:

Gigabyte Aorus Master
Intel 13900K
Powercolor RedDevil 6950XT
Crucial Vengeance 128GB DDR5

I do a ton of content creator crap as well as a lot of VM stuff. In hindsight I'm probably making the right decision sticking with Intel as I will likely need to dual boot to a valid Windows at some point (not just a Parallels VM) for testing. I don't know the state of Parallels on Apple Silicon.

I'm going to attempt to make a build log page in a day or so if it helps someone else with a similar z790 system.

Minor issues:

1 - I'm sure this is easy but as the CPU is being spoofed as Comet Lake I have no idea how to manually fill in the blank.

2 - I don't care about wifi, but I haven't figured out the Marvell Aquantia AQC113 10gig ethernet yet. Not a huge issue, I'm using a Best Buy USB-C to Ethernet dongle for the time being but it would be nice to have.

View attachment 559359

In NVRAM like so.
Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 10.44.52 PM.png

Nearly finished with my z790 Mac Studio 'alternative'.. Went all out on this guy. I was actively saving up for a real Mac Studio but my needed configuration would run about $6K, eventually I just said eff it and plunked everything down on this beast:

Gigabyte Aorus Master
Intel 13900K
Powercolor RedDevil 6950XT
Crucial Vengeance 128GB DDR5

I do a ton of content creator crap as well as a lot of VM stuff. In hindsight I'm probably making the right decision sticking with Intel as I will likely need to dual boot to a valid Windows at some point (not just a Parallels VM) for testing. I don't know the state of Parallels on Apple Silicon.

I'm going to attempt to make a build log page in a day or so if it helps someone else with a similar z790 system.

Minor issues:

1 - I'm sure this is easy but as the CPU is being spoofed as Comet Lake I have no idea how to manually fill in the blank.

2 - I don't care about wifi, but I haven't figured out the Marvell Aquantia AQC113 10gig ethernet yet. Not a huge issue, I'm using a Best Buy USB-C to Ethernet dongle for the time being but it would be nice to have.

View attachment 559359
Do you have the problem where the system crashes when going to sleep the second time? I still haven't been able to solve this issue with my Z790 Aero G.

Do you have the problem where the system crashes when going to sleep the second time? I still haven't been able to solve this issue with my Z790 Aero G.
It is likely Gigabyte BIOS issue.

2 - I don't care about wifi, but I haven't figured out the Marvell Aquantia AQC113 10gig ethernet yet.
Is this an ACQ113 (supported) or an ACQ113C (needs spoofing)?
Is AppleVTD working?

I'll try right now! System was asleep all night.

Is this an ACQ113 (supported) or an ACQ113C (needs spoofing)?
Is AppleVTD working?

Marvell® AQtion AQC113C 10GbE LAN chip
(10 Gbps/5 Gbps/2.5 Gbps/1 Gbps/100 Mbps)

Spoofing it looks like.. i'll check this out. TY!

Tried sleep a second time...

Screen turned off but the system ultimately never did (leds/fans/etc stayed on). Walked away for about 10 minutes, came back and no visible change, so hit a few keys to see if the screen would come back, came back fine.

Not sure how asleep it actually was.

I tend to disable sleep (or full shutdown if I know I'll be away) anyway so not terribly bothered by this, but another little quirk that would be fun to have fixed.

I'm still on the F4 bios and I see there's an update to F5i. I'll try it later today.

Tried sleep a second time...

Screen turned off but the system ultimately never did (leds/fans/etc stayed on). Walked away for about 10 minutes, came back and no visible change, so hit a few keys to see if the screen would come back, came back fine.

Not sure how asleep it actually was.

I tend to disable sleep (or full shutdown if I know I'll be away) anyway so not terribly bothered by this, but another little quirk that would be fun to have fixed.

I'm still on the F4 bios and I see there's an update to F5i. I'll try it later today.
At least it doesn't totally crash. Mine the screen goes black and doesn't respond after.

Marvell® AQtion AQC113C 10GbE LAN chip
Here is a model SSDT for spoofing. Adapt to your ACPI path.
With AppleVTD enabled and ForceAquantiaEthernet quirk, this should be enough.

If AppleVTD is not enabled, and cannot be enabled (VT-d in BIOS, DisableIoMapper disabled, SetupVirtualMemoryMap enabled, possibly a custom DMAR table), then @CaseySJ has patches to make it work.

Attachments

• SSDT-AQC113C.aml
    287 bytes · Views: 48
At least it doesn't totally crash. Mine the screen goes black and doesn't respond after.

Open maciASL, press command F, and do a search to see if you have one of the following:
  • Method (GPRW, 2
  • Method (UPRW, 2
  • Device (LANC)
As of this morning my sleep is fully functional.

Back